Login

NVC - the Nebula Virtual Controller Website is On Line

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC - the Nebula Virtual Controller Website is On Line

Postby SWANG » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:57 am

thanks for the update. this is gonna be awesome...
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:31 am

Alright GANG !

I've been putting together some documentation for the upcoming release. :!:

Don't know what is tougher ... writing the app, or putting together the manual :shock: Plus, I've been burning on a couple ends, and just feeling it :|

I'll post a formal announcement [separate thread] when I have something that I hope is clear and coherent [no promises on that last bit] :lol:

A couple of things going on. First, I'm happy that I have been able to implemented most every feature that I thought critical to operation. I say 'most', because I always think of new stuff, and I need to remind myself that there could be a v2 release. 2nd, I am looking ahead at the schedule, the spare time is going to be occupied with a series of sessions that are booking in. I'm always happy about that, but I would like to do a release before the swamping 8-)

I also think I'll have to change the beta-test concept. This is a difficult part of software development, and the testing process can be time consuming and frustrating. [and the pay has been paltry] :P

From previous beta test, I have taken all the comments, and experiences to heart. Spending the last several months re-thinking and then redesigning the NVC controllers. Particularly in the 'configuration' process. This has all led to a much better design ... for everyone! :D

I have more details in the 'announce' thread for sure, but my thoughts are leaning toward a public demo release that everyone interested will be able to download the demo and try it for themselves.

Still trying to think through how best to do this, along with a few other things of importance.

As always, open to comments, ideas, suggestions, and insights.

alright ... back to writing manual 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:01 am

... and He's still writing :shock:

Well, had a few playing Gigs to attend, along with 2 mastering sessions. ;)

There are [at least] 3 parts that I think important in the documentation.

First is the NVC plug-in itself. This has rather simple things like identifying the components of the GUI interface. Nothing tough there, as I'm using screen shots, with supporting text and a bunch of arrows to point the focus.

2nd is the mention of making a 'custom Nebula' [using Zabukowski's, 'Nebula SetUps' app. [with kind permission from 'ZAB' to provide links and reference in my documentation and web site].

The question in my mind relates to the number of Nebula Users that are aware of, AND have made these specialized Nebulas. It took me some time before I started doing this. The issue became more and more evident as my library collection continued to grow.
The loading time of my 'all inclusive' Nebula allows me to go off and brew a pot of coffee, and a small snack :shock:
:lol:
It was getting rediculous :roll:

But now I've assembled a essential group of Nebula's that each contain a single library. The load time is a nite & day difference. [Thank you ZAB !] :D [and I look forward to the new commercial release !]

The point of interest is the door that opened that allows the new patch configuration of the NVC to be a simple 'load an XML file' and your done! 8-) The NVC will automatically handle all the details, insuring a 1:1 match between the custom Nebula you create and the NVC. :mrgreen:

I mention this here to keep the Community informed. You will want [and need] Zab's SetUp app. This is a must have, essential support utility for Nebula.

In my documentation, I only make mention of this. The procedure is rather straight forward, so I'm not detailing that in the Docs. [unless everyone thinks I should :| ].

The 3rd section deals with MIDI.

Part of this looks inside Nebula and identifies the modification needed within its XML file to allow [CC] Continuous Controller values to respond to MIDI commands. There is suppose to be a way to do this within Nebula's MIDI page [from GUI], but I did not get it to work [at least not the way I was trying]. The direct edit of the XML file was simple [ok, a little scary at first :lolridiculous: ] but turned out to be very simple, and ... it worked.

Lastly, I'm looking at how this all goes in the DAW world.

For better or worse, I've been drawn into the 'Land of REAPER'. I understand that this is also the DAW choice used to test Nebula [oh, I'm sure the others are just as important ... and I've used some of them]. I just got to a point where upgrade costs were not being justified [for my work].

Therefore, I use Reaper as the model to explain the MIDI routing in the Docs. I'm also trying to provide enopugh general background information so that Users can relate the concept to their DAW of choice.

I will state that 'I'm no Reaper GURU' by any stretch. I've put together the NVC EFXChain that has worked throughout the design process. I have also saved off EFXChain Presets that I use for each of the NVC's that I have. So if I need the GML, or the 'Mastering Suite', or the Klaritizer [for example], it's a 'load a preset' away.

I've also written and received permission from the author of 2 Reaper, MIDI support plugs. [one a VST, and the other a JS plug]. I will be able to include these in the package.

Now, there may very well be a better way to do this in Reaper, than what I've done. There is nothing difficult about it, in fact, it really is quite simple [and maybe that can confuse, particularly if the MIDI is a new experience.

Reaper has its own quirks, but I'll try to make the documentation broad enough for other DAW's.

My real hope is that some of the DAW 'experts' will shed light on this to everyone's benefit.

Addition 'lastly' ... I'm demo'ing 'Camtasia Studio' as a screen capture tool that will help me put together a visual tutorial. [a new program to learn ... great :roll: ].

Being able to see how the MIDI gets routed seems so much easier to understand. I do blame my challenged writing skills [or lack thereof] for much of this :|

So ... the 'behind the scenes' work continues. Just as in the core design philosophy of the NVC series, I look at the documentation to be universal to all the controllers. The pictures will change, some controllers have very specific features that are unique to a library, but the fundamental concept will be common to all of them. From configuration to routing. If something developes that makes things even easier, it will be integrated into the design.

OK ... break time over :lol:

Thenoughanks for following. All comments, questions, requests welcomed !!
8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:00 am

alrighty then ...

I have a manual put together :o oh yes, it could definitely stand a re-write [or somebody else doing it better] ... but I have at least tried to cover most things.

The 3 main topics, the NVC itself, the Set-up section, and the DAW.

During this write, I also continue to test the NVC. Found a couple of tweaks and adjustments for some minor things along the way.

The next thing I would like to do are some 'Screen Shot' videos. It seems the text description [with static images] of certain things would be much easier to follow [understand] with a video.

So I'm going to give it a go with Camtasia. I tried a little with LiceCAP ... but I need editing, and callouts in a contained app. I did some test runs with Camtasia [been following their tutorials], and things make more sense. But I still need to get a better handle on things like screen zoom and auto pan.

My hope is that a combination of text documentation along with video segments will be more useful.

wish me luck :lol:

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:14 am

well ... it is nice to get swamped with work [particularly music work] :lol:

Was not fun getting hit with some kinda flu bug that kick my butt for a few daze :roll: getting over that.

I last was working a tutorial demo for NVC using Camtasia. Slowly I'm starting to get a better handle on working with it.

I want it to look good, but I also don't want to get boughed down in a polished video [just don't have the time, nor quite the skills with Camtasia]. So my first goal is to have something decent to supplement the manual, and give a nice overview to the workings and configuration.

Hope to find some time to complete the first draft at least ... not sure when that'll be :|

OK ... back to it over here!
8-)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Sincere question with all respect intended: I subscribed to this thread with the intention of receiving early warning of one single piece of news: a release date (or even some estimate of such). Anything along those lines? Are we talking weeks, months or years?
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:37 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Sincere question with all respect intended: I subscribed to this thread with the intention of receiving early warning of one single piece of news: a release date (or even some estimate of such). Anything along those lines? Are we talking weeks, months or years?

update news ...

I have sent documentation, video tutorial [Reaper], and NVC for testing on a different system. This was something I felt should be done, as it is difficult for me to change my main computer to an neutral state. At the same time, I should also get a sense if the docs and video are clear and understandable. I can make changes if needed.
Call me cautious ... but I really want to kept issues to a minimum. Everything works as planned and designed on my system ... but we are dealing with computers, AND, designing a very special tool for NEBULA ... all the backlogged NVC controllers will be based on this core design. Integration within the DAW will use the same procedure. My video tutorial shows the way I did it. There may be even a better way, and I hope the DAW 'GURUs' would show us. 8-)

How ever long the testing takes ... it will have to take. To be used in a Professional environment, this must be solid. 8-) I just need this verified on a completely different system.

When I get the 'Green Lite' ... I will make a formal announcement on the forum :mrgreen:

Looking forward. May the 'Force' be with Us 8-)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:01 am

RJHollins wrote:update news ...

I have sent documentation, video tutorial [Reaper], and NVC for testing on a different system. This was something I felt should be done, as it is difficult for me to change my main computer to an neutral state. At the same time, I should also get a sense if the docs and video are clear and understandable. I can make changes if needed.
Call me cautious ... but I really want to kept issues to a minimum. Everything works as planned and designed on my system ... but we are dealing with computers, AND, designing a very special tool for NEBULA ... all the backlogged NVC controllers will be based on this core design. Integration within the DAW will use the same procedure. My video tutorial shows the way I did it. There may be even a better way, and I hope the DAW 'GURUs' would show us. 8-)

How ever long the testing takes ... it will have to take. To be used in a Professional environment, this must be solid. 8-) I just need this verified on a completely different system.

When I get the 'Green Lite' ... I will make a formal announcement on the forum :mrgreen:

Looking forward. May the 'Force' be with Us 8-)

Understood. I completely agree with everything you said above and am glad to hear of the progress. I think I said on another thread you were involved in but I'm super interested in this controller as I've found the library to be difficult to use with either the REAPER project setup or even the one I made in Metaplugin. Anyway, good luck, eagerly awaiting the green light!
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby garyk_123 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:04 am

Hey RJ, now that we are near that green light and massive and air are hopefully around the corner, can you share your roadmap for nvc? Obviously plenty of eq's could do with an nvc, but I'd thought I'd toss my request in the ring if you don't mind. I'd love to see you sort out Michael's 3 stage tape. They are my favorite tape emu but such a pita. Would that be an easy one? Is it on the books?
garyk_123
User Level V
User Level V

Postby richie43 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:51 am

garyk_123 wrote:Hey RJ, now that we are near that green light and massive and air are hopefully around the corner, can you share your roadmap for nvc? Obviously plenty of eq's could do with an nvc, but I'd thought I'd toss my request in the ring if you don't mind. I'd love to see you sort out Michael's 3 stage tape. They are my favorite tape emu but such a pita. Would that be an easy one? Is it on the books?

I am not RJ, so I won't speak for him. But I do test for RJ, so I can share my viewpoint with you.....
"Would that be an easy one?"............. :shock:
Nothing about this NVC is easy on a coding standpoint, so I can imagine that the answer is no. Is it possible? Probably, but for the sake of pure honesty so everyone has a truthful and realistic level of expectation:
Be patient and be (act, at least) super appreciative with RJ when an NVC for ANY library is released. This thing has the potential of really changing the work-flow of Nebula, but it is slow development and as of right now, difficult to pin-point the glitches. RJ has more than one model working well on his system, for his own work. But as we all know (or should know by now), for a dev to get their own creation working on their own system is the easiest part. The tricky part is for them to feel at least fairly confident that it will work pretty much the same way on any system. That's what I am testing for these days, and it is not totally smooth sailing yet.
Be patient and sooner or later this crazy Frankenstein tool will appear.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries