Login

NVC - the Nebula Virtual Controller Website is On Line

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC - the Nebula Virtual Controller Website is On Line

Postby RJHollins » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:24 pm

Link fixed.

Thank you.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby enigma2win » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:29 pm

Mac support?
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III

Postby richie43 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Correct me if I am wrong RJ, but regarding Mac support;
I don't think RJ has a Mac, therefore can not develop a Mac version.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:08 pm

enigma2win wrote:Mac support?

Hello enigma2win,

It is unfortunate that currently I cannot provide Mac development.

I have search around the web reading about several 'wrappers' that supposedly allow a Windows VST to be used on the Mac platform. I have no real details nor experience with these.

Maybe other Mac users could supply some details and additional info.

RJH
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby cehas » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:19 am

Simple question:

If I'm using 13 instances of Mammoth, wouldn't I'll be getting the harmonics from 13 (!) units? Same question goes for other gear. So should I use the clean kernels and only one with harmonics?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, since I've been using Nebula for ages..
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby richie43 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:48 am

For one, you probably are not going to actually need all 13 instances at once, so you can disable the unneeded instances. Second, while many people do what you are referring to (use one full preset for the harmonics and then the rest clean to eliminate the build-up), but I actually prefer the full presets no matter what. But as long as this controller requires users to set up the configuration yourselves anyway, you could set it up to use the clean presets. Try it and post back how it goes!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:09 am

cehas wrote:Simple question:

If I'm using 13 instances of Mammoth, wouldn't I'll be getting the harmonics from 13 (!) units? Same question goes for other gear. So should I use the clean kernels and only one with harmonics?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, since I've been using Nebula for ages..

This is not a stupid question by any means!

One of my experiences during developing the controller
was when the master bypass was designed. I was then
able to effortlessly compare. Fundamentally, this
simple concept yields a (more) real world use
with nebula ... With any of the libraries!
The ease with which you can work the eq's
has changed my thinking and work-flow now.
The control of an algo-type ... But the sonics of
the nebula library.

Taking this beyond my own personal use, I tried
to provide users the ability to personalize their
Eq to their preference (limited by library design).

The debate was should the NVC be limited
to the actual function of the hardware, or should
it expand to the full potential that the library
offers? The first release exceeds the hardware
... I do have other designs ... We'll see how this
all goes;)

So yes... configure your library as you want for your sonic needs.

When you build your custom Nebula, put the entire Mammoth library in. When you set up the NVC, just place the proper patch numbers in the appropriate module.

As mentioned... You can use all the modules
you need or not. The beauty of having all modules available allows for phenomenal shaping. You can pull a wide midrange selection back into the mix, and then grab the vocal range and bring that forward.

My work focuses on mastering ... the power and flexibility of having the entire EQ available allows you to shape an envelope coherently without distraction. You can now work this EQ interactively.
The NVC has changed my entire approach to EQ'ing with Nebula. Yes, I've preferred the 'sound' over algo plugs from day one ... even after 30 years, I could not adapt to working a single instances at a time. I need to quickly shape a track to what I need to hear as quickly as possible ... AND, I want to be able to experiment with EQ combinations when desired. I could not do this in a 'fragmented' work-flow. It was frustrating ... and exhausting. [let along trying to keep focus on the music, and what I needed or tried to do]. The music I work on is too important to both me and my clients ... I had even gone to use a clean algo EQ feeding a Nebula Preamp in order to get work done to some level of satisfaction. It could never touch the euphonics of a pure Nebula library.

The Mammoth is a multi-$k.000 hardware equalizer. Now this Nebula library feels like it ...

I sure you can sense my excitement about the NVC. I apologize if it comes across like a ad. :lol: I have several other controllers that I've been designing and using. I had really hoped that someone else would have put these virtual controllers out there so that I could focus on my primary passion. In lieu of that, I could wait no longer and so began the quest for a solution. This is version 1.1 for the NVC-MP. I sincerely hope that everyone would take the time to get this set up and working on their system. Just as we must acknowledge that we 'Nebulites' are of a unique breed, and will go to great lengths and suffering for the sonics ... [yes, it did pull me back from semi retired AND build a brand new fully consulted personal mastering suite] ... only now to find the time to design and develop a virtual controller that makes working with Nebula and these incredible tools practical ... let alone FUN :o :lol:

Hope that helps!
And thanks Rickie for covering with good advice.
Rj

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:59 am

Just some new general info to share ...

This will impact all the NVC series :shock:

In the effort to streamline/simplify the configuration of the NVC controllers, the patch numbers had to be manually entered within the NVC so as to properly refer to a particular library order.

Although this was a one-time process ... it was still tedious. When you consider that, for example, a particular band of an EQ may have a multitude of patch variations. Take the 'ALEXB_POOLTEQ'. The patches for the MidFreq are:
44_MF
44_MF_ND
44_MF_SE
44_ST_MF
44_ST_MF_ND
44_ST_MF_SE
PRO_MF
PRO_MF_ND
PRO_MF_SE
PRO_ST_MF
PRO_ST_MF_ND
PRO_ST_MF_SE

Each of these patch names have an associated MIDI patch number that needed to be hand-entered [typed] into the NVC patch configuration page. :o This is what I refer to as tedious ... and possible error prone.

This will now change :shock:

I've been developing a special 'parser' routine that will automatically 'parse' the custom setup XML file, extracting the library preset names and patches. It then organizes them into specific groups, and sorts them for an easier to read display.

The data is then sent to each modules 'Pull Down' menu, allowing the user to choose from this specific list the desired patched specific for that band [for example].

This is all being done in the background. ;)

The only decision is the combination choice of which patch variations the User wants. Those of you who carefully choose a 5 kernel for 1 band and 'clean' for others ... or whatever combination will understand the importance of easily selecting the preferred combination .... ALL from the NVC controller.

It has taken some time to put this concept into working code ... and I'm happy to report that the testing is working quite nicely :mrgreen:

Since every virtual controller in my planned NVC series will incorporate this 'Auto-config' design, I thought it best to hold off on officially releasing any of them.

These NVC tools will be as professional to use as I can possibly make them.... well, because I will be using them all the time, too ! :lol:

more to come 8-)

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby zabukowski » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:16 pm

I've just published a short post about NVC on my webpage.

http://zabukowski.com/software/

Zabukowski
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks for the link-up ZAB !! 8-)

Continued news and update ...

With a brand new NVC underway [TBA later], a concurrent mission was to implement an 'automatic' library patch configuration. :o

The concept was to extract from a 'custom setup' all of the available patch names and PRG numbers from a specific Nebula library. This is to include all possible 'flavors' such as; various kernels, SE,ND, Clean, ST, 44k, 96k, ... and whatever combinations that a library dev designs.

Once 'extracted', I developed routines to 'bend, fold, mutilate :lol: ... well actually, we parsed these off to organized, sorted, groupings. So NOW, for a certain EQ [for example], each module in the NVC will be able to select ALL the flavors for that particular band ... all neatly organized within a pull down selector menu.

Tonite I have just completed integrating this package into the latest NVC. It works beautifully ! :D

Now we can clearly configure an entire chain exactly as we wish, with every specific combination available.

NO MORE typing in a list of names and numbers ... no need for my old 'error catching' routines to help prevent accidental entries. This entire process will automatically synchronize a custom Nebula library directly into the NVC. :shock:

The 'coding' was structured in a 'modular' design to allow me to integrate this process into all NVC's. 8-) I have alpha tested this on several libraries during the coding experiment to be sure all results are correct. :D

Additionally ... another major piece that I wanted these controllers to do ...

When we would switch a Nebula preset from, say, 5 kernels to a Clean or SE version, we always had to manually adjust the faders/knobs to the same settings ... set the FREQ, GAIN, Q, DDrive ... whatever, making A/B comparisons time consuming and clumsy ... just messed with the flow. :roll:

From now on, you will be able to switch preset 'flavors', and have all specific settings [freq, gain, Q, etc] automatically happen. :o
This 'feature' may not be needed in every controller, but when you want to tweak the color of a complete equalizer, you can focus purely on that. No longer needing to hand match settings, you can quickly A/B a 5 kernel preset to a SE, or ND, or a Stereo preset WITH your specific settings. This is all done from the NVC automatically ... you'll not ever need to look or adjust a Nebula instance. The NVC provides the central command.

There's more ... but for now ... let me explain.

With each 'Virtual Controller' that I've built, I've looked to expand my new programming experience. Each library has presented unique challenges and has provided an inspired goal of a vision to a workflow using Nebula. Along the way, critical concepts have been taking shape as I learn to code and design graphics and layout [this is NOT my day job] :lol:

Throughout this, I have [intentionally] held off releasing any of these controllers commercially. [at least in their current development level]. The above 2 examples of function are some of the essential capabilities that I needed in my real job.

Using all of these NVC's [as I do], allows me to put them to the test in a most demanding way. I can then critically evaluate what works, and, what could make it better [i hope :lol: ].

What started about 6 months ago was me learning to program. I try to work and learn more each day I can, but it still is in the 'spare' time. I know I have a lot more programming experience to gain ... there are some really heavy concepts [for me] that I'm pondering. [most are audio engineering stuff ... even outside of Nebula proper ... though not excluded].

In answer to the many emails, messages, [along with the forum postings], I first want to thank everyone for their interest AND their patients !! True to the NEBULA way, I don't have a set release date this moment :evil: But it will HAVE to happen .... because .... I have SOooo many libraries that I want an NVC for ... for my work that I have to do! :lol:
But what I will do is pull in all the latest features into each of the NVC's to date. I think I'll have, what's considered, a ready for Version 1.0 release.

I also have to do some updating, redesigning of my web site too. But the main focus is designing these NVC's to perform as expected.

Again ... thanks everyone. All your ideas, suggestions, questions are always appreciated and welcomed.

Sincerely,
RJHollins

RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries