Login

CDSoundMaster 1950's All-Tube Mixer/EQ Combo - GET IT NOW!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: CDSoundMaster 1950's All-Tube Mixer/EQ Combo - GET IT NOW!!!

Postby mordecainyc » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:44 pm

Sounds intruiging! Any chance you could post an mp3 of the mix?
mordecainyc
User Level V
User Level V

Postby lordnielson » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:50 am

Question for Michael:

When you use the Bogen as a virtual console, which exact program(s) do you use for masterbus ? I've noticed that the more driven channels lose bass.
lordnielson

Postby cdsoundmaster » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:32 pm

Hi there!
I actually think that the "BEQ-HIGH-K7" is really nice for master buss. You get 7 kernels and if you need more bass response it is easy to reduce the wide high shelf eq by less than 1dB to even it out a little. Most of the drive/eq change that leads to smooth low reduction is coming from the output power tubes moreso than the preamp input tubes, so you're right when it drives a little harder it rounds out a little. I like this for things like keys and bass especially when they start very unprocessed. Since the Bogen is dimensional and rich in effect it can build up quickly if used on all tracks. I think the "BEQ-HIGH-K7" is a nice final master control and it can still be pushed if desired, but just a little nudge downward on the highs can smooth out the spectrum. I hope that helps.

lordnielson wrote:Question for Michael:

When you use the Bogen as a virtual console, which exact program(s) do you use for masterbus ? I've noticed that the more driven channels lose bass.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby lordnielson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:23 pm

Thanks Michael.

I was thinking console rather than eq. But it appears that you use the program you mention as an actual master console channel. So I assume you answered the question :mrgreen:
lordnielson

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:56 am

Hi,
yes for master buss I like having the eq rather than a line or mic preamp if I want to contour the shape of the spectrum for the full mix. Since it still gets a full range of harmonic distortion it works really nice.

lordnielson wrote:Thanks Michael.

I was thinking console rather than eq. But it appears that you use the program you mention as an actual master console channel. So I assume you answered the question :mrgreen:
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby highvoltage » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:32 pm

The low + high eq combo on this eq makes for the best "smiley" shapes for modern production. Its very hard to set evenly, cause it jumps all over the place in reaction to each other - dunno if its like the original design - but there are several sweet spots with fine tuning, and the sound is something on its own ballpark.
highvoltage

Postby Barendse » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:36 pm

highvoltage wrote:The low + high eq combo on this eq makes for the best "smiley" shapes for modern production. Its very hard to set evenly, cause it jumps all over the place in reaction to each other - dunno if its like the original design - but there are several sweet spots with fine tuning, and the sound is something on its own ballpark.

+1

VST Analyzer might be helpfull here.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:48 pm

The high/low eq is extremely wide shelf and extremely inter-dependent, meaning that one affects the other at each position.
But, they both also interact with the harmonics a great deal. Sometimes looking at the visual spectrum is less helpful than others, bc the sound is shaping according to overtones in addition to frequency. The smiley face scooped sounds are my favorite on this device. It shares similarities with the preamp/rectifier combo in awesome guitar amps as well- when you curve the eq a little and then push it gently it thickens the mids even though they are quieter- really fun sculpting. I always like to keep in mind with hardware like this- and 90% of the high end eq's- that the hardware never had a spectrum read-out, and people fall in love with the sound having never had anything but the ears and knobs.
Barendse wrote:
highvoltage wrote:The low + high eq combo on this eq makes for the best "smiley" shapes for modern production. Its very hard to set evenly, cause it jumps all over the place in reaction to each other - dunno if its like the original design - but there are several sweet spots with fine tuning, and the sound is something on its own ballpark.

+1

VST Analyzer might be helpfull here.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby babiuk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks, Michael, for this MARVEL!!!
It´s what I´ve been looking for so long time. I got the 60s sounds I dig "at the first pass" :D
JUst by using a input and the eqs of bogen I got immediately that sound.
I have done a full use of it in a set of songs I recorded with my surf/instro band The Bakelites.
You can take a listen of the power of Bogen in the line of 60s in this soundcloud link:

http://soundcloud.com/babiuk/sets/the-bakelites

Millions of thanks to Michael
babiuk
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby greekpeet » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:53 pm

babiuk wrote:Thanks, Michael, for this MARVEL!!!
It´s what I´ve been looking for so long time. I got the 60s sounds I dig "at the first pass" :D
JUst by using a input and the eqs of bogen I got immediately that sound.
I have done a full use of it in a set of songs I recorded with my surf/instro band The Bakelites.
You can take a listen of the power of Bogen in the line of 60s in this soundcloud link:

http://soundcloud.com/babiuk/sets/the-bakelites

Millions of thanks to Michael

This is really rad stuff, your right on the money about the instant 60s kind of vibe. Really dig the surf rock you all are doing, and this library matches it perfect.

:mrgreen:
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries