Login

Update- Smooth 609A Limiter now up!

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Smooth 609A BusComp+Limiter, Nebula - Cupwise FX

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed May 01, 2013 12:17 pm

I see you have taken the fade lengths down in the kern page!

Something thats in my release , yes it works well.

:D

And almost the same amount of samples thats a bit of a coinsodence is it not?

I'm not trying to start anything here just a bit baffled!!
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Wed May 01, 2013 12:38 pm

david1103 wrote:So if the compressor starts with its default 100ms release it is 100% authentic to the hardware, but if we move it down to 50ms it is not. I get that part, but is there something different in the 'quality/shape' of the release at non standard timings? Is the 100ms using a measurement but the 50ms just some kind of coded approximation?

no. it's the same shape/quality, only faster.
david1103 wrote:Not sure if that makes sense, put another way, is there a quality difference in setting it from 100ms to 95ms? Is the 95ms interpolated?

no there isn't any interpolation involved in attack/release times.
david1103 wrote:Without giving any secrets away, is there a new breakthrough that enables us to have 'dirty/character' compression without the dreaded Nebula artifacts? I was under the impression that your new techniques were only for ultra clean compression?
well i don't know if i would call it a new breakthrough, but i try to dedicate some additional time to experimenting/testing possible areas i might be able to improve each time i do one of these. this time i came up with the SHQ additional presets which i have to kind of fine-tune to prevent artifacts, and i also have to calibrate their attack/release timings separately, so it's not just a simple switch from freqd to timed. this is a more characterful comp than i've done before for sure. and i did make a comment to that effect back when i released rayphlex, but i think i was just saying that i didn't know. rayphlex was made from a pair of really clean (distortion and noise-wise) compressors. at that point it was the only comp thing i had made so i didn't know if my techniques would work with others. there were a couple of reasons i thought they might not, but i feel confident about the results i've got with this latest one.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Wed May 01, 2013 12:47 pm

timp wrote:I see you have taken the fade lengths down in the kern page!

Something thats in my release , yes it works well.

:D

And almost the same amount of samples thats a bit of a coinsodence is it not?

I'm not trying to start anything here just a bit baffled!!

heh, sorry timp, i actually haven't had time to check out your latest comp release. it looks promising though. the reason i've removed fadeout times from these programs is because i've mass-edited and applied quick fade-outs to the impulses directly, since it gives me more control that way. i figured then that having nebula do an additional fade out would be redundant. also, i don't know if i really trust nebula's fade-out a whole lot. i've noticed before that it seems somehow a bit wonky with reverbs where you might want to use the fadeout to shorten the lengths for a custom reverb. somehow when i've done that the fadeout just didn't seem 'proper' to me.

and my demo has lengths of just over 10ms, because that's the longest you can have them while still getting a prog rate of 2.6ms (with 96khz version). it's not really a coincidence that your lengths would be similar... since 10ms happens to be the default length that acustica's NAT templates are set up to provide for comps. 10ms is what almost all neb comps have for their lengths...

i don't believe that either the removal of fadeouts or the particular kern lengths i've used here have anything to do with improving nebula comp behavior either.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 pm

all in all fade outs cause phasing and in theory slow things down.

It appears that im blocked from your website now

Exploit blackhole 2704
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Wed May 01, 2013 1:07 pm

timp wrote:all in all fade outs cause phasing and in theory slow things down.

Exploit blackhole 2704

i don't know where all of this is coming from timp. i don't know anything about your fadeout 'theory', but i haven't noticed any phasing. none of the people who have happily been using my stuff for the past couple of years seem to have noticed any either.

i also have no idea how to block someone from my website. as you can tell by looking at it (my site), web stuff is not really my forte. ;)
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed May 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Cupwise wrote:
timp wrote:all in all fade outs cause phasing and in theory slow things down.

Exploit blackhole 2704

i don't know where all of this is coming from timp. i don't know anything about your fadeout 'theory', but i haven't noticed any phasing. none of the people who have happily been using my stuff for the past couple of years seem to have noticed any either.

i also have no idea how to block someone from my website. as you can tell by looking at it (my site), web stuff is not really my forte. ;)

First I was not saying anything bad about your other release's , Please....

It was an Anti virus warning

I'm just saying that im blocked from your website I think you should check it out. For all I know other users could be getting the same. It was fine 20mis ago.......,

and works on my other network

I'll ask my web tech,

I dunno?!!
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Wed May 01, 2013 1:42 pm

timp wrote:First I was not saying anything bad about your other release's , Please....
but you DID say that fadeouts cause phasing, and everything i've released over the past 2+yrs probably used either a custom fade-out or nebulas built in fades. not to mention probably all programs made by everyone.

timp wrote:I'm just saying that im blocked from your website I think you should check it out. For all I know other users could be getting the same. It was fine 20mis ago.......,
heh, i don't know man. i have no idea about web stuff, so if there actually is some issue with you accessing it from one network and not another, i wouldn't be able to do anything about it. could be some issue with my web host. i've had (rare) times where it was down for me, but generally my host seems pretty good about that. but it really kind of seems like you are accusing me of blocking you directly in your first mention of this. :?
timp wrote:I dunno?!!
i don't either..
timp wrote:It was an Anti virus warning
now you're trying to suggest that my site has a virus? it's weird but i'm looking at my calendar and seeing 5/1, not 4/1. :P

google safe browsing seems to think my site is safe:
http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=cupwise.com
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed May 01, 2013 1:57 pm

The fade out thing seems to sound phasey but fades cut down on the artifacts. So how was I Having a personal dig at your other releases and so every other release has had fades up until monday. So how is that a personal dig?
Pros and cons to each side if you ask me.

I may well use fades on another release!

and the website thing I have no idea how you would do that either. If anyone gets a block or a virus warning (or whatever it is) Im sure they are going to tell you dont you think?

What does Exploit blackhole 2704 mean? I dont know but my anti-virus has picked up on it and I cant get on your web page from this computer.To be fair going to avg info it say your site is safe.

Weird....... :shock:

Cupwise wrote:
timp wrote:First I was not saying anything bad about your other release's , Please....
but you DID say that fadeouts cause phasing, and everything i've released over the past 2+yrs probably used either a custom fade-out or nebulas built in fades. not to mention probably all programs made by everyone.

timp wrote:I'm just saying that im blocked from your website I think you should check it out. For all I know other users could be getting the same. It was fine 20mis ago.......,
heh, i don't know man. i have no idea about web stuff, so if there actually is some issue with you accessing it from one network and not another, i wouldn't be able to do anything about it. could be some issue with my web host. i've had (rare) times where it was down for me, but generally my host seems pretty good about that. but it really kind of seems like you are accusing me of blocking you directly in your first mention of this. :?
timp wrote:I dunno?!!
i don't either..
timp wrote:It was an Anti virus warning
now you're trying to suggest that my site has a virus? it's weird but i'm looking at my calendar and seeing 5/1, not 4/1. :P

google safe browsing seems to think my site is safe:
http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=cupwise.com
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Wed May 01, 2013 2:13 pm

*sigh*
look timp, my deciding not to use nebula's fades on this release, and you apparently deciding to not use them in your recent release, is pure coincidence. in my opinion removing fadeouts won't improve anything about the compression, so i wouldn't have any reason to swipe that idea from you anyway. the fadeouts have little to nothing to do with anything. i just decided to not use them this time, and i'm sure the difference between keeping the 1ms fadeouts and turning them off, is almost totally negligible. your first post is definitely insinuating that i've taken your ideas (and you still are), which i think i've done a fair job of explaining away. anyone who happens to see this can make up their own minds. i'd really appreciate if you took these ideas/insinuations/whatever up with me personally instead of continuing to derail my thread in several directions.

now if you will excuse me, i have some stuff to do. :|

EDIT- i just noticed that i read your first post wrong. i thought you said that i used the same sample lengths, but you actually said i used almost the same amount of samples. that just makes the insinuation that i copied your ideas even more ridiculous. # of samples has even less to do with how the programs will work than the length of them does (in terms of comp behavior, with freqd kerns). also, the full version will have a lot more samples in it than the demo. that's just how many samples were left after i cut out the other ratio settings and reduced it to being a 3k program. i'm sure plenty of devs have produced plenty of programs with similar #s of samples in them, and they weren't stealing each other's ideas, that's just the way it worked out.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed May 01, 2013 2:26 pm

Ok,

We'll leave it as is and I don't want to cause any rift on the forum believe me and when I said I didnt want to start anything. I ment it. I was asking If it was a coincidence and it would of been a complement if not. The similey face I was hoping may just of given the indication of that.

So... sorry

I have always praised your releases If you look at my posts. So, it sadens me that got like this.

Thanks

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries