Login

CDSoundMaster 1950's All-Tube Mixer/EQ Combo - GET IT NOW!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: CDSoundMaster 1950's All-Tube Mixer/EQ Combo - GET IT NOW!!!

Postby HIFIDELITY » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Hallo GreekPeet,I just read your post and am very intrested and would love some insight into how you implimented this program in your Dance Track Mix? I primarily pruduce Drum and Bass and am always looking for tools to add a bit of character and warmth to my digital mixes, So after reading your post i was really exited! I have and use Alexb CLC and really love it for the aggressive punch it brings to the table,but i do find it a tad subtle! So after reading your post i thought this new program would really compliment the CLC, Would you agree with this? Also i would love to know how you set this up for the Mix Down of the Dance Track and did you use the EQ from the program or from another source! and last but no means lest, Which other plug-ins or nebula programs if any did you use along side this program? Oh,one more thing,i know the program you are refering to for micheals next release and was wondering if you think i should wait for that one before purchasing this one? i know that getting the two would be the answer,but money isnt my best friend at the moment! :( Kind Regards
HIFIDELITY
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby greekpeet » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:01 am

HIFI,

Found after I processed the whole mix, through the various stages my feeling and thinking was focused on finding the strength of this program and what material to use it on.

I found that metallic, electronic, mechanical, and electric sounds are phenomenal through this program. Also this could really shine on some DnB percussion based loops to really cut through and give some edge without sounding harsh.

I would most deffo recommend this on top of the CLC.

Let me make some examples that are more geared to what you would find in your style and I'll get back to you with some examples!
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby HIFIDELITY » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi peet, thanx for the reply. Those examples would be great and i also think im going to go ahead and buy the program anyway! from what you have said already i think its just what im looking for to dirty up that prestine digital sound i find myself with so often! Which other programs do you find yourself useing when you mixdown electronica/dance? I was thinking of opening a thread dedicted to useing nebula within the production and mixing of sampled based Electronic/Dance music! because i really do feel that there is a huge difference between recording/tracking and mixing bands/instruments/vocals/ect with nebula to producing and mixing useing only samples/virtual instruments and plugins! and because of this i sometimes wonder which nebula programs would be better suited to the latter! Would you say this is a wise asumption peet? or would you disagree? i would love to hear your thoughts on this before i start a new thread! I just think it would be exellent for all the Electronic/Dance music producers to have a place to discuss mixing and producing with nebula as oppossed to sifting through every tread in the hope of finding something related to Hip-Hop/DnB/Techno/Trance/House/etc. production! Kind Regards
HIFIDELITY
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby domandroland » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:20 am

This rocks for dnb :D
---
www.domandroland.com
New singles with Noisia and Amon Tobin out soon.
domandroland
User Level I
User Level I

Postby greekpeet » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:58 am

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you and I didn't get to make any examples as I'm using Nebula on Mac with Logic. Its pretty horrible and at this point it takes so long to get stuff done I would have gotten you examples up that day.

Sadly with ever increasing deadlines I have to abandon Nebula as a mix platform, and not due to CPU or Ram constraints. Though if there is a big project and I have a week to do a mix then I could make some recommendations.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby greekpeet » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:23 am

N-TEN-AT4 EQ/CHANNEL STRIP COMBO
R2R- The Essential Analog Tape Collection
Nice EQ
Alex B MBC
Alex B MWC
Alex B Modern Tube Pre
Mammoth EQ
DocFear

I find myself only use Nebula for master bus duties until the AU gets sorted proper.

I bounced my stems out to individual channels, and raw un-Nebualized audio files, that already have the digital fx, and compression. This avoids issues with CPU, dealing with other plugins in the mix, ect. I have to focus 100% on the mixing part and not dealing with a filter plugin that I have to move around, THEN deal with the automation, ect with all these crazy CPU/RAM intensive programs on top of it and be effective.

If you wanted to you could render out your synths through an input, then go through your software fx, then going into the input stage set below..

Start with your inputs
1a) MWC/MBC Input 1 for Kicks and basses.
1b) MWC/MBC Inputs 3-6 or N-Ten (depending on source) for most synths
1c) Bodgen for those sounds that are like electricity, bell like, or metalic. Works well on other sources, but this is my personal preference.
2) I usually always go to tape, and 99% of the time its usually Studer -10 db @ 15 ips to add some inward harmonics, yet retain the tonal characteristics. I save tonal changes for my eqs and or use the other tapes in the R2R library as sort of an eq effect.
3) Love the cuts in the N-Ten to roll off the bass (70-160 hz) on every channel except kick, bass, and sub.
4) Choose your weapon! I mean EQ! This is a totally subjective thing but I find myself doing tonal eqing with the wide range of tools avail. I use eq to enhance the sound and not really try and make corrections as I get 99% of the mix already by shaping the individual synths to the mix itself. Things should sound pretty right on before I even apply the first instance of Nebula. I learned the hard way of trying to 'fix it in the mix'!

I love the tube stuff on the Nice eq, great for adding non muddy 750hz or 1.5khz, I add at times no more than 4db, most times 2 is all you need. Good at boosting a bit of top with a shelf, or even the lower mids and doesn't sound like dark woofy mud. I never realized how great this program was until the last mix I did, and I bought it on a whim the day it came out.
Sounds great on everything!

Mammoth eq is beautiful for cutting a little bit of low mids without making it sound weak, or on the inverse boosting low mids and mids.
This is also a good over all solid eq for adding a bit to upper mids/highs.

DocFear Low +/- is amazing for using on kick/bass tracks and eqing them together. DocFear seems to be my go to low end guy when I have time to mix with Neb. The high end boost on DF is fantastic for adding a bit of top on a kick. I like the mid cuts on this, but don't love them, very very good though. I like the Nice EQ and the N-TEN for mid range cuts a bit better than Doc Fear.

The N-TEN and 115Focal Points are work horses, and you could do an entire mix with the N-TEN and not look back. When I can't get the control of what I want and a specific boost in a specific band I go to these two hands down.

I've been through the gamut of over eqing not by boosting with these programs, but cutting too much and thinning out the sound (luckally I always turned back, learned the hard way and got it right). I would get the sound I like before I would even start the Neb mix, but doing little boosts for tone, and tonal shaping between tracks makes a good solid mix an amazing one.

I find that a little goes a long way, and doing one track at a time, and hearing the changes, with patience is the key. I don't like rendering out 5 instances of a preamp on the sound just because...

I actually run the console input, into tape, then into the cut eq, then into my tone shaper (R2R or EQ, or both) all at the same time. Yes its CPU intensive, but I do one channel at a time. Though there is so much weirdness with latency, programs not loading I gave up, but doesn't mean you couldn't do it this way. When this does work correctly, I'm very pleased with the results, and if there was time for the process sans problems then ten times out of ten its worth it for the sound.

A good master bus chain would be something like this:
1) A hi-fi console of your choosing, MBC, MWC, or N-TEN.
2) Studer Tape -15 db @ 30 ips <- I really love this one specific program, works on every track. I liked the OTR's clarity @ 30 ips, but it took away too much bass for this style of music. The Studer @ 30 ips seems to be the real winner for the master bus, and 15 ips for mix.
3) Alex B Modern Tube Pre (I like the Telefunken in 90% of cases, or the Mullard works well too).

My logic is when coming off the master bus as i've done all my processing its going through the master output, to tape, and then your 'playing it off of tape' through a nice tube preamp every time :)

I find that using even this on the master bus gives more presence, volume, and real loudness without ever having to use a limiter. I had a new track played out last week with only the mix down, no Nebula on any of the channels except the master bus explained above. ZERO LIMITING OR COMPRESSION on the master bus. The track sounded AWESOME and people went NUTS on the dance floor.

Again it had ZERO COMPRESSION OR LIMITING on the master bus and the only thing the Dj had to do was turn up the gain barely at all. He never even mentioned it was 'too quiet'. In fact it sounded louder, and the bass fuller than the next record he played!
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Barendse » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:21 pm

I like the Bogen more and more. Unsatisfied by the other consoles (they are just too subtle) I started to use the Bogen again. I did render the tracks through several most colourfull Bogen programs and did the final mix with the S*L buss programs.

It came out perfect!
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby piperboy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Can U post it?
piperboy
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Barendse » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:05 pm

piperboy wrote:Can U post it?

1 take 8track recording with a Korg D888. Recorded in my rehearsel room with low budet mics like the NT1-a and just the pre amps of the D888.

Tracks rendered with Bogen and R2R, final mix with S*L buss programs.

Edit 31.08.2010: pushed the track a little more.
Last edited by Barendse on Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Henry Olonga » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:22 am

I am sooooooooooo loving this console......just thought I would say
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries