Login

Cdsoundmaster - STU A-820

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cdsoundmaster - STU A-820

Postby david1103 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:01 pm

yr wrote:I'm not sure the phase (or delay) issues are related to reaper. Here is the "15 NAB hot" phase response in the vst analyzer:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?7trc7cwk40dmqhc

Could you say what settings were used in the analyzer to get your image? I have not seen vst analyzer display exactly like that.

How would you read the results, and do you have any other program pictures to compare it to? cheers!
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Hi Enrique,
There is no issue in Reaper.
There is no issue with the programs either.
There is a delay built into each program that is unique to its own samples. It is accurate to itself, and any groups, especially like drums, all need to use the same tape program to remain synched with each other. Everything is working correctly.

enriquesilveti wrote:
First off, as many of you already know, Michael has been absolutely amazing on his response to the issue I'm having. I must also mention, it seems like I'm one of the few, if only user having an issue at this point. Its not a question of disliking the tonal aspect of the library. In fact, it will likely grow to be one of my favs. My issue has been purely technical.

I noticed when I inserted 1 instance of the 15ips programs on a group of tracks(say only the kick drum), I would experience a very strange delay/phase issue with the rest of my drum tracks. I tried every trick in the book including removing, flushing, reinstalling, panning, buffers, you name it. I still technically cannot use the program with only a few tracks, which leads me to the solution.

Insert the same instance on all tracks.

Once I added the instance too all my drum tracks, phase issues disappeared. Very odd, but it works.
I can't say I have other libraries that react this way, but so long as it works I suppose.

Hello jrasia. We have close relationship with Reaper developers. Send me an explanation of your issue and I send to Reaper support. http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... &Itemid=95
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi Vando,

Yes, there are more programs in the NebPro program library than there are in the VST version. The VST version contains the best programs for the machines. The quality is exactly the same and the difference is the gui's and number of machines. The A-820 will be added to the VST soon.

Vando wrote:
The VST version includes my favorite programs from the Neb Pro library, and will have several 820 programs.

Hello Michael,
does this mean that there are more programs in the library version than in the VST version? In other words library includes all the tape programs and VST a best of
collection selected by you. Am I right if I suppose that the quality of the machines is the same and thus the difference between library and VST is basically just GUI and the number of tape machines?
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:24 pm

They are not related to Reaper.
It is responding as it is supposed to. You need to use the same machine on tracks that are related to each other. The delay is built into the program bc it has to be edited by hand to be perfectly accurate to the response of the machine. Everything that is linear in time can be perfectly synched to the zero start of a sample series. Tape is not time-linear, so it takes a customization to make sure that it replays without any phase correlation issues of its own. This is why it works perfectly with itself and requires alignment with itself on other tracks.

yr wrote:I'm not sure the phase (or delay) issues are related to reaper. Here is the "15 NAB hot" phase response in the vst analyzer:
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:33 pm

For All R2R Customers:

HISStory is now updated to include the STU A-820 hiss/noise floor.

HISStory is a loopable collection of .wav files that can be placed on their own track and looped at a low volume while also using the corresponding machine.

People have often wanted to add this extra layer of authenticity to tape in the mixes, by including the hiss that comes with the machine, and that is what HISStory allows for. Now, it includes the STU A-820!

R2R Customers, email us for your HISStory download at mangelarts at aol dot com.
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby yr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 pm

david1103 wrote:

Could you say what settings were used in the analyzer to get your image? I have not seen vst analyzer display exactly like that.

How would you read the results, and do you have any other program pictures to compare it to? cheers!

In the analyzer, click on the graph page and press P (or Domain/Phase (wrapped). Here is the NAG15:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?wql1hd6mhf1dxw5

You can expect more extreme phase shifts with Tape presets compared to say preamps/EQ etc + there used to be a bug in NAT that created phase issues when deconvolving offline (in some cases), but I don't know if it's related in this case.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby david1103 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks yr, interesting, will have to see what Michael says...
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby cdsoundmaster » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi David,
it is the same thing as mentioned previously. When adjusted and edited custom, you have to be sure that it is in phase with itself. It is possible for wow, flutter, wobble, and stretch to offset a series of tones to where they become inaccurate with themselves. This would be an issue but it is not. But, bc it is done this specialized way it must be used with itself, where other kinds of time linear programs can be synched to start in synch regardless of the programs. Tape is the hardest thing to sample which is why it was previously not possible. This process that I do gives it the exact sound of the machine without losing accuracy with itself, but it means synching a group of inter-related tracks with the same setting so they are not time-delayed. For simplicity, it is possible to send all tracks that need to synch to a group to a single buss and voila.
david1103 wrote:Thanks yr, interesting, will have to see what Michael says...
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby vicnestE » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:23 am

I like the STU A-820. Some programs have relatively very flat curves.

Since the kernel length is longer than 50ms, if I'm going to render with timed mode for 1st and even harmonics. Will using full kernel length be better or just using 50ms as limitation?
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby cdsoundmaster » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:45 am

Hi vicnestE,

I am glad to hear that you like the STU A-820 :).

If you are going to do timed, I would recommend using the full kernel length.

vicnestE wrote:I like the STU A-820. Some programs have relatively very flat curves.

Since the kernel length is longer than 50ms, if I'm going to render with timed mode for 1st and even harmonics. Will using full kernel length be better or just using 50ms as limitation?
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries