Login

recommendations for adding subtle warmth on master?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

recommendations for adding subtle warmth on master?

Postby scopus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:02 pm

hey im looking for something to put on mixbus/master that will add subtle warmth to the mix without effecting the track spectrally- little to no changes to the high mid or low frequencies, so something very transparent but subtle warmth, any recommendations to try out? thanks
scopus
User Level I
User Level I

Re: recommendations for adding subtle warmth on master?

Postby adam73 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Hello scopus may not be what your looking for but there were some free tube presets on the site somewhere, also Henry done some free distortion presets which are cool and Yuval made some really nice stuff too :D
adam73
User Level III
User Level III

Postby scopus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:50 pm

thanks so much Adam, imma try those out :)
scopus
User Level I
User Level I

Postby richie43 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:53 pm

What a simple question that may yield MANY answers!! lol. there are so many Nebula presets that will "add subtle warmth", and some that are not so subtle even. In addition to what adam73 suggested, here is one of my favorite master buss "warmers"
http://rhythminmind.net/STN/?page_id=3416

It does add quite a bit of weight too, so it may or may not be for you. Henry has so many "mojo" and buss presets that will do it too. The E*I Girthy busses are nice..... I could do pages of suggestions.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby botus99 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:14 pm

For what you describe, I constantly go to AlexB's DTE processor. The thing's a magic box as far as I'm concerned!
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby Barendse » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:36 pm

botus99 wrote:For what you describe, I constantly go to AlexB's DTE processor. The thing's a magic box as far as I'm concerned!

+1

DTE is great! The 30ips and the saturation 1 program do have an almost flat freq curve. Sampled at 44.1 and 96khz. Perfect.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby scopus » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:22 pm

awesome! imma get those 2 as well the more flavors the better :D
scopus
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Gemini Audio » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:07 am

If you're looking for tube warmth, you might want to check out KultComp Tube, which is very linear and gives you different amounts of tube harmonics from 0% to 100%. I heard about mastering engineers who constantly use it.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby greekpeet » Thu May 09, 2013 4:55 am

I'd start with adding things to the master bus, which will get you started prior to you adding stuff on individual channels.

I'd say 99% of every mix gets this on the master, (working on a few singles, a remix, an EP and LP, so I'm kinda going for great sonics and impact across the board for these projects).

Alex B has a great Tube library I use (Mullard or the Telefunken) plus CDSM's Tube booster sometimes afterward.

The new Ampex library (specifically the MM @ 30ips) - 15 ips and pre on individual channels, followed by a single TB+ afterward (I use the VST not the nebula libraries for both of these so can't suggest how to use the individual neb presets).

Alex B's MBC (for whatever reason this always works consistently for my music, and have a ton of console libraries to choose from).

Rmind's Vari-MU compressor library

I think a lot of work goes into my sound design, arrangement, allowing contrasts, and careful adjustment of each individual stems 'tone' after the song is written will get you there.

Really its all about developing your own musical and sonic personality, with a general understanding of 'tone' and what the sound is asking for.

If your sounds are good and you know your libraries, the sounds and music tell you what they need. Sorry for being ambiguous but the sounds are looking for their 'true' tonal nature. I'd say this is far more relevant to rock, pop, and electronic music mixing. You could very well be doing classical or jazz (which require a far more natural approach), and I'd still trust this master buss processing for those genres as well.

Wish I had some fresher examples to share on my soundcloud (some rather ancient examples), but if you want pm me with some ideas and see if I can help out.
greekpeet
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby highvoltage » Thu May 09, 2013 12:45 pm

Tapebooster followed by a Studer tape. (Maybe a slower speed for warmth)

All from CDsoundmaster :D
highvoltage

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries