Login

Pultec & 1176

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Pultec & 1176

Postby LeVzi » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:41 pm

After having a break from producing, i've taken the time to look into something a bit different. I don't come from the age of the analog box but have heard many examples of how good they can be.

I've spent a bit of time demo'ing various VST's, some are quite good, others are not what I was hoping for. I know Nebula holds the key here, so I have been looking around at some of the libraries that are about. Uncertain what is really recommended, I thought i'd ask the community for your advice.

As far as I am aware, there is no 1176 library as such, but one is being done. I could be wrong though and a good 1176 library exists yet I missed it. Any pointers are appreciated.

Also, the Pultec EQP-1A3 very appreciated, and used, is something else I'd like to have in the arsenal, should I need it. I have found some info and libraries on this, but again, any recommendations are appreciated here. I use the libraries that come with Nebula a lot anyway, so I think it's time I embraced just what Nebula can really do in the full way, and instead of always going for VST options 1st, look into the Nebula :)

Thanks in advance.
LeVzi
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Pultec & 1176

Postby richie43 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:47 pm

All of the 3rd party devs have their versions of a Pultec, I would recommend any or all (I have all, for variety!).
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:51 pm

http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=3084 Blue stripe clone....

I warn that this will not do extreme threshold though as most nebula compressors. The most extreme sounding is his 165a.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby LeVzi » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:31 pm

timp wrote:http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=3084 Blue stripe clone....

I warn that this will not do extreme threshold though as most nebula compressors. The most extreme sounding is his 165a.

Thanks for this, much appreciated

richie43 wrote:All of the 3rd party devs have their versions of a Pultec, I would recommend any or all (I have all, for variety!).

Yeah I am not asking for "the best" at all really, like you said variety would be nice, but mainly looking for a good starting point, would be mainly used as track EQ too. Same as the 1176 would be for track work on drums in particular. I'm aware of CDSoundmasters, AlexR and AITB sites, any more I should be aware of ?
LeVzi
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby richie43 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:55 pm

LeVzi wrote:Yeah I am not asking for "the best" at all really, like you said variety would be nice, but mainly looking for a good starting point, would be mainly used as track EQ too. Same as the 1176 would be for track work on drums in particular. I'm aware of CDSoundmasters, AlexR and AITB sites, any more I should be aware of ?

Those are the main 3 for the Pultec that I like. If you want to start with one, just pick one. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorite, but it's all subjective of course. They are all great, "authentic", and will give you amazing analog color to your digital audio that I think only Nebula can. And if you are new to Nebula, you need to know that using them is not like using other VST's, your work-flow will need to adjust. And Nebula is a major CPU hog. But even with those points, I have eliminated more than half of my VST's and have gladly changed my work-flow. I do come from an analog audio past and using Nebula enabled me to have the warm and sonically deep sound that I was missing in digital audio. Frequent this forum, it is full of experienced and helpful people! have fun!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby LeVzi » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Thanks, I will do that.

As regards what nebula can do

"how deep does this rabbit hole go"
LeVzi
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby richie43 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:49 am

LeVzi wrote:Thanks, I will do that.

As regards what nebula can do

"how deep does this rabbit hole go"

For me the rabbit hole is endless, but I am loving what Nebula has done to my work. I have a hard time working up a non-Nebula mix anymore, at least a completely ITB mix, which I do. It is a deep, dep hole that I haven't tried getting out of yet.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Return to 3rd party libraries