Login

Cupwise Release- Slick 9k Compressor

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cupwise Release- Slick 9k Compressor

Postby vicnestE » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:11 am

There's Alexb's MLC (9k desk), which should be a great companion.

Love Slick 9k compressor on modern drums bus.
Still digging it.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 am

Melon_Jack wrote:
jimiyves wrote:Since the Slick 9k Compressor seems to be transparent, is a good idea to use this compressor and add a mojo compressor file from Henry Olonga ?

Nice idea.. Maybe with Henry LA2A Mojo possible to make something closer to original hardware... Dunno..

One of the many cool things about Nebula is that there is no wrong way to use the presets, there is no right or wrong order to place things. But if you are going for authenticity, the LA-2A Mojo will sound great with the Slick Comp, it is certainly not going to get you closer to the hardware sound. Cupwise sampled the "Slick" hardware, it already has the mojo that the hardware has to offer. But if that combo sounds good to you, go for it!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby kylen » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:36 pm

I always like to find a section in a manual that gives me clues to original applications, settings ranges, etc.

Not that this fine sounding Nebula preset has anything to do with the ones I found. I'm just looking for a link to a manual so I can get a picture and some verbage for my 'engineering' scrapbook.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5917561/9000jmanual.pdf

Anyone have some better, more accurate links?
kylen

Postby winrob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:49 pm

I've already got Rayphlex, which i'm quite happy with.

Would like to hear from people with both what the advantages of each are?
winrob
User Level III
User Level III

Postby richie43 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:13 pm

winrob wrote:I've already got Rayphlex, which i'm quite happy with.

Would like to hear from people with both what the advantages of each are?

The main advantages of owning both are the fact that they are different "flavors", they are not similar in sound and behavior. Rayphlex is a "do-all" compressor, but I am particularly fond of compressor flavors and choices. The SlickComp is silky and "gluey".
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:05 pm

the character of the compression with the slick comps is quite different. The peak program has a snappier punch to it. I find Rayflex clamps down in a certain way that is quite different to slick and I would not use it on drums. Slick however is perfect for drums.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 pm

SWAN wrote:the character of the compression with the slick comps is quite different. The peak program has a snappier punch to it. I find Rayflex clamps down in a certain way that is quite different to slick and I would not use it on drums. Slick however is perfect for drums.

wow... i thought rayphlex was amazing on drums for punch. the normal 'hard' version and RMS 'hard' version in the alt folder have quite a different punch sound... have you tried both? would be interested in your opinion, and any more on what you dislike about the rayphlex for drums. cheers!
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby SWAN » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:58 pm

david1103 wrote:
SWAN wrote:the character of the compression with the slick comps is quite different. The peak program has a snappier punch to it. I find Rayflex clamps down in a certain way that is quite different to slick and I would not use it on drums. Slick however is perfect for drums.

wow... i thought rayphlex was amazing on drums for punch. the normal 'hard' version and RMS 'hard' version in the alt folder have quite a different punch sound... have you tried both? would be interested in your opinion, and any more on what you dislike about the rayphlex for drums. cheers!

I find rayflex to clamp down in a way that Im not into for drums-I just dont like the bite on the transient.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:49 am

SWAN wrote:I find rayflex to clamp down in a way that Im not into for drums-I just dont like the bite on the transient.

You can dramatically reduce the "clamping" with almost any Cupwise compressor, you can adjust the ratio with intense precision.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:16 am

richie43 wrote:
SWAN wrote:I find rayflex to clamp down in a way that Im not into for drums-I just dont like the bite on the transient.

You can dramatically reduce the "clamping" with almost any Cupwise compressor, you can adjust the ratio with intense precision.

sure but the ratio does not alter the curves of the A/R. Its fine man if you like it - just i prefer others on drums like the slick 9k/ubk1/sknote 165a.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries