Login

Cupwise Release- Slick 9k Compressor

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cupwise Release- Slick 9k Compressor

Postby vicnestE » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:37 am

Thank you for the trial version.
b) with this demo the attack control is limited to 50ms, and in full it goes up to 300ms.

From manual:
FST ATT – Normally the attack time is program dependent (3mS – 30mS).

What have you done to modify the attack time so flexible?

Is there soft knee mode on the hardware??
I know there's a "FST ATT" for fixed fast attack time (3mS for 20dB gain reduction).

It would be cool if the gate/expander could be sampled as well.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby Raynorshyn » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:09 am

Well,

I was just playing just a bit with the demo program on a drum buss, good level in, little slower attack and quick release... I was able to get some serious snap crackle pop. Like the drummer was trying to ear flick me with his stick.

...Bought!
Raynorshyn
User Level III
User Level III

Postby koda » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:27 pm

If you release compressors with the quality of Rayphlex then please release as much compressor as you can, and this world will be a better world :lol:

Things you say on nebula compressors issues with bass is a bit disturbing though... this would cut out nebula compression from all the bass-centric productions.
koda
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby Cupwise » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 pm

koda wrote:If you release compressors with the quality of Rayphlex then please release as much compressor as you can, and this world will be a better world :lol:
i need support from 'the community' to be able to keep doing anything. that means that at least some of the people who buy something i make, need to speak up about it where people can see. if i release more comps and nobody says anything about them then i'm not going to keep doing them. simple. i'm only saying this because for the past 2+yrs that i've been doing this, i've gotten very little support from the community, relatively. i've had a small core of dedicated customers, and i've had some amazing compliments, but they are usually sent to me in private email where it doesn't help me at all. i need word of mouth like anyone else...
koda wrote:Things you say on nebula compressors issues with bass is a bit disturbing though... this would cut out nebula compression from all the bass-centric productions.

it effects really low bass mostly, and mainly if it's by itself. if there is a mix of stuff which includes low bass and other frequencies on top of it, the problem may not occur. the release control usually seems to have some effect with it. so do the smooth2 type, and prog rate (try increasing both).

vicnestE wrote:Is there soft knee mode on the hardware??
yes. on the specific hardware that i used here, there is.
vicnestE wrote:It would be cool if the gate/expander could be sampled as well.

it would, but since there is no way to have a 'hold' function in nebula, they wouldn't be accurate. the hysteresis is another thing that nebula couldn't do. there may be other, simpler gates/expanders out there without those features, and Nebula might handle those well.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:05 am

i need support from 'the community' to be able to keep doing anything. that means that at least some of the people who buy something i make, need to speak up about it where people can see. if i release more comps and nobody says anything about them then i'm not going to keep doing them. simple. i'm only saying this because for the past 2+yrs that i've been doing this, i've gotten very little support from the community, relatively. i've had a small core of dedicated customers, and i've had some amazing compliments, but they are usually sent to me in private email where it doesn't help me at all. i need word of mouth like anyone else...

Tim your stuff is cool and you seem to have skill in capturing devices but a lot of it is quirky to say the least-I mean some of it I assumed you were not doing to be the most commercial products ever...and were more personal interest projects...

the rayflex compressor everybody loved and it is now probably the most common recommended compressor for Nebula as far as I have seen around the forums...thats not bad support...I had thought you were happy and suprised by the success/interest with Rayflex and keen to follow that up with more compressors as a result...

Anyways Ive just tried the demo and think this compressor sounds excellent...for what its worth...and will do my bit to recommend it...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 am

SWAN wrote:Tim your stuff is cool and you seem to have skill in capturing devices but a lot of it is quirky to say the least-I mean some of it I assumed you were not doing to be the most commercial products ever...and were more personal interest projects...
partly true, obviously. but there was always a huge disparity between the compliments i would get privately and the sometimes almost complete lack of support in forums. i did do what i did because it interested me and i had fun doing it, but i'd be lying if i said i didn't expect some of that stuff to catch on a little more than it did, or if i denied that the lack of that had any negative impact at all.
SWAN wrote:the rayflex compressor everybody loved and it is now probably the most common recommended compressor for Nebula as far as I have seen around the forums...thats not bad support...I had thought you were happy and suprised by the success/interest with Rayflex and keen to follow that up with more compressors as a result...
yes it was a success. and it's something that's more 'in demand' compared to my 'quirkier' stuff. it's fair enough that rayphlex overshadowed all of my other sales combined. i get why it did.
SWAN wrote:Anyways Ive just tried the demo and think this compressor sounds excellent...for what its worth...and will do my bit to recommend it...

obviously nobody HAS to say anything. there is no written contract between a dev and a customer concerning word of mouth support. once a sale is complete that's the end of obligation. on the other hand, if anyone likes what i'm doing and would like me to be able to do more, well the same laws of economy apply to me that apply to all other devs in nebula or any other format. i had fun doing what i did for the past 2 yrs but that's not enough anymore. i'm not begging for any extra or special support here, i'm merely explaining what will dictate whether i keep doing this.

and all of this is completely to the side of the recent piracy concerns..
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby jeffbdavis » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:18 am

Cupwise wrote:i need support from 'the community' to be able to keep doing anything. that means that at least some of the people who buy something i make, need to speak up about it where people can see. if i release more comps and nobody says anything about them then i'm not going to keep doing them. simple. i'm only saying this because for the past 2+yrs that i've been doing this, i've gotten very little support from the community, relatively. i've had a small core of dedicated customers, and i've had some amazing compliments, but they are usually sent to me in private email where it doesn't help me at all. i need word of mouth like anyone else...

Have you thought about putting up a Youtube channel with examples and comparisons? I think you'd get a lot more attention (especially from non-Nebula folks) if you did something like this... just saying :)
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby richie43 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:45 am

I would be happy to put up some reviews on some of the more obvious sites if you would like. Nebula is even becoming accepted over at the goofy GearSlutz forum, and I have done some reviews for a few of the other devs. Sorry Tim, I guess I also assumed that you were doing this more your own interest and all.... I apologize and would love to help you any way I can. About the new Slick....
I bought it, and as always, I set up it's own instance using Zabukowski's free Nebula Set-Ups, and for the XML template, I used a modified "Nebula Compressor" XML from the Gemini stuff..... the gain reduction is at -6db and more without touching the threshold, with moderate (-12db) input levels. This is not the intended behavior, is it? Granted, I never use demo's from the devs I love to buy from, I just buy the newest stuff from you, so maybe I missed something....?
Is there a general XML template that you recommend for this comp?
Let me know if you do indeed want me to do some write-ups, I'd be honored.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby mrtrip » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:33 am

I've just purchased and love the sound! A few points I am also experiencing -6db reduction and not sure if the manual describes how to use the Dry control corectly. As I only could get it working by turning dry to 100%, Nebula output down almost off and had to use the make up control to mix in the wet signal. Is this working as expected as the manual has no mention of using the make up control?

I do a lot of work with bass heavy kick drums,a bass pre-set would be great. Or what are your recommendations for Nebula master settings?
mrtrip
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Cupwise » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:51 am

thanks for pointing it out guys- there is an issue with the 44.1khz versions of the set i believe. i just forgot that they need some extra adjusting separate from the 96khz versions. i'll get fixes out ASAP. it doesn't have anything to do with xml configs.

as for the dry control, it's not a wet/dry mixer. turning it up all the way does not mean you only get dry signal. with the dry control at 100% you still have the compressed signal in at it's full level but now you also have a dry at +3db above input level. yes it would be great if it could be a wet/dry mixer, but doing something like that becomes a huge complicated task in nebula, so a control that just adds some dry back in seemed better than nothing to me.

i'm pretty sure makeup is explained in the manual. it's just an output gain.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries