Login

Cdsoundmaster - STU A-820

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Cdsoundmaster - STU A-820

Postby richie43 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:25 am

jrasia wrote:Trying to troubleshoot this with Michael, but is anyone noticing phase/delay issues using the 15ips programs? Seems most noticeable with the CCIR programs.
Test by running the same 15ips library on a few individual tracks, preferable something with noticeable transients such and drums.
Master and stereo bus works great, as are the 30 and 7.5 programs. Only noticing it on the 15ips when on various mono tracks.

Reaper 4, 96k.

Weird. I helped test this one for Michael, and I had zero problems. Hmmm.....
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby cpwade » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:59 am

Michael popped this over to me tonight. Used it right away on a light pre-master with Fenix and Fear. Love it.
cpwade

Postby beingmf3 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:46 pm

jrasia wrote:Trying to troubleshoot this with Michael, but is anyone noticing phase/delay issues using the 15ips programs? Seems most noticeable with the CCIR programs.
Test by running the same 15ips library on a few individual tracks, preferable something with noticeable transients such as drums.
Master and stereo bus works great, as are the 30 and 7.5 programs. Only noticing it on the 15ips when on various mono tracks.

Reaper 4, 96k.

Yes, right – just tried and compared the different speed versions. 15 is weird somehow (like the TEAC in the original library. Well, maybe not that much...)
beingmf3

Postby cdsoundmaster » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi there,
There has never been anything wrong with the TEAC.

I've been working through Jrasia's issue with him on the 15 IPS's from the A-820 and it is not a phase behavior- his issue results in the sound of an actual delay. There does not appear to be anything wrong with these programs, but we have not been able to find what the original reason was for the delay behavior.

I have gone back through to re-diagnose the programs in 2 channel mastering program, Reaper, and other DAW's, and it sounds correct and renders correctly.

Ininitially, I was able to get a strange delay between two individual tracks in Reaper on 2 stereo tracks, each running its own Neb Pro Reverb instance of 820 15 IPS. I changed from ASIO to DirectSound and rebooted and the issue went away. There will be a delay from a dry track to an 820 track, and there can be very small phase change from any two tape tracks. The nature of the non-linearity is that they have to be created and edited by hand, based on the original response, and the goal is to capture this non-linearity.

First of all, use the 15 and 30 IPS to taste on mix and master, and even buss- there should be zero issues. Use it on tracks and there should never be this delay between two tracks running the same thing. We thought that his issue might be from using 2 separate mono tracks, but I am able to run two and more mono tracks each with its own instance of the same 15 IPS program in Reaper with no trouble.

It is possible that the driver needs more buffer; it is possible that there is something set in MAST different than mine, or RATE CNVT needs to be all the way up, or there may be an update in Neb Pro Reverb that acts differently with different audio interfaces- I can't say that for sure. I would recommend that if anyone has an actual delay between 2 separate tracks each with an instance on fx, then use the A800 for tracks and the 820 for mixdown and mastering, which is the main idea.

I'm sorry for the strange issue Jrasia, and I still recommend trying to increase your buffers under directsound or WDM and see if this has any affect on the strange behavior. After my very first experience of the delay I have not been able to replicate it, but if I find a way to recreate it again I will definitely post an update.
God Bless You, and I hope you can enjoy it on other parts of your mixes.

beingmf3 wrote:
Test by running the same 15ips library on a few individual tracks, preferable something with noticeable transients such as drums.

Reaper 4, 96k.

Yes, right – just tried and compared the different speed versions. 15 is weird somehow (like the TEAC in the original library. Well, maybe not that much...)
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby cdsoundmaster » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Hi Vando,
If you purchase R2R for Neb Pro now, it is automatically included.
I am finishing testing the final inclusion for the stand alone plug-in suite and it will be added there for free as soon as it is ready, which will be soon.
The VST version includes my favorite programs from the Neb Pro library, and will have several 820 programs.
Vando wrote:If I buy R2R now is STU A-820 included? Are there the same tape machines in the Nebula version and the CDS Audio plug-in?
cdsoundmaster
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby jrasia » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:52 am

cdsoundmaster wrote:Hi there,

I've been working through Jrasia's issue with him on the 15 IPS's from the A-820 and it is not a phase behavior- his issue results in the sound of an actual delay. There does not appear to be anything wrong with these programs, but we have not been able to find what the original reason was for the delay behavior.

First off, as many of you already know, Michael has been absolutely amazing on his response to the issue I'm having. I must also mention, it seems like I'm one of the few, if only user having an issue at this point. Its not a question of disliking the tonal aspect of the library. In fact, it will likely grow to be one of my favs.
My issue has been purely technical.

I noticed when I inserted 1 instance of the 15ips programs on a group of tracks(say only the kick drum), I would experience a very strange delay/phase issue with the rest of my drum tracks. I tried every trick in the book including removing, flushing, reinstalling, panning, buffers, you name it. I still technically cannot use the program with only a few tracks, which leads me to the solution.

Insert the same instance on all tracks.

Once I added the instance too all my drum tracks, phase issues disappeared. Very odd, but it works.
I can't say I have other libraries that react this way, but so long as it works I suppose.

Cheers
jrasia
User Level II
User Level II

Postby cpwade » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:42 am

I'm an artist, been around too. That said I'm no expert at sound design but this thing sounds sick on the 2 buss.
cpwade

Postby enriquesilveti » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 am

First off, as many of you already know, Michael has been absolutely amazing on his response to the issue I'm having. I must also mention, it seems like I'm one of the few, if only user having an issue at this point. Its not a question of disliking the tonal aspect of the library. In fact, it will likely grow to be one of my favs. My issue has been purely technical.

I noticed when I inserted 1 instance of the 15ips programs on a group of tracks(say only the kick drum), I would experience a very strange delay/phase issue with the rest of my drum tracks. I tried every trick in the book including removing, flushing, reinstalling, panning, buffers, you name it. I still technically cannot use the program with only a few tracks, which leads me to the solution.

Insert the same instance on all tracks.

Once I added the instance too all my drum tracks, phase issues disappeared. Very odd, but it works.
I can't say I have other libraries that react this way, but so long as it works I suppose.

Hello jrasia. We have close relationship with Reaper developers. Send me an explanation of your issue and I send to Reaper support. http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... &Itemid=95
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Vando » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:58 am

The VST version includes my favorite programs from the Neb Pro library, and will have several 820 programs.

Hello Michael,
does this mean that there are more programs in the library version than in the VST version? In other words library includes all the tape programs and VST a best of
collection selected by you. Am I right if I suppose that the quality of the machines is the same and thus the difference between library and VST is basically just GUI and the number of tape machines?
Vando
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby yr » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm not sure the phase (or delay) issues are related to reaper. Here is the "15 NAB hot" phase response in the vst analyzer:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?7trc7cwk40dmqhc
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries