Login

OwnHammer Speaker Cabinets Pro Sneak Preview

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

OwnHammer Speaker Cabinets Pro Sneak Preview

Postby ownhammer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:45 pm

Hey Everybody,

Just wanted to give everybody a heads up on a new line of Nebula-only libraries I'll be debuting soon, hopefully next Friday. Typically I wait for release announcements to detail new products, but I'm having a bit of a difficulty keeping this one in until then. :D

Soon to be released will be the Speaker Cabinets Pro series of libraries:

The controls you see above break down into the following:

- Tone -
Continuously variable control from 0 to 10. At 5.00 the signal is purely that of the solid state Bryston 3B-ST, which is what the standard library counterparts are pushed through. As you move from 5 to 10 the signal evenly changes to that of an Engl e635 Fireball 100 with the presence on 10. This will gradually give a small mid scoop and a boost to the upper mids and highs which may be just what the doctor ordered for some that feel that solid state amplification for IR captures yeilds a somewhat rounded and mid-heavy sound. As you move from 5 to 0 the signal evenly changes to that of the Engl with the presence on 0, which gives a small mid scoop and a boost to the lower mids and lows. The Engl's power amp was chosen as it is relatively flat for a tube power section; at a certain point in the middle the audible frequency response, or lack there of, was extremely close to that of the Bryston. This allows for the character of the power amp of the amp or amp sim feeding this to remain relatively unaffected while giving additional frequency related tone control.

- X -
Continuously variable control of the mic position along the X-axis from speaker center to speaker edge.

- Z -
Continuously variable control of the mic position along the Z-axis from the grill cloth to 12 inches away.

- Aux -
Continuously variable blend in of an auxillary mic, whose character fit about midway between that of a floor plane mic and a room mic. This will take a little less emphasis off of the speaker and bring in more of the cabinet. Some of you may recognize this sound signature, though I purposefully made it a point to keep the application of this technique sonically unique.

- Fat -
Continuously variable blend in of the OwnHammer Fat tone recipe from 0 up through Fat2.

Between all of these controls, the ability for sound sculpting and customizing is simply incredible. I've been conceptualizing this since the end of last year, got side tracked in the spring with a lot of important things, then have been developing and testing about a dozen different versions of this over the last 2-3 months before I landed on this final configuration.

These are a massive amount of work, and with 192 individual placements per mic at 96 kHz they take up a good amount of HDD real estate as well. As such, I'll be releasing them at the mic level, and my initial batch will be the Shure SM57 dynamic, Mojave MA-200 condenser, and AEA R92 ribbon.

There are a few other changes here and there, mostly to a few attributes of the site that I'm still working on as well. Looking extremely forward to getting all 5 packages up on the site as soon as I can.

Just wanted to preview this for any of you who may be interested. More details will be available come the release announcement, so stay tuned! :)
ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

Re: OwnHammer Speaker Cabinets Pro Sneak Preview

Postby Mplay » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:02 pm

Looks interesting. I've been wondering if these speaker cabinets are only useful for guitars or would they bring something extra to synthesizer sounds. Is anyone using them like that?
Mplay

Postby vicnestE » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Good to see the progress. I've been waiting for these so long.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby meloco » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Really interesting!
But maybe you'd provide a tad dumbed down version of this along the way? Especially in terms of mic placements.
Because, I love to get tweaky when I have time and energy, but sometimes I just need to get things done. :D
meloco
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby ownhammer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:56 pm

meloco wrote:Really interesting!
But maybe you'd provide a tad dumbed down version of this along the way? Especially in terms of mic placements.
Because, I love to get tweaky when I have time and energy, but sometimes I just need to get things done. :D

Been doing that for a year as of tomorrow. :)

The standard, non-"Pro" version offers 5 sweet spot positions per mic, and now includes the Fat1 and Fat2 versions of the mostly natural captures:

The above is the new way I'm presenting it as of this next release (412-GTR Bogner V31), which allows for stepped choice of mic placement and Fat level. Previous libraries have the programs issued individually per mic position, but I've now revamped how I create the programs as well as cutting out the bloat of a lot of unnecessary space and resource wasting features. I'll be updating all of the previous libraries to this new methodology and 96 kHz sample rate when I go back and recapture them to be able to offer the Fat and Secret Stash portions, which are relatively new. All updates will be free downloads for existing customers of the particular library being updated.
ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

Postby gLOW_x » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:58 pm

Very impressed by the settings and concept !
You get the flexibility of a dedicated cab sim plugin, only using Nebula...

When you do the final release, post on "ultimate metal" forum too :D

Speak about your previous work too, again and again.
You need to spam the world with your work, especially Nebula one ;)
It totally kills everything in the cab sim world.

For ppl who doesn't know your previous releases, my fav is :
"Mills 412-GTR Acoustics Afterburner 4x12 • Celestion Vintage 30 #1 - Metal Full mix"
http://www.ownhammer.com/media/speakercabinets/412-GTR_Mills_V31/
gLOW_x
User Level I
User Level I

Postby richie43 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:20 pm

DEFINITELY keep us posted on this! I for one will scoop this one up as soon as it's released, no demo required for me with your stuff. I have learned that there are a few devs that I trust their stuff with no need for demos. Cool concept!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby ownhammer » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:04 am

ownhammer
User Level V
User Level V

Postby richie43 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:15 am

This looks great. Question; did the previous libraries get updated to use these new functions or is it just for the new libraries? Which cab libraries use these new features? Thanks.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:29 am

I just looked at your website, and I still can't figure out which are the "pro" libraries. I own 1 of your speaker libraries, the "412-GTR SLM BLU (NEB)". I just downloaded and installed the most current version, and I am not seeing these new features. What am I missing? I would be happy to buy another library if that's what it takes, I really want to try it! Thanks. I own a bunch of your other libraries and must say that you develope very nice stuff!
richie43
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries