Login

what pre-amp would u recommend?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

what pre-amp would u recommend?

Postby enigma2win » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:59 am

Hey everyone,

Have one more question for all of you :)
I've been researching the forum, and cant seem to find a lot of information regarding a good pre-amp for softsynths like Sylenth for example.

What would you recommend?
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 am

Re: what pre-amp would u recommend?

Postby botus99 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:08 am

anything :lol:

Your question's too broad to get the answer you're probably looking for IMO.

Thicker sound? Get a thick sounding preamp
Detailed sound? Get a...

You see where I'm going with this. My best suggestion: get a demo of some preamps from anyone with demos out there, compare, narrow your choices, and buy :mrgreen:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
User avatar
botus99
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:59 pm

Re: what pre-amp would u recommend?

Postby RJHollins » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:31 am

enigma2win wrote:Hey everyone,

Have one more question for all of you :)
I've been researching the forum, and cant seem to find a lot of information regarding a good pre-amp for softsynths like Sylenth for example.

What would you recommend?


AlexB has the Preamp Color Suite [PCS].
Plenty of 'flavors'. Outstanding quality.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: what pre-amp would u recommend?

Postby enigma2win » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:37 am

I have the PCS bundle..
But im not sure im getting the most out of it because I am still confused with the whole -18RMS thing...
I've asked about it on the consoles topic, but is it possible for someone to explain it a bit better in a practical way?
I just want to know if the input should be -18RMS for any instrument, or what ?
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 am

Re: what pre-amp would u recommend?

Postby Barendse » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:50 am

enigma2win wrote:just want to know if the input should be -18RMS for any instrument, or what ?


Yes. Watch your input level at the left, make sure it hits -18. Grab the VUMT plugin from Klanghelm when you're in doubt about the level.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 pm

Re: what pre-amp would u recommend?

Postby enigma2win » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:12 am

Barendse wrote:
enigma2win wrote:just want to know if the input should be -18RMS for any instrument, or what ?


Yes. Watch your input level at the left, make sure it hits -18. Grab the VUMT plugin from Klanghelm when you're in doubt about the level.



When u say the left, do u mean the Mid/Side or Left/Right setting on Klanghelm?
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 am

Re: what pre-amp would u recommend?

Postby RJHollins » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:56 am

enigma2win wrote:
Barendse wrote:
enigma2win wrote:just want to know if the input should be -18RMS for any instrument, or what ?


Yes. Watch your input level at the left, make sure it hits -18. Grab the VUMT plugin from Klanghelm when you're in doubt about the level.



When u say the left, do u mean the Mid/Side or Left/Right setting on Klanghelm?


Left/Right.

Just to help. Remember ... you have 2 level scales to be aware of. To start off:

Look to hit your 'PEAK' meters [most likely on your DAW] to top peak at around -6 dBFS. This particular meter is VERY important, as it shows you the 'Head Room' you have available.

Your RMS meter is a different reference. It VERY much depends on the 'Source' audio. For example ... a Snare Drum and a Rhoades piano BOTH hitting PEAKs at -6 dBFS, will have VERY different RMS levels. More than likely, the Rhodes piano will easily hit -18dB [RMS] much easier than the Snare drum [which has a lot more 'transient [Peak] signal , compared to the Rhodes.

These are generalizations.

Also keep in mind, all these levels should be used with a minimum 24 bit depth.

Throughout your recording AND mixing process ... keeping your PEAK levels to top out at -6 dB will give you plenty of head room.

When 'Mastering time' comes ... you'll have headroom for any final eq/ compression wanted.

When it finally is 'Dithered' down to 16 bit CD format ... THIS is when you go for using up your headroom. Leave at least a -0.1 or -0.2 at the top so that any cheap players won't complain [no clipping lights].

Hope these general guidelines help.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert
 
Posts: 2633
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:53 pm


Return to 3rd party libraries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests