Login

.ser protection..

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

.ser protection..

Postby farjedi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Hello, this is a continuation of the copyprotection theme that kind of took over AlexB's Modern White eq thread. I didn't want to perpetuate the 'exchange of views' there, so I set this thread up.

This hasn't been created to argue whether copy protection is good or bad, I respect the need to copy protect works, whether they be Nebula libraries or musical ideas/recordings, whatever they are no one has the 'right' to steal someones product and jeopardize their income.

However a very valid point has been made by norburybrook, in that with the ever increasing volume of programs, should all 3rd parties adopt this form of copy protection (AlexB is saying that 3rd party companies have directly requested this, so I can see that happening) we will be sending off an ever increasing number of .ser files everytime we change computers or hard drives.(Imagine when you have 50 programs or more!)

Surely there could be a more streamlined method than this?
So I've thought of a quick idea that might be a better alternative. If someone sees wholes in it or has a better solution then post it. Perhaps someone will come up with the answer that will satisfy the developers need to protect his work from being stolen and the consumer who wants hassle free access to the stuff he's paid for.

My idea is that each Nebula customer has a 'license centre' type area, here each time a new 3rd party library is bought the information is added to the customers license centre and varified by the 3rd party.
Then a Nebula .dll is automatically made (perhaps with an option of which version number you would like), this .dll contains all the customers individual information regarding which libraries are owned and therefore unencrypted.
OK, so if you've bought 50 libraries, you will need to repeat this process 50 times(unless you buy multiple libraries at the same time of course), download the nebula.dll and overwrite your existing one, but the important difference is should you switch computers or hard drive you only need download 1 file to reinstate your nebula libraries. Furthermore should a 3rd party shut their business for whatever reason, you can still unencrypt your files after they've stopped answering emails :D

I think this in the long run is a better system, although I can't say how easy it is to set up but I think it's feasible.

I hope this isn't seen as 'paraniod mental masturbation' and more as a suggestion as to what I can forsee as being a bit of a problem in the future...
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Re: .ser protection..

Postby analoginthebox.com » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Ok, I copy from the other thread into this one:

My partner and I deceided not to use it YET.

Probably the wild sharing doesn't kill big company but can do it for a single developer or little company.

For this reason we will introduce it sooner or later.
BUT:
Before we will port the code to perl/php, so authorizations can be created immidiately by customers on the AITB homepage.
Giancarlo and I already had an almost perfect working solution, but it was to much designed only for AITB and not for all developers, so he developed something new.
I did not start working on portating this protection yet, but once I've completed this I'll send it to the other 3rd party developers as well.

Velinas
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby farjedi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:29 pm

OK cool, well it's good to know solutions are in development..great..
I still think one central place where all Nebula libraries are handled is better. If AITB goes down (god forbid), all website and customer support ceases, if Nebula site handles licenses I can continue with using your libraries..
Last edited by farjedi on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby analoginthebox.com » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:30 pm

About licensing multiple libraries at the same time:

It should be no problem to upload all your .ser as a zip and receive and authorizations either

1) by an dynamically created installer
2) or as a zip file again.

We will take care of this WHEN we introduce the copy protection. solution is not hard to find, but i really need much more time. Currently I'm working to much on a lot new libraries :)

Velinas
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby farjedi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:47 pm

The installer idea is good and time saving..do you not think that there should be a central place for a customers licenses to be handled from.? I am just thinking of the most time saving way of getting libraries to work after a new install or something. As the number of developers grow it becomes a bit of a task, although I appreciate reinstall isn't an everyday occurence.
Also what if companies die and their websites and support cease? A central solution will mean you only lose access to your programs if Acustica stops trading..
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby lordnielson » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:56 pm

The real solution to this is to invest in hardware instead. It's yours till you sell it. Or rent gear and use Nat to make private libraries.

The extent to which I am against this developement makes me think that there may be something wrong with me or my views on the rights you yield as a software customer.

Remember the Sony cd copy protection scandal. Ended up costing them alot more than pirating could.

I have never seen nor heard of a shared Nebula program. Where do you boys get this info from ?
lordnielson

Postby farjedi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:17 pm

Well, even if you had access to all your programs and for some reason Acustica was no more, they'd be no guarantee that within a few operating systems time that Nebula plugin would work anymore..
Unless your going to use the same computer for your life and outdated software..
I understand your concern tho, but hardware replacements aren't an option at present.
Even hardware will break and maybe you can't get the spare part you need and it gathers dust in the corner..
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby ngarjuna » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Just to interject: I've authorized two products with AlexB and so far I've not waited more than two hours (I think) for the serial. That could be a matter of luck or time of day I suppose but that immediately eased any initial unease I felt about a new layer of authentication.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby lordnielson » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:47 pm

farjedi wrote:Well, even if you had access to all your programs and for some reason Acustica was no more, they'd be no guarantee that within a few operating systems time that Nebula plugin would work anymore..
Unless your going to use the same computer for your life and outdated software..
I understand your concern tho, but hardware replacements aren't an option at present.
Even hardware will break and maybe you can't get the spare part you need and it gathers dust in the corner..

If you buy antiquated hardware you factor the odds in there that it may be a limited run. That should never be the case with new software. Apples and oranges.

If Niklas can get a fully automated online authorisation algorithm up and running that could work I suppose.
lordnielson

Postby farjedi » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:02 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Just to interject: I've authorized two products with AlexB and so far I've not waited more than two hours (I think) for the serial. That could be a matter of luck or time of day I suppose but that immediately eased any initial unease I felt about a new layer of authentication.

Yes, I too have had a fairly good experience of it, although obviously it seemed like an annoying extra step, but nothing too bad. The points about support and managing the number of .ser files we are likely to have during the lifetime of Nebula is worth a bit of a debate tho..
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries