Login

NVC - the Nebula Virtual Controller Website is On Line

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: NVC - the Nebula Virtual Controller Website is On Line

Postby SWAN » Thu May 16, 2013 1:53 am

so when you open this controller the 13 Nebulae open inside it as opposed to 13 inserts in the DAW channel?
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mathias » Thu May 16, 2013 2:03 am

i think you have to open your effectchain yourself in the daw, then open the controler and maybe link it to the effectchain through some midichannel-arrangement. this may differ from daw to daw.

this is how i understand it, but i don't know really.
can someone shed light on that.
is it automatic or two things, that need some extrawork to get it to run?

mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mathias » Thu May 16, 2013 2:22 am

atm i use a software called vxplug from vertexdsp, which can load several vstplugins in one instance and map their controls to controls in vxplug.
when you load a saved instance of vxplug, you get the complete saved chain.

it is not as convenient in acting with the controler, as the nice surface that RJ made here. you have to remember your layout yourself, there is nothing written that will remind you.
but it is a good and helpful solution in building effectchains, that i use for years now.
it has an option to switch the internal engine from serial to parallel processing, while automatically balancing the outputgain, based on the number of instances used. this will lower the volumerange of i.e. filtergain (the more instances parallel, the less gain), but is a great option nevertheless.

i will be happy, when this solution here grows into something versatile, that will make the work with nebula more convenient and joyful.

good luck for this project,
mathias
system 1: windows 8 32 bit - samplitude prox, tracktion6, reaper
system 2: mac osx yosemite - reaper(32+64bit), tracktion6(32+64bit)

both systems on: macbook pro (late 2009), core 2 duo 3,06 ghz, 4 gb ram, graphic: nvidia geforce 9600M GT 512 MB
mathias
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:33 am

mathias wrote:i think you have to open your effectchain yourself in the daw, then open the controler and maybe link it to the effectchain through some midichannel-arrangement. this may differ from daw to daw.

this is how i understand it, but i don't know really.
can someone shed light on that.
is it automatic or two things, that need some extrawork to get it to run?

mathias

At least in Reaper, the platform I have been testing in, the pain-in-the-butt setup only needs to happen once. That is saved as an fx chain or track template. After that it is a simple one click (and wait for 13 Nebula instances to load...) and you are good to go. Regarding "where" these 13 instances are.... In Reaper they are still loaded into the fx bay on their own, but controlled via midi with the one GUI controller. This controller is not a shell, or a plugin wrapper; it is a controller.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Thu May 16, 2013 2:38 am

SWAN wrote:so when you open this controller the 13 Nebulae open inside it as opposed to 13 inserts in the DAW channel?

As I said in my last post, this is not a shell, it is merely a controller. I think that this is actually a better alternative, it leaves more flexibility for future development for us users to build our own virtual hardware pieces with this controller. Keep in mind everyone, RJ is the supreme king dev on this one, I am merely a tester and answering some questions as a user (and I am personally aware that RJ is on a gig right now and I don't think anyone here wants to wait many hours for even a shred of info... :shock: ....my fellow Neb addicts..... :twisted: )
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby SWAN » Thu May 16, 2013 3:24 am

Mmm sounds like it may only work in certain DAWs...Live should be able to set this up as well...not sure about Cubase and Logic...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby richie43 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:58 am

SWAN wrote:Mmm sounds like it may only work in certain DAWs...Live should be able to set this up as well...not sure about Cubase and Logic...

I am not sure. I can't think of what would stop any DAW from allowing this though. Any DAW that is intended for serious work should have some kind of function that is similar to all of the elements that make this work in Reaper. To my understanding, this is just midi assignment. RJ..... where are you.....?
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Thu May 16, 2013 9:25 am

Good morning or evening everyone !

Yes, we had the late nite Jazz performance ... just got back in [at least what's left of me] :lol:

First and foremost ... my sincere thanks to fellow member [Expert] Richie for fielding the variety of questions and relaying his experience with NVC-MP.
Thank-you Richie also for the behind the scene testing and evaluation!

OK ... several questions/inquiries I see ... I'm a bit wiped out from the gig, and may need a second shot to answer clearly :shock: But we'll try ...

In no particular order ... First, the NVC is purely a MIDI device housed within a VST plugin. Yes, the NVC will pass audio ! However, it [of itself] will not alter this audio in any way. Think of it as straight in to out. By this design the NVC exhibits zero latency.

2. As Richie stated... the NVC is not a shell. It does NOT house any plugins, Nebula or otherwise. It may be helpful to think of the NVC as a 'hardware' controller [like a keyboard or mix surface] except ... it exists as a VST plugin.

I mention this to help relate how this would work within your DAW of choice. There is no reason for me to tout which DAW to use ... however, it is true that I've gone over to the Reaper side ... for a multitude of personal reasons that only I would have to contend with. The downside is that this is the only DAW that I've to test.

The key point [I would say] is that any DAW that can host a VSTi [for instance] should be able to handle MIDI data. The importance is routing this MIDI data.

To be very honest ... there is a bare-bones MIDI implementation within Nebula. I've raised this issue with Acoustica Dev ... the reply was not what I hope for. If the community clamored, I don't know if this will get much needed expansion ... I sincerely hope so ! Believe me ... if I could get MIDI access to the 2 main Input/Output faders ... that would be a welcomed improvement. If a SYSEX dump could be performed, I could see so many possibilities. But another issue is that NEBULA only responds GLOBALLY.
What this means is that it 'sees' all 16 MIDI channel. So, if a Program Change command is sent, ever NEBULA instance will respond, regardless of the channel it is sent on. This is something that really should be addressed within Nebula proper.

That said ... all is not lost, but we have to do some DAW 'magic'. I have put together an FX chain with Reaper that uses 2 free JS plugins that come with Reaper. 1 is MidiReaRoute, and the other is the Midi_Bus_Router. Through this we can 'isolate' each Nebula instance so that it responds to only one specified MIDI channel. Each sub module of the NVC has a MIDI channel assigner. From the controller we can then 'talk' directly to the intended Nebula. We can call up the correct patch to load so that the NVC interface has all the corresponding controls and values.

I agree ... it may sound complicated, but the description is tougher than the actual doing :roll:
Saving this off as an EFXChain is the best practice.

Every DAW will have there own routing mechanism to do this ... some may be much better than Reaper, or maybe I should say that a more 'limited' efx routing system may be more directly configured that Reaper's seemingly boundless design ... I don't know.

Alternatively, we can also look at VST Chainers for other solutions.

OK ... so I probably bummed out some on this stuff. But remember, we have some pretty smart, savvy Nebulites that have advanced knowledge and practice with Their DAW of choice. Once we have release for the DEMO we will see the possibilities.

I will say, from the 'programming' aspect of NVC, there is nothing I skipped over :lol:

ok ... other stuff ....

Question about the all the Nebula in a chain....

Part of the 'mission' of this first release was to access the outer edges of what could be possible ... or at least reasonable. My primary work nowadaze is mastering. The Mammoth EQ is sometimes used for just this purpose. The library structure was also of interest because it was so UN-ruley :o The sound was great, but I just could not get my head and ears around the software version with its' band separation and idiosyncrasies. If you look at the HM PK+ compare to the HM PK-, you'll notice these 2 patches are more different than just being positive or negative gain. The LO PK + and - even have different freq available. OK, that's the library ... I wanted to have this bad boy laid out clearly without hindrance, guessing, nor distraction.

To this end ... the NVC-MP has now allowed for full access to this powerful EQ. I can now shape, bend, fold, and [mutilate ... sorry, just a fun line :lol: ] in a way that even exceeds the hardware unit limitation ... we can cut and/or boost !

Something I should mention that may be important to some ...

For all practical means, the NVC-MP has no concern as to the number of Nebula's that are loaded into an efx chain ! :o

The ONLY limit ... we have 16 MIDI Channels. So in essence, we can build a 16 Nebula chain ... on the other hand, and maybe equally important ...

If you don't need all 13 Nebula for a expanded Mammoth EQ, the NVC has NO ISSUE if a Nebula is not there to talk with. Does that make sense ?? :?

In other words, if you need only 1, 2 or 5 bands of EQ, you would only need to load the number of Nebula you want. It is only important to choose the desired sub-module that has the patch [band] you need... load up a blank Nebula from you custom Mammoth DLL, ensure that the MIDI channel is properly filter to that Nebula ... and from the NVC select the patch from the pull down menu. You're ready to go.

If your default chain has all 13 Nebula loaded, you can remove the ones you don't use. To help visually keep track, you can BYPASS any module not being used so that you only see what's important.

well ... that last brain cell ain't got much left for tonite. I hope some of this made sense.

I'll definitely check in tomorrow !

Thanks everyone!
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby SWAN » Thu May 16, 2013 11:26 am

ok I see so you really need to have the chain set-up in your DAW...

does anyone know if this could be used in Cubase? As I believe Cubendo has the limitation on insert slots...

I have considered Reaper but as I compose as much as I need to mix or more - Live, Cubase and Logic are more attractive to me in these areas...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby koda » Thu May 16, 2013 12:32 pm

this is crazy! carry on
koda
User Level VI