Login

Big difference between nebula 3 server and Nebula 3 pro?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Big difference between nebula 3 server and Nebula 3 pro?

Postby scooter » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:32 pm

mightymosaic wrote:
P.s I had to re do every single one of my programs all over again with Nebula set ups... totally worth it BTW ..

Sorry, what do you mean by this? Do you mean you cleared your Temp folder?

Thanks
-Scott
scooter

Postby mightymosaic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:56 am

martin87spencer wrote:Hey Mightymosaic

Just wondered if you were on a Mac ?
I've been thinking about upgrading to Server from Pro for a while now, but I've been worried that I may have been lucky with my introduction to Nebula !
The installation and authorization process was pretty painless for me just a few months ago and I've fallen totally in love with this system, but it seems that quite a few people have problems with the Server version.
Nice to hear that your upgrade was so successful.

Hey martin, Im on Win 7 Running a 64 bit system. The upgrade was very straight forward, just hit install and thats it. Im sure once they get the mac version ready to go you'll love it. It has made a VERY significant difference. Before i installed Sever I was running a project with quite a few nebula instances and my cpu was at 70%, After i installed Server I opened up the same project and was running at 40% . thats a pretty big difference in the DAW world. I would suggest to anyone to go server. because the 70$ it was to upgrade is peanuts compared to the return.
mightymosaic

Postby mightymosaic » Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:06 am

scooter wrote:
mightymosaic wrote:
P.s I had to re do every single one of my programs all over again with Nebula set ups... totally worth it BTW ..

Thanks

When you run Nebula setups (the program for creating separate vst paths for different nebula libraries) It uses the Main Nebula VST DLL and clones it with the nebula library of your choosing. This makes Load times much faster and things run allot smoother. When you upgrade to server and the core 3 engine. It does not automatically change all the Nebula instances to the core 3 engine ONLY the main Nebula DLL. So in order for all my libraries to be running the new engine , i had to re create all new Vst Dll's for my previous libraries with nebula setups, Because they were cloned from the core 2 engine from the get go and needed to be cloned from the core 3 engine VST DLL. Hope that explains it
mightymosaic

Postby SpliffSplaff » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:52 am

Hmm...im little confused. Could someone plaese explain to a non-technical guy (like me :D ) what this ram sharing really does? Did i understand correctly that when i put f.ex the exact same rayphlex program on different tracks i gain some extra performance with the server edition (Pro 3 user here). If so then upgrading to server edition would be highly interesting. I imagine the most benefit would be in using console emus (alexs stuff)?? Would be an instant buy then...
SpliffSplaff
User Level III
User Level III

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 pm

SpliffSplaff wrote:Hmm...im little confused. Could someone plaese explain to a non-technical guy (like me :D ) what this ram sharing really does? Did i understand correctly that when i put f.ex the exact same rayphlex program on different tracks i gain some extra performance with the server edition (Pro 3 user here). If so then upgrading to server edition would be highly interesting. I imagine the most benefit would be in using console emus (alexs stuff)?? Would be an instant buy then...

Well it's pretty much like it sounds: normally in Pro when you instantiate a Nebula instance it needs to block off an area in the memory where it stores that instance running. This would be true for all subsequent instances too. With Server it will share the RAM pool for a particular program (not a library but a program) instead of opening up a new one for a new instance of a program you're already using. While this is certainly a benefit, how much of a benefit it would be to your system probably hinges around the question: do you find yourself running out of RAM much? If so then Server might really help you. If not then RAM sharing is a nice bonus which may or may not provide a tangible benefit. For me it does little because I try pretty hard not to just use the same instances over and over on each track (with multiple input paths, busses, etc. isn't that the point with a console library?).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby scooter » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Still confused

How did you create new DLL's? Are you deleting the Nebula.dll and Nebula_Reverb.dll prior to installing the upgrade to Server?
Thanks mighty

-Scott

mightymosaic wrote:
scooter wrote:
mightymosaic wrote:

Thanks

When you run Nebula setups (the program for creating separate vst paths for different nebula libraries) It uses the Main Nebula VST DLL and clones it with the nebula library of your choosing. This makes Load times much faster and things run allot smoother. When you upgrade to server and the core 3 engine. It does not automatically change all the Nebula instances to the core 3 engine ONLY the main Nebula DLL. So in order for all my libraries to be running the new engine , i had to re create all new Vst Dll's for my previous libraries with nebula setups, Because they were cloned from the core 2 engine from the get go and needed to be cloned from the core 3 engine VST DLL. Hope that explains it
-Scott
scooter

Postby mightymosaic » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:25 am

When you upgrade to nebula server it creates new DLL's.in the folder path of your choosing. If you install it to your regular nebula folder I would guess it would automatically replace the old DLL's with the new DLL's. The way to check if your running core iii is to open a nebula instance and got to the mast page.
mightymosaic

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries