Login

Guitar amp sims soon with Nebula ?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Guitar amp sims soon with Nebula ?

Postby ce1909 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:56 pm

I haven't touched AT3 or GR5 in ages since I got S-Gear a few years ago.

Try the demo's to see which is better suited for your style or material.
i7 5820k, 32GB RAM, Win7 x64
ce1909
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Martinez » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:59 pm

I'd like to see more amps cranked in room as opposed to up close.
I've got a couple of Ownhammer with a room miking but they don't sound very good.
I think to do it properly you have don some cans and sweep the area with a mic while you play through the amp.

I'd definitely like to hear some more cranked power amp sections though the cabs as opposed to just clean power amps though a cab.
Martinez

Postby richie43 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:23 am

Martinez wrote:I'd like to see more amps cranked in room as opposed to up close.
I've got a couple of Ownhammer with a room miking but they don't sound very good.
I think to do it properly you have don some cans and sweep the area with a mic while you play through the amp.

I'd definitely like to hear some more cranked power amp sections though the cabs as opposed to just clean power amps though a cab.

I have all of the OwnHammer cab sims, and I LOVE the room mics, you just have to blend them with another (or 2 or 3) 'close-mics" too. When I mic real cabs I always use 4 or 5 for variety and mixing options, I almost never use the room mics by themselves unless I am going for a special effects type of sound. By themselves, most room mics on a cab don't "sound good" in my opinion. Kevin (main dev at OwnHammer) is an expert with guitars and amp stuff (I've heard some of his tracking too, he's a guitar-engineer God), I have a feeling he knows how to sample guitar amp-cabs.....lol.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Martinez » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:31 am

Hi richie43, I am not talking about room miking as such but more distance miking.
If you've ever miked a guitar sound at the right distance rather than up too close or too far away, that's what I'm talking about.

Miking up close captures to much of the fizz of the amp. Miking to far away sounds indistinct. I'm talking about capturing the amp the way someone hears the sound in a room.

You could put the guitar amp in a room after the fact, but it's not the same.
Martinez

Postby richie43 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:49 am

Martinez wrote:Hi richie43, I am not talking about room miking as such but more distance miking.
If you've ever miked a guitar sound at the right distance rather than up too close or too far away, that's what I'm talking about.

Miking up close captures to much of the fizz of the amp. Miking to far away sounds indistinct. I'm talking about capturing the amp the way someone hears the sound in a room.

You could put the guitar amp in a room after the fact, but it's not the same.

I hear ya. I wasn't saying you were wrong, by the way. I was merely adding to the conversation. I work with alot of guitar tracks, and I agree with you about "getting it right". I was just saying that I do use the distance or room cab sims from OwnHammer very successfully when blended with closer mic positions. I have my best luck with similar combinations with real cabs and mics too, in fact. In my experience, there is no "right distance" if you are using only one mic. I have never liked and one mic set-up, including a well-placed distance mic. Even having a mic "capturing the amp the way someone hears the sound in a room", as you said, would realistically require multiple mics to get the full sound since sound-waves disperse in so many ways in a real space. That's why the OwnHammer "indistinct" room sounds are so awesome mixed with closer and mid-distance mics, just like a real amp.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries