Login

Best Henry Olonga libraries?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Best Henry Olonga libraries?

Postby david1103 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:50 pm

thanks for your help, i have bought the girthy and g20 master buses and look forward to checking them out!

i got my paypal reciept, but no download link yet? i didn't set-up an account, i assume i am waiting for the link to appear in my inbox...

UPDATE: Got em!
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Barendse » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:55 pm

david1103 wrote:thanks for your help, i have bought the girthy and g20 master buses and look forward to checking them out!

i got my paypal reciept, but no download link yet? i didn't set-up an account, i assume i am waiting for the link to appear in my inbox...

UPDATE: Got em!

Would like to hear your findings. To my ears these sound very different from cds/alex b/stn and others. Is this because they were sampled at 192? I don't know. I try them and I always skip them after some time.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby david1103 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Hi Barendse, I spent some time listening but have not come to any conclusions yet. The girthy seems to be able to add a nice distortion to the transients of sampled snare drums making them sound more 'dirty/real' alive and analog.

I made screen dumps of all the EQ curves, and here they are for those interested:

http://www.learndigitalaudio.com/blog/w ... nshots.zip

I only listened at 44.1 so far, that is what i mostly use. My experience is that programs down sampled by nebula don't sound so good, but these are down sampled off-line by SoX I think.

Do you think they lack fidelity? The main difference is they are sampled as pre-amps rather than EQ's. This means their kernel length is shorter than usual for EQ's, maybe this makes for a different sound. Also they can overload into nasty noises and not take bass transients as well as EQ's, BUT being preamps they should have a better sound... or should they?

What i would love to do, but dread the time it would take, is to develop a systematic repeatable method of testing nebula programs with the same audio and share the results. Each program is so different, different converters, different ways of capturing it, different settings. I think sampling must be an art form, just sticking great gear in front of NAT is not going to mean a great program. I don't know the ins and outs of how NAT works, but auditioning each program properly is a full time job :)

As i was saying, no conclusion yet, i really should stop geeking out so much over Nebula! It is just too exciting for me to to finally be able to send a bit of audio through a VST and have something better and different sounding come out the other side!

Again i did a reality check of nebula vs a normal VST EQ... how can anyone not be using Nebula? they must be deaf :D Its like one is alive and the other is dead, people are killing music with their crappy EQ's :roll:

Would love to hear what people think of the preamp sampling vs regular EQ sampling for EQ presets, also the 192 down-sampling. Lets 'join ears'!
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby tunca » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:31 pm

"Model 1 Out" is really good!
tunca
User Level X
User Level X

Postby davidgary73 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Anyone bought Vintage You47? I was thinking of getting it. Just need some advise and how you use it.

Cheers
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram •
Logic Pro X 10.2.4 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta 3 • Green 3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • Nebula3 Server Ultimate •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73

Postby Barendse » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:30 pm

@david1103: it think it's the sound of src that bothers me. It's definitely there.
Barendse
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:03 pm

The main reason I suggested to avoid the 192kHz only presets is that you are asking which few of the MANY presets available to choose, and I like ALL of them....it is the simplest way to narrow down your choices. I personally do not like the fidelity of down-sampling that much, and I do not work in 192kHz, yet. Some people do not hear a difference or loss in quality, and if it works for them, then that's awesome. I feel like I have plenty of tools and Nebula libraries (an embarrassingly HUGE number...) to choose from for ANY need that I do not need to wonder what I might be losing from such drastic down-sampling. But that is my work-flow decisions and am not expecting it to work for everyone. But the OP did ask for advice about how to choose between all of the libraries that Henry has offered so far, and eliminating the 192kHz only presets is a quick way to slim down the shopping choices. Good luck and happy music-ing!!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby david1103 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:36 pm

richie43 wrote:The main reason I suggested to avoid the 192kHz only presets is that you are asking which few of the MANY presets available to choose, and I like ALL of them....it is the simplest way to narrow down your choices. I personally do not like the fidelity of down-sampling that much, and I do not work in 192kHz, yet. Some people do not hear a difference or loss in quality, and if it works for them, then that's awesome. I feel like I have plenty of tools and Nebula libraries (an embarrassingly HUGE number...) to choose from for ANY need that I do not need to wonder what I might be losing from such drastic down-sampling. But that is my work-flow decisions and am not expecting it to work for everyone. But the OP did ask for advice about how to choose between all of the libraries that Henry has offered so far, and eliminating the 192kHz only presets is a quick way to slim down the shopping choices. Good luck and happy music-ing!!

But Henry previously stated that they are all sampled at 192k and THEN downsampled via SoX to 96k and 44.1k, so none of the libraries are native 96 or 44.1... SoX is much better than Nebula's SRC, but I think Barendse is saying he hears it.
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby beingmf3 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:01 pm

davidgary73 wrote:Anyone bought Vintage You47? I was thinking of getting it. Just need some advise and how you use it.

Cheers

OMG!!! I just bought it, plus M-149, the (hopefully good) recreation of my favourite microphone ever. Will be able to share experiences on sunday! Thanks for the heads-up – I didn't know about it until a few minutes ago!
Last edited by beingmf3 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
beingmf3

Postby marcpl » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:45 am

thanks for all of the input.
for this batch i decided on:
The Console strip – Punchy Kick 192 khz
The Console Strip – Vocality 192 khz
The Console Strip – Snareator 192 khz
The Console Strip – Electric Guitar 192 khz
NV Piano 192 khz Only
Vintage You47 Microphone for Nebula 192 khz
G-20 Acoustica 192 khz
G-20 Vocality 192 khz
The Console Strip – Covering Basses 192 khz
The Console strip – Get on the Bus – Drums 192 khz

i can't wait to play with these and i'll probably pick up another 10 next week. the 33% off for 10 libraries is too good to pass up.

henry should really start selling hard drives though...i'm going to run out of space soon at this rate.

thanks for the recommendations and keep 'em comin.

thanks,
marco
marcpl
User Level X
User Level X

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries