Login

cupwise freeby/tubefm4 preview

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

cupwise freeby/tubefm4 preview

Postby Cupwise » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:15 am

Excuse me if I ramble a bit-

So, I've put a pretty enormous amount of time into this set which I've just now got to an almost finished state. Before I can release it though, I have to set up the page on my site where I talk about it, try to convince you to buy it, I need some audio clips showing it off, to finish the manual, and blahblahblah. That stuff is so tedious to do and I'm not looking forward to it. That's besides the fact that I have no idea how to show this set off in a few short mp3s, because I honestly feel like you could mess around with these effects for a whole day on a single drum loop and still not hear all of the possibilities, so how do you show that in a short clip? I feel like I've created a monster here, and I have little idea how to handle it. I *can* say now that the price will be fairly higher than my previous stuff, and I have a whole list of reasons why. I haven't settled on a number yet.

Main point of this message though, is that I want to get something of this out there, NOW. Because I can't say when everything will be ready, and I can't keep it completely to myself anymore. So purely on impulse, I decided to go ahead and toss this freeby/preview into the waters.

It will be found in 'rad', then 'tbfm4', and a side-chain version in 'ext S' from there, which stands for 'external sidechain'. Won't work with any free Nebula. It's not crippled in any way (but there is a 10k version in the full set and this is 'only' 8). For now there is only this 96k version, I'll do a 44k one when I feel like it and post that here too. Try it with drums, guitar, etc.

Yes, I am being a bit mysterious about this (intentionally) :twisted: . I'm just going to post a link here to the file, and say this: there are over 40 more of these, most have between 15-20hrs behind their creation, and they all sound different.
And they kick ass.

http://www.cupwise.com/sup/tube-fm4-freeby-96k.zip
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: cupwise freeby/tubefm4 preview

Postby yewtreemagic » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:24 am

Ooh - this looks (and sounds) most interesting.

I won't spoil the surprise for other Nebula users, but expect something a little out of the ordinary using some clever lateral thinking and a new twist 8-)

Well done Tim - looking forward to hearing more :mrgreen:

Martin
Martin Walker
YewTreeMagic
yewtreemagic
User Level V
User Level V

Postby pipamail » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:30 pm

Another unorthodox library by Cupwise is arriving! :D
The demo is more than promising :idea:
pipamail
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Cupwise » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:57 pm

this is a huge post but the set is huge, with a few different ideas in it, so here's an almost comprehensive breakdown-

I wanted to have effects with more distortion possible, made from tube radios, back when I did Tube FM1 (actually sampled that over summer of 2010). In Tube FM1, the loudest captured sample of each effect was right around the point where the radios began compressing/saturating the signal. So, I didn't really TRY to get a more overdriven result, but one test showed me that it wouldn't work too well anyway. Tube FM1 was about capturing the sound of the radios' circuitry/tubes/transformers, at 'normal' signal levels, but even back then I was thinking about how cool it would be to do something more nasty.

Nebula's ability with compression has come a long way since then, so I looked back into it a few months back. I always thought about trying to make a 'compressor' style program to see if that produced a result with more obvious compression. By that, I mean the way it loads in Nebula. Compressor programs have the thresh/ratio controls, and the attack/release behavior is sampled from the real thing. So I tried that with the radios, sending a really hot signal in, and 'rendering' it as a compressor effect. Basically I personally feel that, YES, it is much better to do it that way. I've sampled things that were totally squashed using the common 'preamp' style setups, and couldn't notice any compression in the end result. Doing it this way, it's definitely there, and it seems to make the distortion more obvious too.

So I bought two old, kinda junky but kinda cool solid state PA amps, a Bogen and University. Then I got a really cool old tube amp that was pulled from a Philco phono/radio console (those big wooden things from ye olden times). I used these 3 amps to send really hot signals into 5 of the 6 radios I've used for my previous stuff (I killed the Admiral radio, it's dead :cry: ). So there are a few 'overdrive' effects for each radio, and a couple for the Philco amp also. These are the 'nicest' effects.

Then there are other things like 'dist+' effects where I had other sources of distortion which then went through the radios. There are some effects I made where I mic'd the radios (overdriven), and some where I used a ripped up speaker when I did that. The results of the torn speaker ones didn't come out quite as messed up as I hoped but they are still good.

One cool thing I did was I used FM transmitters in some cases, but with the station tuner knob on the radio tuned slightly OFF of the signal. I noticed when doing previous effects, that if you tuned these things *just* right (or wrong, depending how you look at it), you get a completely insane and awesome darth vader/dalek effect going. I knew Nebula wouldn't be able to fully recreate it, but tried sampling it anyway. Some of those programs aren't TOO unusual, but others.... almost sound like the real thing, and i don't know HOW or WHY, but they do.

There are other things too. Most were done as compressors, so they have real sampled attack/release behavior. To give more control with that, I sampled the attack/release envelopes at different speeds, resulting in exaggerated (faster or slower) behaviors. It works well in most cases, and gives more ability sculpting transients and the distortion content. In a couple of cases the 'exaggerated' envelopes came out wacky, but sometimes in a cool way, like one effect where it almost seems like a 'reverse' thing, where sounds fade in (at a certain attack position). i could fix or remove that, but i'm keeping it in. you can always use the authentic behavior which is the default position they load in.

the freeby i gave away here is one of the nicer overdrive style effects in the set.

-tim
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:52 am

Sounds really great!!,

I wondered about this myself before for sampling tape libary's.
Maybe a R2r mk11 ;)
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:56 pm

yeah, i think it would work well there too (with tapes).

i have to admit though, nebula's limitations do come into play. with heavy overdrive the bass becomes more of a problem, just like with compressor programs. so with many of the effects in my set, you need to use a filtered side-chain, at least for things like guitars. drums usually seem to be ok.

the internal side-chain g is working on will make this kind of stuff a lot easier to use.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby elam » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:38 pm

Cupwise wrote:the internal side-chain g is working on will make this kind of stuff a lot easier to use.

For sure.

I just downloaded your preview library Tim.I'm ashamed because I wanted to come back here AFTER testing it ! But I might not have a lot of free time next week !

So I thank you ahead :lol: anyway.Reading your post,it sounds really promising.

Stay focus...
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby marcpinol » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:29 pm

I just checked the demo and I have to say that I never thought that Nebula could sound this way.

Amazing, just amazing.

Awaiting for the final release!
marcpinol
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby prosodio » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:52 am

Tried it with drums, on an aux channel, and it sounds amazing!!!! This special effects are a great thing to make mixes sound different, you can create your own sound using your imagination. Read how, for example, Tchad Blake likes to use guitar stomp boxes in aux channels for fattening things up like the sansamp classic pedal. I think cupwise libraries walk toward this approach...

Greetings
prosodio
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Cupwise » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 pm

drums are my favorite thing to mess around with using these effects.
:)
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries