Login

CDSoundMaster 1950's All-Tube Mixer/EQ Combo - GET IT NOW!!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: CDSoundMaster 1950's All-Tube Mixer/EQ Combo - GET IT NOW!!!

Postby farjedi » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:07 am

Thanks Michael for the new audio demonstration, the tonal changes/improvements are very obvious and I have more of an idea now..
That and the comments from greekpeet persuaded me to purchase this. Looking forward to testing it out myself today..
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby farjedi » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:48 am

Now I've played with this for a few hours I can make a few comments.
Tried the eq's first and they are good tone shapers, bass boost didn't get muddy just incredibly full. Hi boost from my brief test would seem like used when after something a little less 'hi fi', like the siemens it has a unique sound, and probably pulled out for special occasions. But I'll have to play with it more, just my initial thoughts.
Then I tried the Line programs. I must admit to begin with I was dissapointed because I couldn't get any significant breakup/fuzz out of it, even with raising input in Glob page. I was thinking it was just another subtle console program or mine was somehow faulty and then I tried the Mic program with the highest gain on a vocal. Eureka!
I was using a hiphop vocal of a guy who records round mine and by raising the the input I could go from anywhere between vibey bite to pretty nice fuzz and all from one instance. (it's pretty usefull when pushing it to have a compressor before Nebula, to catch potential glitch makers).
This made me really happy, as I've been searching for a non analog way of getting that bite for a long time, tried many a plugin and no joy, and here it is :)
Using the same High drive Mic program I tried various synth sounds and it seemed to analogify the soft synth nicely, especially when driving it hard. I did notice that bass got eaten up the high it got driven but an instance of the low eq seemed to remedy that perfectly.
I tried it out on a kick and snare and got some nice dirt on them, it never sounded phoney or pluginey, which is a first for kick drum distortion especially.
Michael, out of curiousity what is the differnce between BOG-F-L-DH-K11 and BOG-F-L-HI-K11?.the descriptions in the manual are the same, is DH higher gain, I can't quite make it out..
Congratulations Michael, you seem to be a magician with Nebula and Nat, could this be the start of more programs with higher thd content? From my point of view, with a myriad of subtle-ish preamps and console programs it is really nice to be able to coax the non subtle from a program and experience more of the full range of the gear.
Learning what you have with this set of prgrams, is there no way to get tapebooster to get more saturation out of one instance.?.currently it takes a lot..Cheers
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Barendse » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:51 pm

If you're looking for an old sound with less hifi this is the one. I'll stick with the MBC PRO.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Metalblast » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:29 pm

also for me
Metalblast
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby cdsoundmaster » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi!

For TapeBooster+ and the others, there are tweaks for getting more gain, but not without getting into less realistic results. The max settings in TB+ are the best to stick with for that true sound. The 3rd stage project will address everything that follows:)

With the Bogen, the the difference between the DH and Hi settings are the actual positions of the channel and output. The high setting is just slightly overdriven and in Nebula is tuned and edited to reflect this position. The DH is "Drive" at a higher gain on channel and master on the actual unit. Look at this like "low, medium, high, drive" as far as tube settings. Then, each has an edited amount in Nebula which represents how you want your track to interact with the tube settings. Drive High is as far as you want to push, but you can use slightly lower 'drive' on Neb and use multiple instances for great color!

Thanks!

farjedi wrote:Now I've played with this for a few hours I can make a few comments.
Tried the eq's first and they are good tone shapers, bass boost didn't get muddy just incredibly full. Hi boost from my brief test would seem like used when after something a little less 'hi fi', like the siemens it has a unique sound, and probably pulled out for special occasions. But I'll have to play with it more, just my initial thoughts.
Then I tried the Line programs. I must admit to begin with I was dissapointed because I couldn't get any significant breakup/fuzz out of it, even with raising input in Glob page. I was thinking it was just another subtle console program or mine was somehow faulty and then I tried the Mic program with the highest gain on a vocal. Eureka!
I was using a hiphop vocal of a guy who records round mine and by raising the the input I could go from anywhere between vibey bite to pretty nice fuzz and all from one instance. (it's pretty usefull when pushing it to have a compressor before Nebula, to catch potential glitch makers).
This made me really happy, as I've been searching for a non analog way of getting that bite for a long time, tried many a plugin and no joy, and here it is :)
Using the same High drive Mic program I tried various synth sounds and it seemed to analogify the soft synth nicely, especially when driving it hard. I did notice that bass got eaten up the high it got driven but an instance of the low eq seemed to remedy that perfectly.
I tried it out on a kick and snare and got some nice dirt on them, it never sounded phoney or pluginey, which is a first for kick drum distortion especially.
Michael, out of curiousity what is the differnce between BOG-F-L-DH-K11 and BOG-F-L-HI-K11?.the descriptions in the manual are the same, is DH higher gain, I can't quite make it out..
Congratulations Michael, you seem to be a magician with Nebula and Nat, could this be the start of more programs with higher thd content? From my point of view, with a myriad of subtle-ish preamps and console programs it is really nice to be able to coax the non subtle from a program and experience more of the full range of the gear.
Learning what you have with this set of prgrams, is there no way to get tapebooster to get more saturation out of one instance.?.currently it takes a lot..Cheers
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby farjedi » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Been getting some weird behaviour, but audio is sounding glitch free until I bounce and then it's a pretty good vinyl effect. It's on a bass sound, using the DH line program..like I say it sounds fine in playback..possible cause?

just to clarify, I have succesfuly bounced the bass using another Nebula program a pre program from the PEQ

just to add something else, it seems to be fine in realtime rendering..very strange..perhaps it's a one off problem within this project never encountered it before
farjedi
User Level X
User Level X

Postby david1103 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:27 am

you are killing me with the '3rd stage project'! please could give us a clue what it can do? maybe post an audio 'teaser'? :D
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Barendse » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:52 am

After playing a little more with the Bogen programs I have to say it is really great for bringing up the dirt. It works well for bass, vox and synth. I also love the low eq program, it can delivers some real character.

I didn't like the programs in the console configuration (track-->group-->buss). But that's maybe because I'm not after the sound of the 50's.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby greekpeet » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:53 pm

I agree, I did an entire mix of a dance track through it, and yes it sounded very good, but like a dance track through a 50s mixer.

Point is there is no other program that can deliver this character. Awesome on synths, or on a break beat drum loop....

Michaels next release that I've gotten to beta is so smooooooooth and pure compared to this one.

Buy everything just to be on the safe side. :D
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Barendse » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:58 pm

greekpeet wrote:I agree, I did an entire mix of a dance track through it, and yes it sounded very good, but like a dance track through a 50s mixer.

Point is there is no other program that can deliver this character. Awesome on synths, or on a break beat drum loop....

Michaels next release that I've gotten to beta is so smooooooooth and pure compared to this one.

Buy everything just to be on the safe side. :D

3 N**e consoles to choose from, pure luxury.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries