Login

Top 3rd party Time variant programs?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Top 3rd party Time variant programs?

Postby mightymosaic » Wed May 01, 2013 8:23 pm

I haven't really seen much around . is there a reason why?
mightymosaic

Re: Top 3rd party Time variant programs?

Postby Cupwise » Wed May 01, 2013 10:10 pm

i'm not sure but i think my 2 might be the only 3rd party ones- custom tremolo and the youreiB set i just did. they are really hard to sample right, and to set up/program, and can be really time consuming. youreiB is an extreme example even for something time variant, but it had hundreds of hours in it. i thought it came out really, really well and can do a lot of awesome things, but in terms of sales and in the KVR/Gearslutz forums where good reviews/comments might generate sales, it went relatively ignored. i thought that for it being a pretty new type of thing using the nebula tech, and at the price i had it set to, it would catch on for sure. sales dropped off to none/sporadic in less than a week, and at 32 total to date i made just over 300$ which is about how much the unit cost me. it took more time than anything i've ever made, and in terms of monetary return and factoring in the time it was a clear loss. that said, i don't really see it as time totally wasted because i think it was/is a pretty cool thing and it's definitely unique, and i'm proud to have made it.

but the point is, that last paragraph is one big reason why i'm personally not likely to do any more of these any time soon. there may be one exception, which is something i actually did most of the sampling for over a year ago. i may try to find the time to finish that, and if it doesn't go anywhere that will be it for me with this type of stuff. recording, editing, and organizing thousands of samples over a period of weeks, with hundreds of super precise annoying adjustments to be made, and then having to figure out how to make programs that do what you want from those samples, basically bending Nebula's internals to your will over a slow process of trial and error, and doing all of that for practically nothing, or maybe a bag of peanuts, is no fun.

youreib is no phaser or flanger but it can produce similar types of effects, and i was hoping it might be a step for me into that realm. i'd love to try to do those types of things, but if the community at large isn't interested i'm not going to do it. keep in mind i'm only speaking for myself here, and about my own personal experience. but these types of things can be a total nightmare to do.
Last edited by Cupwise on Thu May 02, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby marcpl » Thu May 02, 2013 12:08 am

well if it makes you feel any better i'm one of the 32 and i think it's really great. i also love custom tremolo.

i wish more devs would focus on time variant libs.so whatever you develop i'll buy. there's only so many comps and eqs i can have before it just becomes clutter.

BTW, i wouldn't mind if you raised your prices. the value for the $ is rediculous.

regards,
marco
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

Postby mightymosaic » Thu May 02, 2013 12:51 am

Wow, I had no idea Cupwise, I wonder why Producers / Engineers aren't asking for more TMV Programs. Especially in this new EDM era we are in.The Plug ins sound SO Cheap! Ill check out Your libraries asap. I already own all of your comps :) p.s I was super upset when i bought Neb 3 pro bundle and realized The TMV are all at a 44.1 Sample rate.
mightymosaic

Postby Cupwise » Thu May 02, 2013 2:26 am

yeah, i think all that stuff was sampled back when nebula first came out. i'm not 100% on that, i wasn't on board from the very beginning. but it was a bit before people like alexb really started pushing for 96khz to become more common. (i think he was one of the first ones)

some of the stuff in that batch of tmv effects you get with nebula does have a cool sound and can be useful on occasion, but just like how 3rd party preamps/tapes/consoles/etc kind of took off from and improved on/surpassed those types of programs that come with nebula, i think that tmv stuff could be made that's similarly advanced to those in the included library. they just take a huge amount of work, and creative problem solving.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby TWM » Thu May 02, 2013 3:30 am

Cupwise,
I just tried accessing your site and got a "threat denied" message from my AVG. All I get is a black screen when I type in "cupwisedotcom". Just a heads up.
i'd asked you a few weeks ago whether your stuff worked on the Neb3 regular commercial and you very kindly replied. So, after reading the above posts, I was feeling a little guilty re not getting your tremelo which I'm really interested in. Business has been horrible of late so I've had to cut back but I'll definitely get that. Anyway, blah blah blah, just wanted to let you know about your website.
TWM
TWM
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Cupwise » Thu May 02, 2013 3:40 am

thanks twm but you don't need to feel guilty. i wasn't trying to guilt trip anyone, just explaining my side of why i'm personally not going to put effort into any more tmv stuff unless the next one takes off.

and yes i've been made aware that there could be an issue with my site so i'm shutting it down for now until i figure out what to do.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby TWM » Thu May 02, 2013 3:50 am

The internet is such a double-edged sword. You are doing quality work, but there there are a gazillion other developers out there, many of whom are also doing quality. I find it the same way trying to get my music out. The competition for eyeballs and ears is unprecedented. As you say, at least it was worthwhile doing it. C'est la vie.
TWM
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Cupwise » Thu May 02, 2013 4:58 am

yeah that's all true. if people aren't interested they aren't interested. i felt that with the set being the only 3rd party time variant effect resembling anything remotely like a phaser/flanger, it would grab some attention, so it seemed worth trying. maybe since it was just basic filters instead of an actual phaser/flange deal, it just wasn't that exciting.

the other thing i was talking about, if i ever do finish it, it will definitely be a final answer for me, as to whether there is any possibility of getting interest in tmv stuff to justify doing it. i actually had it 'partly' working and it seemed like it could be taken to release quality from those tests. it's a stereo 117 flanger (i have two of the original pedals). if THAT doesn't take off then i think that will be pretty conclusive. i may have actually put more time in it than the youreiB stuff, because i kept realizing my work wasn't 'correct', and having to restart and redo tens of hrs (happened at least twice). heh, i had to just walk away from that one for a while, and it's been over a yr now. i might be able to approach them again now without flipping out. :mrgreen:
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Thu May 02, 2013 6:32 am

one thing I might say is that there might be a bigger market for a very characterful and juicy vintage unit...like a bi-phase, or a Roland Flanger or something like that...if it could beat a normal plugin sound...

But if its a ludicrous amount of work for not much return I would not push for it of course...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries