Login

Not quite piracy, but this bugs me.......

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Not quite piracy, but this bugs me.......

Postby richie43 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:19 pm

I just got this private message on GearSlutz. I understand that money is tight, but this bugged me. Especially since this person targeted me because I am enthusiastic about the Nebula technology and how awesome it has been for my audio. I have done a bunch of reviews on GS and now this...... I just wanted to pass this on, and if any of you get a similar request, or if you have thought about doing the same thing, please don't. It may not be offering libraries up for free as cracked versions, but it is still theft and still disrespectful to the devs. As far as I am concerned, it is also disrespectful to the legitimate users. 'Nuff said.
Attachments
Neb-Trade-Response.jpg
Neb-Trade-Response.jpg (82.02 KiB) Viewed 670 times
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Re: Not quite piracy, but this bugs me.......

Postby kylen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:47 pm

Yes, I get it, I can't afford it and don't seriously need it therefore I'll just pinch it, since I wasn't going to buy it anyway...blah, blah what an idiotic mentality. :evil:

I've met several of those in my travels, thankfully not very many...
kylen

Postby mertayy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:32 pm

I was broke for a while and mentioned couldn't buy an X library I wanted in pm to someone who I met in GS. Dude offered me he could upload the one he bought as I could use it for a while until I bought it from the developer.

It was all good intention but I replyed I wasn't comfortable with it and thanked him.

I guess back then the community was smaller and "insidents" never happened like today but it wouldn't be fair to the developers who don't mind giving away very usable demo's.
mertayy

So maybe there is hope......

Postby richie43 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 pm

Not a bad response to my response, I guess.....
Attachments
respones to response......jpg
respones to response......jpg (52.99 KiB) Viewed 634 times
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jeffbdavis » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 am

Ha! That dude sent me the -exact- same PM @ gearslutz. I didn't respond to him, but I did report him to the moderators. I haven't heard anything back - hopefully they took action.

And BTW, in regards to the title of this thread: yes, it's TOTALLY piracy... In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of the guys putting Neb libraries up on pirate sites... just my .02
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby richie43 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:09 am

Maybe you're right, and maybe I am overly-trusting. But since the last updated message that I attached in this thread, him and I have continued a back and forth messaging and none of it pertained to the idea of trading. I actually went into more depth about why I was so quick with my "NO". I know, that doesn't mean that he isn't still looking for the free stuff, but if he was looking for libraries to post, he wouldn't have wasted his time with idle friendliness after I had already shot down his offer. But you are definitely on the right track, lol. That's why I posted it in the first place, to let people know that some of the "pirate" tactics are more subtle than uploading torrents or cracks.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jeffbdavis » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:06 am

True. Hopefully, he's not one of the bad guys. I just thought it sounded fishy considering the explosion of Nebula piracy lately. But, who knows... :)
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby jkervin » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:16 pm

Got that message too - I was really surprised to get a PM like that. Pretty distubring really. Hopefully he'll come to his senses.
jkervin
User Level X
User Level X

Postby richie43 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Like I said, I tend to try to trust people since we live in a typically untrustworthy world, it seems, so I am choosing to believe that he is done, for now. Could you guys post back here if you continue to get the request for a trade? I know that I am not the nebula police, nor am I pretending to be "holier than thou"....lol.....but now I am curious if this person is being up front with me in his responses since he apologized and said that he understands blah blah blah.
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jeffbdavis » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:00 pm

Just heard back from one of the mods at GS. Apparently, we're not the only ones so they banned him.
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries