Login

NVC - the Nebula Virtual Controller Website is On Line

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC - the Nebula Virtual Controller Website is On Line

Postby RJHollins » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:30 am

Hi GANG!

First, I'd like to give a big THANKS to Richie for his efforts to test and help sort through issues.

This is NOT a fun job when things are not working as expected, particularly when I waited for quite some time using the NVC in projects I have, before even considering involving anyone in testing.

My respect for true programmers in writing anything that works on multiple systems. :o

I don't quit easy ... though there I times I question why I'm doing this :shock: As soon as I load up one of the NVC's and start working a track, I'm re-focus to solve the issue, because I cannot work with NEBULA as single pieces or components. It's not only a work-flow issue ... it is an entire mindset of interaction.

Whatever ... I'm just back from a gig ... I'm consulting with some programming GURUs, and I'm re-thinking a specific part of code that is suspect.

As I've mentioned ... I'm focused on building the core engine of the NVC. The area causing grief [at the moment] is dealing with a very powerful concept that I'm looking to harness. The concept is working on my system [both in development and as a VST]. This makes it quite the challenge to debug when I have it working :shock: it's crazy ... but, it indicates that the piece that is broken is at a fundamental point [like an environmental variable] that may be different in the OS's.

We'll find the problem ... just hope my tester hangs with me :oops:

I'll will state, I'm not looking for a band-aid fix. I need to know the details of the issue so that I can effectively [and confidently] code this.

The additional positives ... I have added a new feature or 2, and have optimize other sections.

I've gotten some 'support' emails that are highlighting a possible suspect ...

back to the research and testing !

Sincere thanks for everyones interest ... I look forward to open discussions to future controllers and features. There are so many libraries and concepts that I want to use in this way.

Thanks again !!!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:55 am

RJHollins wrote:I don't quit easy ...

RJHollins wrote:We'll find the problem ... just hope my tester hangs with me :oops:

We'll see.......... :shock:

:roll: What else would I be doing....?
Of course I'll hang in there, as long as my computer doesn't burst into flames anymore from testing..... :mrgreen:
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:38 am

Wow ... Is it time for some GOOD NEWS or WHAT ! :o

We [including my beta-tester]are very pleased and relieved to finally clear through the beta process !
:shock:

What took soooo long, you may inquire. Was the beta so riddled with bugs ... well, in actuality, it seems we have hit a Reaper bug ... but didn't know it at the time.

This started a wave of experiments that went outside of the NVC development. In fact, the NVC was shelved during this early test phase, and involved professional programmers supplying test apps. The DAW involved is REAPER, and several programmers are in contact with them to figure this out :roll:

Briefly, the issue is inserting a VST plug on the MASTER TRACK first. For unknown reasons, a need of a plugin to load a configuration file or preset, or really, even a plain-Jane text file will NOT load. :o
Insert the plugin in a a regular track ... works great. OH ... once on the regular track ... NOW it can load properly to the Master Track :? Yeah ... something very weird that Reaper needs to examine.

Meantime ... some very good and important developments and features spring from all this. :D

As it turns out ... beta-testing is more than finding bugs. It can also lead to very nice features added, along with some new coding that makes the entire program better in major ways. [won't bore with the details].

I have been using this new NVC for nearly 2 months now on several test sessions, and has performed without issue [WinXP-32]. Testing has included Win 7 through Win 8.1 . Although Reaper has been the main DAW, I've run tests in several other DAWs. StudioONE, Sonar, Audition, WaveLAB. Not all of these are the latest version, but only WaveLAB6 seemed to have issue. It may be a MIDI thing going on there, as MIDI may not be something nice. Actually, prior to the NVC, I never had reason to use MIDI in WaveLAB since I bought it so many years ago. If this can be fixed, I'll give it a try, if not, then that is that [as they say]. I have moved to Reaper to now handle the bulk of mastering duty. I still like WaveLAB for the 'montage' feature to assemble CD's. But bringing NEBULA into the equation made WaveLAB's 8 FX slots to limiting for my needs.

Being able to use the NVC to control a series of Nebula's far outweighs any DAW limitations.

I'm preparing the updates to the documentation and putting replacements pix in because we have added so many nice new features to this controller from configuration to operation.

Even though the last brain cell has been turned to mush ... I want to get this prepared as best I can, and get this posted to the needed update on my Web Site.

Most importantly ... will soon follow the v 1.0 demo release for anyone interested [with some built-in demo limits that I hope are acceptable]. I sincerely hope that it will allow you to test fly NEBULA in a way that has not been possible before.

Total interactive from a single GUI control center.

Since it became clear that I had to pull all the other controllers off line ... I will post a dedicated thread here on AA for this NVC. I'll try to highlight the features and functions ... I'll even formally announce what library the NVC is designed for. :lol:

I once again express my thanks for the inquiries I've received, the patience, and special thanks to my B-Tester. If either of us drank ... we'd be probably at a Timmy Horton's drinking coffee or a Mocha :lol:

Thank-you. 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:44 pm

And unless I missed this in your explanation above RJ, people need to be aware upfront that at least in Reaper, it is not compatible in 64bit hosts due to the needed plugin chain to make this work. There is nothing RJ can do about this everyone, so don't ask him to work on 64bit support.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:59 am

I wonder what the 64-bit REAPER guys are using then to replace MIDIReaRoute ? This is the support VST that won't do 64-bit.

I've posted on the Reaper forum in regards to MIDIReaRoute ... as yet, no real response :roll:

Maybe one of Our forum experts can shed some light on this.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries