Login

NVC - the Nebula Virtual Controller Website is On Line

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC - the Nebula Virtual Controller Website is On Line

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:12 pm

This looks great! Not had the chance to try this out yet. Looking forward to doing so...
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:55 am

Update news ...

First, how can 'this guy' have so many updates news, yet no release ... :shock:

I know ... it borders pathetic :lol: But there are features that I need in these controllers ... and hope You would too 8-)

Such as ... 'Preset Banks'. :shock: OK, not sure if anyone would want, or need this ... but the function is available in most every plugin. As you're working with some EQ, you get several of the bands set and want to save this as a Preset ... either for a reference point to return to, or recall for another session.

The latest NVC now has this. :mrgreen: I have it working in a type of 'Automatic' mode. The intent is to have a 'behind the scenes' monitor that snapshots the setting of every NVC control. When you decide, you can SAVE the individual Preset or the entire Bank.
At the minimum, this may provide a direct A/B comparison of different settings with the ability to switch. We should be mindful, however, what this capability involves. Unlike 'Algo' plugs that are running mathematical 'formulas', we are dealing with 'sample' libraries. Making 'on the fly' patch changes [loading in a new preset] can sometimes be 'adventuresome' :P The NVC has the ability to call every Nebula 'instance' to load a new preset. Everyone knows that this procedure normally mutes audio, and can shake up a playback. Nonetheless, I feel that a virtual controller should provide this 'Preset' ability. If there are no changes made in the actual Nebula preset loaded, and only parameters are being changed, then there should be no issue at all. 8-)

Speaking of 'Loading Presets' .... those of the Nebula Library type ... the latest NVC design includes a major change in the configuration process. As I've mentioned several posts back, the task of teaching the NVC the contents of a specific 'custom' Nebula setup was ... a major process. Having to print out a list of all the 'preset' names and PRGram numbers, and then type that into the NVC configuration module was tedious and prone to errors.
This manually intensive process is no more ! :o

The upcoming NVC [which will be of the PultecEQ persuasion, will AUTOMATICALLY configure itself. :D

To give a sense ... we are talking 204 preset parameters for this EQ ! :shock: We will now have complete access to every preset [of that specific library] available within each sub-module ... neatly grouped, organized and available from a simple pull-down menu. This will make more sense when I post details [pixs] of this new Multi-Windowed GUI system.

The last detail I'm fine-tuning specifically focuses on the 'special' function of the Pultec ... and I may well need some User feedback on this aspect.

For a heads up on this ... here's the thinking.

The Pultec library has the 'Combination' BOOST/CUT presets that cover 20, 30, 60, 100Hz. There is a [somewhat] common technique of both boost and cut the same dB at the selected frequency. With the Nebula preset, we have both faders/knobs to adjust individually. With the NVC, I have put in a routine that can 'LINK' these 2 knobs together, so that as one adds boost, the cut knob will cut the same level [mirror image or reversed ... if that makes sense]. Basically, this would allow a single knob to perform 2 functions simultaneously.

At the moment, I have this happening with what I call 'unity' tracking. A +2 boost will turn the cut knob down -2dB. The 'tricky' part has been figuring out how to have 2 unrelated values that can be LINKED and tracked with these 'difference'. The concept is similar to VCA tracking of a Mixers fader [Grouping] that maintains the logarithmic relation. Well ... its an idea I'd like to have in there ... figuring it out is another thing. Of course, this is an 'optional' setting, so each knob can be set independently.

I just wonder ... would anyone be interested in having 'Linked Knobs' ??? :shock: I'm not sure that came out right ... :? :lol:

Well ... regardless of the terminology, I'd be very interested in feedback on the idea.

Meantime ... getting the final bits together ...

Thanks everyone !!!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby himhui » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:59 am

It looks insteresting!
I downloaded a demo yesterday and found that the patch# couldn't be input larger than 100, did I miss something? :cry:
97v4 /Win7 x64 /64G ram /Nvidia Quadro K620
Reaper 5.28 /X-Touch
Prism Orpheus /RME Babyface Pro
himhui
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:44 am

himhui wrote:It looks insteresting!
I downloaded a demo yesterday and found that the patch# couldn't be input larger than 100, did I miss something? :cry:

hmmm ... which NVC himhui ???

The patch# input boxes have an error checking/limit routine that [was suppose] to limit numeric entries from 0 - 127 [legal MIDI values].

There was a question of this brought up by one of the beta-testers ... but neither I [nor others] were able to duplicate the problem mentioned. Plus, I never heard back from who reported this.

The GOOD NEWS ...

All previous NVC demos are being removed :o But for good reason!

Manually entering all patch parameter data is now a thing of the past. :shock: I have completely redesigned that portion of the plugin. All patch configurations are now 'extracted' from the 'custom' setup XML file, and are compiled/organized automatically. With this new system, the 'process' of patch configuration consist of pointing [selecting] that file to load. That's it. The plugin does the rest. The NVC will automatically MATCH the custom library.

The entire NVC series will be using this concept [along with many more enhancements].

Tonite I posted a 'Sneak Preview' of a new NVC controller that has the latest design implemented on my website. http://www.upallnite.us Just a few basic screen shots for viewing. I'm working up the text and will have a full page outlining this. I'll also post a new thread here to announce it.

As mentioned ... this has been something that has caused me to hesitate a release. Configuration. To demonstrate ... the 'new' NVC controller handles a library with 204 parameters. :shock: Even I didn't like the idea of manually typing this all in :P [And this is not even one of the really big ones] :lol: So I'm very pleased to have this new 'Auto' system working. 8-) In the process, though, I've added many new features and fine tuned others.

All the previous NVC's [including several unseen or mentioned] will be reworked into this new modular framework.

... more to come :)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:21 am

ok ... well, we have a new feature working pretty well :D and I have one feature that giving problems :evil:

The 'problem child' ... I've incorporated a 'Preset Manager' into NVC that stores 'snap shots' of all settings. I wanted to have the ability to call up earlier settings .... or at least allow A:B:C:D comparisons. Thought this might be real handy and useful.

All the settings are being saved and recalled with full updates to all knobs, buttons, displays ... you name it ... that's working good. The problem ... sending 'PRG CHANGE' commands to multiple Nebulas. :o

We may all know that when Nebula loads a preset, this can put a hit on the CPU ... if music is streaming there can be some heavy gaps in playback ... it's not always a easy transition [especially if SR conversion is happening]. Trying to do this with a [modest] 5 Nebulas simultaneously has ... well, ... not been pretty. :shock: I'm not ready to 'throw in the towel' on this preset idea ... but the resource demand that this puts on a system may be something that I cannot work around. :roll:

Possibly adding to the load ... is the included 'user friendly' feature that, when switching Nebula presets [like from a 1 kernal to a 5 kernal, for example] all your EQ settings [gain, freq, Q] will automatically be applied to the newly selected patch ... this is a very nice feature that simplifies the 'auditioning' process, and greatly benefits our work flow. To help better appreciate ... the newest NVC is for a very nice EQ ... for each band available, there are 12 presets that can be picked from. [Items like the SE, ND, MONO, Stereo, and 2 sample rates, 44.1, and 96k]. So we can easily configure which band gets the MOJO, while the others can be neutral ... or not. But throughout the choice, all your eq settings stay active into the chosen preset. This is working quite nicely.

It's when we get to making 'Global' changes, where ever parameter can be saved and recalled ... the load is very heavy.

We may have to make a 'practicality' decision regarding this. :ugeek:

Since changing the actual Nebula preset, let alone multiple, is causing the issue, I may have to restrict this function to only storing the settings, and NOT changing out the preset itself. :roll:

I'm not sure if this is too much of a sacrifice that would make this feature to lame :twisted:

What do you think :?:

A possible idea :idea: ... and I don't know if this can be done, would be some type of staggering/delaying the PRGCHanges enough to allow the system to keep up :!: :?:

This idea is also fraught with potential problems ... some users might be using TIMED libraries, or CPU's that are already struggling with Nebula demands ... that IS the nature of the beast least we forget :roll:

I wouldn't mind hearing some feedback from the Community on this [or any other issues, ideas, suggestions]. Meanwhile, I going to test some ideas to see if I can figure a way to work as I envisioned ... but I thinking I need a alternate plan so that I can do a release before the end of the century :lol:

Let's hear from ya !!! :lol:

Thanks. 8-)

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby zabukowski » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:34 am

I haven't read whole thread, so I apologize if this has been discussed before or it isn't really important for NVC.

If I understand correctly, you use Nebula program numbers in NVC. You should be aware the programs often get different numbers assigned, when new programs are installed in repository. You can imagine what this means. Because of this, NebulaMan first resolves program number using program name, then program is loaded using this number.

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:17 pm

zabukowski wrote:If I understand correctly, you use Nebula program numbers in NVC. You should be aware the programs often get different numbers assigned, when new programs are installed in repository. You can imagine what this means. Because of this, NebulaMan first resolves program number using program name, then program is loaded using this number.

Zabukowski

Hi ZAB !!

Very much appreciate your visiting this thread ! :D

The XML file that I am parsing is the one generated by your NebulaSETUPs program, after creating a custom Nebula version. Since it only contained the library of interest, and each of my 'custom' ones were consistent in the layout and patch assignment.

I'd be very interested if you see a problem using this concept ?!?! [we can PM if needed].

I also wanted to add 'promotion' of your 'NebulaSetups' app in my documentation and website, as this is an essential utility app for Nebula, as each NVC is designed for a specific library.

Any of your insights would be most appreciated ZAB, as I'm considered a rookie in the programming [it's not my real job] :lol:

Thanks!

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby zabukowski » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:27 pm

RJHollins wrote:The XML file that I am parsing is the one generated by your NebulaSETUPs program, after creating a custom Nebula version. Since it only contained the library of interest, and each of my 'custom' ones were consistent in the layout and patch assignment.

Ah, ok, if you are used custom setups, you are on the safe side - sorry for the false alarm :oops:

RJHollins wrote:I also wanted to add 'promotion' of your 'NebulaSetups' app in my documentation and website, as this is an essential utility app for Nebula, as each NVC is designed for a specific library.

That would be very nice - thanks, really appreciated :lol:

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:13 pm

zabukowski wrote:Ah, ok, if you are used custom setups, you are on the safe side - sorry for the false alarm :oops:

RJHollins wrote:I also wanted to add 'promotion' of your 'NebulaSetups' app in my documentation and website, as this is an essential utility app for Nebula, as each NVC is designed for a specific library.

That would be very nice - thanks, really appreciated :lol:

Zabukowski

No problem at all ZAB ! I'm actually relieved to hear confirmation :lol:

And ... it will be my pleasure to promote the [essential] 'NebulaSetups' app that you have developed.

I starting on the website update for the new NVC.

I'm also trying to find a particular 'Video Screen' capture utility that I've seen used to make tutorials and such. It has 'zoom' and highlighting [and hopefully built in editing]. I've been using the free 'LiceCAP' app. Would like these extra features ;)

Thanks again ZAB !

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:17 am

update ... with a bit of positive news !

I think I have solved the issue with the newly added 'Preset' management system. :o

When I sent the NVC MIDI output into an data analyzer, I was seeing 2 patch changes in the output, rather than just the one we wanted. It seems another section of code was trying to get in on the act, thereby causing confusion in the MIDI data.

Early testing [after the troubleshoot] is looking very good, as we have each of the 5 NEBULAS responding to the recall from the Preset manager. :)

I still want to test this more to be sure that nothing got broken from the code change.

If everything behaves themselves, it looks like we'll have 14 slots available for User presets. This means that each of the 5 modules that comprise this new NVC EQ controller will have their Gain, Freq, Q, Bypass, Knob Sync/Link and GDrive settings stored and available for recall. My original intent was for an A:B system ... but since the space was available ... we can have 14 presets. These are saved off as 'TXT' files, so in actuality, you can have as many 'banks' as you want [with 14/bank]. Again ... just a side benefit I suppose :lol:

I have one section in the operation of preset recalls that I'm looking at. It involves updating a Nebula preset when in a state of user 'Bypass'. It may be just the 'firing order' that I need to modify ... will hope to know more on this.

I want these NVC's to be 'intelligent' in their operation. So [for example] if you get all your eq settings how you want, and then decide to go from a clean 'kernal' to a multi-kernel, all your settings are maintain [and active]when the Nebula patch change is made, allowing a more useful comparison, and efficient work flow when deciding 'color/harmonic' density. IMHO :P

OK ... back to the lab 8-)

Thank-you!

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries