Login

NVC - the Nebula Virtual Controller Website is On Line

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC - the Nebula Virtual Controller Website is On Line

Postby richie43 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks RJ. Even though you have explained this same thing to me, and even though I have been testing this amazing mad-scientist creation, your last post helped me understand even more. I feel bad for anyone who may not get to enjoy this though...... If their DAW's won't allow it. Let's hope that various DAW users can jump in and start bending their brains over this. ("bend, fold"..... Ben folds.......good one....)
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Thu May 16, 2013 6:15 pm

maybe if some daw cant easilyset up this they could use metaplugin?

http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=3

Might be more streamlined in terms of inserts...possibly it could open the NVC and Nebulae all in one insert?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Thu May 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Well this is an exciting project for sure.

I wonder (out loud) if 13 needed inserts isn't maybe pushing it a bit. Personally I'm stuck on PT9 at work and AFAIK I can't load up 13 instances of anything on a single track (even if I had the insert slots the thought of loading 13 instances at once through VST2RTAS is laughable). Switching DAWs is nice and all, I love REAPER and use it exclusively in my home setup...but in our business where the ability to handle video and remain in sync with the LTC is our bread and butter REAPER is absolutely 100% a no go (not to mention the cost of upgrading 15 setups at once is going to be prohibitive for most companies). So while "just use REAPER" might work great for single-person setups and very small operations it's not a realistic suggestion for a working business.

I still think it's a cool project and I'm glad you've done this work; but it may be worth thinking about a possible solution for the DAW that is still the most ubiquitous in the industry (or maybe it's not an issue if PT10 doesn't have limited inserts and/or handles VST2RTAS in a sturdier manner).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Thu May 16, 2013 8:09 pm

SWAN wrote:maybe if some daw cant easilyset up this they could use metaplugin?

http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=3

Might be more streamlined in terms of inserts...possibly it could open the NVC and Nebulae all in one insert?

Hi SWAN,

Yes, the METAPlugin is an option.

Very early, when I was starting on the NVC concept, I had little [NO] knowledge of REAPERs MIDI or its' routing, so I began with chainers like Biddle and METAPlugin.

At that time, Metaplugin didn't have the ADC function. Since then, they updated META to handle AUTO Delay Compensation.

By then, I already had a REAPER solution in place.

My personal goal was to have a 'single track' fx chain, whereby I could have a simplified layout for a simple mind :shock: MINE :lol:

Once this was accomplished, I didn't go back to any of the chainer plugs.

As Richie stated earlier, and I'll paraphrase ...

The NVC is pure MIDI. If you relate its function to a MIDI track ... all MIDI data, like a sequenced song, is nothing but MIDI data numbers. Just as you assign this MIDI data to a sampler or VSTi instrument, the NVC is [in essence] the MIDI sequence data. It is assigned to an EFX plug, NEBULA.

If you can send MIDI data across several tracks to other instruments or efx ... there is no difference.

This is the foundation that MIDI was designed for, and why there was no other choice for this to work.

The earlier experiments using Reaper's Parameter Modulation or any of the other linking functions were interesting concepts that opened a doorway to a possibility. But as others discovered, it became a mind-game to align parameters or adjust ratios to synchronize values. Then, there were things that just would not be possible.

The 'Standard of the Industry' is MIDI, so I had to go that design route.

In one of the next NVC releases [Klarity], the MIDI protocol brings this library to a whole new level of work flow, using 2 NEBULAs [if you need both 'engines'.

Hope some of this helps in understanding ...

Time for 2nd cup of coffee 8-)
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Thu May 16, 2013 9:01 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Well this is an exciting project for sure.

I wonder (out loud) if 13 needed inserts isn't maybe pushing it a bit.

Hi ngarjuna,

Missed you in the cross posting :)

I mention this earlier ... and yes, it can be considered a push [part of the 'experiment' was to see if there was a wall to hit]. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised. The only 'natural' limit would be the MIDI Spec of 16 channels.

To your specific question ... The number of Nebulas inserted onto an FX chain is totally up to the User. Based on the library design, we have a 'Nebula per band'.

If you only need 1 or 2 EQ bands, then only 1 or 2 Nebulas' need to be placed into your chain. The Hi/Low filter is a single preset, so if you only wanted that, you'd load only 1 Nebula.

The NVC only sends MIDI data. If there is no one there to receive, then this data is basically ignored [for lack of a better word]. :)

rjh
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Thu May 16, 2013 10:39 pm

RJHollins wrote:Hi ngarjuna,

Missed you in the cross posting :)

I mention this earlier ... and yes, it can be considered a push [part of the 'experiment' was to see if there was a wall to hit]. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised. The only 'natural' limit would be the MIDI Spec of 16 channels.

To your specific question ... The number of Nebulas inserted onto an FX chain is totally up to the User. Based on the library design, we have a 'Nebula per band'.

If you only need 1 or 2 EQ bands, then only 1 or 2 Nebulas' need to be placed into your chain. The Hi/Low filter is a single preset, so if you only wanted that, you'd load only 1 Nebula.

The NVC only sends MIDI data. If there is no one there to receive, then this data is basically ignored [for lack of a better word]. :)

rjh

Ah okay I missed that in the conversation. This should be useful to a lot of folks (this has long been one of the chief complaints about Nebula EQs).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:42 pm

ngarjuna wrote:Well this is an exciting project for sure.

I wonder (out loud) if 13 needed inserts isn't maybe pushing it a bit. Personally I'm stuck on PT9 at work and AFAIK I can't load up 13 instances of anything on a single track (even if I had the insert slots the thought of loading 13 instances at once through VST2RTAS is laughable). Switching DAWs is nice and all, I love REAPER and use it exclusively in my home setup...but in our business where the ability to handle video and remain in sync with the LTC is our bread and butter REAPER is absolutely 100% a no go (not to mention the cost of upgrading 15 setups at once is going to be prohibitive for most companies). So while "just use REAPER" might work great for single-person setups and very small operations it's not a realistic suggestion for a working business.

I still think it's a cool project and I'm glad you've done this work; but it may be worth thinking about a possible solution for the DAW that is still the most ubiquitous in the industry (or maybe it's not an issue if PT10 doesn't have limited inserts and/or handles VST2RTAS in a sturdier manner).

Ha ha.....
Anyway, I think the beauty of this is that RJ is finding out (and sharing) that even this is possible. From there other DAW's need to send in their user reps that also happen to understand programming and coding and help implement this for the other DAW's. I just happened to get lucky enough to use the DAW that RJ developed on, so selfish me has no concerns for the other DAW's.... lol. But seriously, if this can be done at all (which it can), then I bet that it can be done in almost any platform as long as the platform doesn't restrict the user form the start.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby emilieitor » Thu May 16, 2013 11:04 pm

Incredible! great job! ;)
emilieitor
User Level X
User Level X

Postby dagovitsj » Thu May 16, 2013 11:53 pm

Thanks richie43 and RJHollins for clearing things up. Understand a little better how this is going to work, I think. I have thought about learning Reaper for some time now, so this is perhaps a good motivation ;)
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby RJHollins » Fri May 17, 2013 9:38 pm

dagovitsj wrote:Thanks richie43 and RJHollins for clearing things up. Understand a little better how this is going to work, I think. I have thought about learning Reaper for some time now, so this is perhaps a good motivation ;)

Your welcome dagovitsj,

We'll try to answer any questions we can ! :)

Just for public info, though ... there were NO special programming consideration put in to make this work with Reaper. But Reaper was the DAW I used to test on. Even there, I had to learn some new things because I hadn't used the MIDI function of Reaper to any depth. I still don't :lol:

The main 'feature' that I used in Reaper is the MIDI BUS routing.

RJHollins
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries