Login

"ARQ" from CDS Now Released !!!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: "ARQ" from CDS Now Released !!!

Postby cdsoundmaster » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:49 am

Wow! Everyone gives great answers! :-) Thank you for helping cover the first questions.

Regarding use with ADB - It is great when used with any console package. The eq section of the ARQ is used for patching into mixes in tracking, mixing and by many mastering facilities, so it can be used in your console signal chain not just with the ADB, which is logical since it is in the same family, but with any chain where you want the impact of this eq.

Specific to ADB - consider it an ideal hybrid- I would recommend using ADB channel no eq - ARQ band desired - tape if desired. Bus and mains can use just the ADB, but it is awesome using ARQ on bus groups for drums, group vocals, etc. as well.

The ADB and ARQ, as preamps, both have nice color with and without eq. The ADB, though famous for being the more colorful of the two, tends to actually sit flatter with all eq's set to zero. The ARQ uses a unique path for each filter section, so you get a unique slope for each even zero'd out- so use the graphs as a visual tool for the best option in signal chain.

When using ARQ as a preamp, I recommend using the Mic Preamp with PAD for the most accurate setting. The 'no pad' is included because sometimes people like to patch, reamp, or drive the gain different depending, but the pad helps give the right impedence and therefore accurate spectrum.

And yes, the ADB and ARQ are closely related enough that using as a hybrid makes a lot of sense.

And finally, more good news: something special has been on the bench for weeks and seems to have survived its restoration successfully, hopefully completing the Tride-N-Tru channel strip family in the near future. I will blog about it once I do the final benchmarking. It should be fully restored now with only original parts and customized with my power supply.

I hope the ARQ gets the attention it deserves. It is understandable why it has lived in its own little island of favoritism for many years and now it joins the NebPro museum of preserved sonic excellence! :-)

God Bless You,
Michael
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby greekpeet » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:02 pm

Three words for this library: clarity, musicality, and tone.

Out of all of the other libraries I own this one is my favorite for tracking purposes.

Someone mentioned the low/mid is a bit 'woofy' and if cranked too much, maybe, but not for me. Source dependent I might be able to see that.

On Friday I compared the Mammoth and AlexB's MBQ against it for tracking and tone purposes on something. The Mammoth was clear and detailed, but didn't really bring out the musical energy and tone. Left something to be desired and ended up having to take longer to 'get there' but still not all the way 'there' where the production was needed. In its defense, the sources where mainly high quality VSTs (Diva & NI Komplete stuff) at 441.The A*I was great for the task but didn't have the detail I was looking for.

This library seems like a hybrid of both the Mammoth and MBQ libraries, offering the best possible strengths into one package.

I also would prefer this one to even the other N**e or Doc fear libraries due to its incredible flexibility of the eq bands, clean boosts, and musical line input.

For me I felt the MIC input pulled a little bit of the robustness out of the lower regions, so after even more extensive testing settled in on the Lineinput EQ. Again YMMV and is completely dependent on the source.

I did a very quick 'enhancement' of a funky synth bassline for a new track of mine "Francis Irving Was Here" to give you guys a little idea of how this library can really help bring out the detail without wrecking the original tone of the sound. I also used the AMPEX library, TapeBooster, and VTM2 as the last insert.

32bit 441 files are here https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc6j5mp4cxsb6pn/FrancisIrving-Basstest.zip

If you listen to the 'dry' version its a little flat and VST sounding (Even though it did come from the Trillian bass library). The processed version showcases how the reverb send is really brought out without overpowering it or killing the low end. Again I tried quite a few libraries and this one really really helps for tracking purposes. Naturally I'll add some more stuff (selective eq and compression for control) to it when it comes to mixing it with other elements of the song.

I did another quick swipe with this library with using Uhe's Diva synth and some simple chords for something else I'm working on. Again it really brings out the clarity of the original sound, with the dry version being a little 'muffled'.

[url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/vldisg7ls64zkjq/diva%20test.zip
[/url]

Both examples posted here are completely volume matched peaking at -12db.

After tracking a few songs through this library and bringing in the stems to mix, that's where the beauty and music comes out. Pretty easy to get the mix 80% 'there' with only adjusting volume faders.

This is GREAT on VST instruments.

God Bless you Michael for taking the time with this library. Nice combo of clarity, punch, and tone.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby dagovitsj » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:51 pm

I did a very quick 'enhancement' of a funky synth bassline for a new track of mine "Francis Irving Was Here" to give you guys a little idea of how this library can really help bring out the detail without wrecking the original tone of the sound. I also used the AMPEX library, TapeBooster, and VTM2 as the last insert.

Thanks for posting sound examples! Very nice sound. Just to make sure I understand what you have done:
The processed audio file has gone through this chain:
ARQ Lineinput EQ > AMPEX > TapeBooster > VTM2

So you have just used the ARQ "tone", no EQ at this point. Is that correct?
It's really a significant difference between the dry and processed version. I can hear a much better stereo image in the processed version. I don't know if that's caused by ARQ alone or the combination of AMPEX, TB and VTM2, however? Anyways - really great sound!

Do you mind sharing info about what "presets" you have used for AMPEX, TB and VTM2?

I also would prefer this one to even the other N**e or Doc fear libraries due to its incredible flexibility of the eq bands, clean boosts, and musical line input.

As far as I can see from the manual, there is no Q for this library, only gain + and -. Can you explain how you think it's a very flexible EQ? I'm curious, not negative!

Cheers
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby ludrog » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:59 am

These libraries are getting better and better! What amazed me about this one is that considering the price tag on this unit i find that i'm liking the sound much more then some other more expensive ones that are already nebulized.Great work, Michael you've done it once again!
ludrog
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Owen » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:56 pm

And from some playing around yesterday evening (I have bought this one), I can say that this is another nice library from Michael :)

Owen ;)
Owen
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jimmer73 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:11 pm

Hello Everyone,

My first post here!

Is this library or the VST version still available?

I have searched loads of forums, tried many links, but can't find any news about its unavailability anywhere.

Cheers!
jimmer73
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby dagovitsj » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi! It should be here http://cdsoundmaster.com/site/cds-software-online/plugins.html

but it isn't. Seems like Michael have done some updating of his web page lately, so that could be the explanation. They've got a chat service on the web page, use that or send Michael a mail - I'm sure he will help you out!
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries