Login

Please explain the Culture Vulture (HO Buzzard)?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Please explain the Culture Vulture (HO Buzzard)?

Postby cehas » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Hey, I just purchased the Buzzard since I wanted a top-notch distortion.. instead I'm getting (with the no filter settings) something that sounds like a smiley EQ curve and some compression (I have to turn down the input to avoid the compression).

Sounding gorgeous, but this is not really what I was after. Care to explain?
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Re: Please explain the Culture Vulture (HO Buzzard)?

Postby richie43 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:30 pm

This is for harmonic distortion ("warmth" and character), not distortion like guitar amp overdrive. Nebula does not do that sort of "distortion". When you see the word distortion in any Nebula topic, it is almost always referring to added harmonic contest, the kind that all ITB audio tends to lack. Google the hardware unit and read up, there is quite a bit of info about it. Does that help?
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:10 pm

yes I would not expect a substantial EQ change...could you do a vst analyser graph?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby Definity » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:12 pm

The culture vulture is essentially a compressor, but it is a compression that has distortion when you push it. So it is probably not the type of distortion you are looking for.
Definity

Postby cehas » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:47 am

Thanks for the info guys, I was looking for good distortion, instead got top-notch mastering tool. Good stuff either way. I guess I have to look elsewhere for a proper overdrive..
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Henry Olonga » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:52 am

Hey Cehas,
In the last few months a lot has been lerant including eeking out a bit more distortion performance form old libarairs. As I have been so busy with new releases it has curtailed my update work. After the next major release mid July, I will go over some older libraries and do updates and upgrades to see where I can make improvements. The Buzzard seems like it could get a little more distortion.
The Helios Preamp offers a lot more distortion than anything else I have done so try that for close to the kind of distortion you may be thinking of. Works better on compressed material. It's called Titan V2 pre in the shop. In my long thread I have an example of it.
But as Richie has said, Nebula needs a bit of work on the distortion front but every month we find new tweaks that help.
Also Gemini audio have a stellar UA 610 sampling that may well be what you want with a gooey valve sound with astonishing distorion characteristics.Try that as well.
So you could combine the Buzzard with one of the offerings I mentioned and you may get closer to what you desire. Failing that, just use a VST distortion plugin before the Buzzard and you are good to go. better still, get some real valves and drive the heck out of em :D .........Take care
Henry
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby Enclave » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:02 am

CDSM Tube Booster and Vintage Tube Collection may be what you want. Audio examples - http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-software-online/vtcaudio1.html.
Enclave
User Level III
User Level III

Postby cehas » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:13 am

Thanks, but I've settled for a conventional VST distortion since apparently Nebula isn't able to do proper overdrive (which is a shame since I'm not a fan to these digital distortions at all.)

EDIT: I totally take that back.. I was checking Gearslutz for good recommendations, and a lot of people said "Ohmicide" so I decided to try it..

Man, this thing just has to be heard to be believed. Never have I heard such CRAZY tool. :o

Bit OT, sorry :D
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Return to 3rd party libraries