Login

Update- Smooth 609A Limiter now up!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Smooth 609A BusComp+Limiter, Cupwise FX -NEW UPDATE!!!

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 pm

hmm yeah that doesn't sound right. it should be at least close, or at least i think the gr meters in my comps are fairly accurate, at least with constant test tones. but even with normal audio it should be registering something if there is compression going on. it's possible that i messed something up before release with that demo.

i plan on going back and doing another update for the full set sometime soon-ish, and also dealing with the MAC issues that some people have had with the demo set crashing neb, so i'll try to remember to take a look at the demo gr meter when i do those things. i'm fairly sure that what you're describing doesn't happen with the full version though. if you go ahead and buy it could you let me know if the same thing happens in the full versions or not?
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Smooth 609A BusComp+Limiter, Cupwise FX -NEW UPDATE!!!

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:55 pm

the limiter is now up!

it's more... limited in versatility than the compressor, obviously, but i added in some extra controls and abilities not found in the hardware that i think opens it up quite a bit. as always you can use the standard versions which are the most similar to the hardware, but there are additional versions using different detection mode types which will give different results. you can crossfade between the sound of the unit with no comp/limiting and the limiting effect itself, and you can also mix in some of the purely dry signal as well which gives you a lot of ways to be more subtle about what you do here. of course you can also use that ability to crush something and then mix some un-crushed portion back in to get different results.

it can do instant limiting even though the hardware would let a couple of milliseconds by before clamping down. it definitely lives up to the name 'smooth' at almost all times. again, it's not as versatile as the compressor, but it definitely has uses and it definitely has an analog sound to it. there are audio demos for you to listen to, so go check it out.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Re: Update- Smooth 609A Limiter now up!

Postby SWANG » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:48 pm

awesome! thanks for the update...
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby Cupwise » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:15 pm

something else i would like to point out about the limiter- i feel that i've made the gain reduction meters more accurate now. they used to 'stick'. so say there was 15db of gain reduction, the meter would stay at that for moments even after the gain reduction stopped happening, before the meter would finally return to 0db. now it doesn't do that. i think it makes the thing a lot more accurate.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby cehas » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Purchased. Loving it.

Yeah, the GR issues was with demo. All fine now, but the SHQ is totally murdering my computer. Can't use it.
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby richie43 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:24 pm

cehas wrote:Purchased. Loving it.

Yeah, the GR issues was with demo. All fine now, but the SHQ is totally murdering my computer. Can't use it.

I think that is normal. I have been using it by getting the sound right with a normal instance, and then mimicking the settings with the SHQ instance and using it only for rendering.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby ngarjuna » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:56 pm

From the 609 Manual:
"All variations are also offered in special 'SHQ' versions which use a ton of CPU but offer a more 'super high quality' sound. They use so much cpu that you won't be able to mix with them, and they are intended for rendering only."

"...If your CPU will allow it, try using the SHQ-lite program to audition before switching to the 10k SHQ for rendering..."

"The SHQ programs are not just simply programs saved using 'timed' mode instead of the default 'freqd' mode. They also use much longer kernels which means more of the tone from the unit should theoretically be provided (with a slightly more accurate bass response), and a faster prog rate, which means the attack/release shapes are more accurate and more consistent. They take a huge amount of CPU, so with the exception of the 'SHQ-lite' temporary use version you probably won't be able to run/audition them while mixing. You will have to use either the standard versions, or the 'SHQ-lite', then switch to the full SHQ prigs on render, if you want to use them. The problem is that when you switch programs, you lose your settings on the controls. To get around this will be left up to you, but I would suggest trying to find out if your host software has a simple way of doing it via its automation handling..."

The middle quote suggests to me that even the SHQ-lite programs will still be too heavy for some machines; but in no way is SHQ meant to be auditioned or played back.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby cehas » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:29 am

Wow. I think this thing just triumphs with especially with lower ratios (like 1.3), I'm finally able to do 2-3 dB GR with no difficulty.

Beats every VST compressor I've ever tried. Period.
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:01 pm

Today while I was working I replaced my usual bus comp with the 1k SHQ-lite just to see if it would handle it. This is on a 2011 Mac Pro running 10.7 sub-hosted in Metaplugin and wrapped in FXpansion; so that is to say a less than ideal environment (by and large Nebula works fine in this setup but there are very occasional crashes and it definitely doesn't handle resources the same as my native PC setup [which is how I'm more used to running Nebula]). Played back fine, I had no issues with the SHQ-lite. Granted, hardware wise it's not the oldest machine conceivable but I still half expected not to be able to use even the SHQ-lite. As promised there was a slight difference in the attack/release profile. I didn't try the SHQ full as that would likely not play back based on the manual and cehas' report (and on PT9 I can't run offline bounces anyway =\ ).
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:19 am

ngarjuna wrote:...(and on PT9 I can't run offline bounces anyway =\ ).

Oh me oh my......
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries