Login

Guitar amp sims soon with Nebula ?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Guitar amp sims soon with Nebula ?

Postby jimiyves » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:39 am

Scuffham is a very good amp sim, but I think that someone could do something better with Nebula.
jimiyves
User Level III
User Level III

Postby jimiyves » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:49 pm

I bought The Vox AC 30 by Henry Olonga (3 £ = 3,62 € !!!), and it is different from the algorithmic software.

It sounds very good, the highs are very sweet, and the mediums are the part where the sound is the most different. It is very natural, as a real good amp.

I will buy the Fender amp, I hope it will be as good as the Vox.

What a shame that Nebula can't do distortion. It would be fantastic to have a Soldano SLO, a Mesa Dual Rectifier, a Marshall Plexi, a Bogner XTC, a CAA OD 100, ... with the same quality.
jimiyves
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Formbank » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:25 pm

I bought the Olonga 'Big Amp'. I'm very impressed with the 30cm_warm and 5cm_warm presets. I've owned an AC30, so I have a good idea about it's sound. (the other presets are a tad bright for me)

I found it quite revealing how much it added to the distortion sound I use pretty much for everything and made me think that maybe the amp / cab part of the chain is perhaps more important than the overdrive section ?

Yes, it would be great to 'nebularise' famous distortion pedals and the like, but if it can't be done, maybe a concentration on the power amps / cabs may still yield great results ?
Formbank
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby jimiyves » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:52 pm

I bought the Olonga 'Big Amp'. I'm very impressed with the 30cm_warm and 5cm_warm presets. I've owned an AC30, so I have a good idea about it's sound. (the other presets are a tad bright for me)

That's good, I have never played a AC30, so I didn't know if the 'Big Amp' had the "Vox" sound.

I have to buy the Fender, I know better the "Fender" sound.

Do you have a Dumble, Henry ? :lol:
jimiyves
User Level III
User Level III

Postby richie43 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:00 pm

jimiyves wrote:Do you have a Dumble, Henry ? :lol:

....or maybe a Savage Audio amp.....?
http://www.savageamps.com/
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Henry Olonga » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:27 pm

Guys I have just uploaded some updates and the Amp specific updates are included.

http://www.nebulapresets.com/?product=henry-olonga-all-products-program-updates
These see the addition of the G-drive which lets you really nail the sweet spot of the amp. This will deal with the overly bright character of the smaller amps by allowing you to access the 'Hotter',warmer kernels. It is a must if you want to get even more realism.

The Big Vox can take alot of abuse on the cleaner presets and you can really drive it. How about taking everything to 11? Try forcing the input to 6/ G-drive to 30 dbs/ and the drive to full and see how it handles it.
:D
I have also added a few more smallish amps in the shop including a tasty acoustic guitar amp which works well to give a sense of space/ a live feel to acoustics recorded through the pickups.

High end Amps coming in a few days. They are not easy to source now that I have left London.
:cry:
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby jimiyves » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:55 am

Thank you Henry, very good news !
jimiyves
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Formbank » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:53 pm

Henry, the G-drive is an enhancement to the AC30 amp to these ears, indeed. I need to play with it some more, but I think this is quite an unique library.

However, the Phender small amp I recently purchased is very bright(even with the G-drive control), or is it more fair to say that there is very little lower frequency stuff going on there ?. I'm using these amps with distorted sounds primarily. Any thoughts ?

The price is fantastically reasonable, but I thought I'd comment on my observation nonetheless. I'm interested in the small Vox amp - is that very bright too ?
Formbank
User Level VII
User Level VII

Postby Henry Olonga » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi Formbank,
These are bright no doubt but the G-drive does allow you to access those slightly warmer tones which you can then sculpt with your tools such as EQ or use the Buzzard with the filters, or one of my Ribbon mics. The great thing about Nebula engineering is you can make things fit by matching pieces that work together in a symbiotic way. The Roiher ribbon mics work amazing well at getting you to have a beautiful mid range with these amps so that is my recommendation. Place it after the amps and I think you will be happier. I will soon be releasing a vintage RCA type 44 and 77 as well which are also great for this. Also remember that they are part of a series to give you different flavours of amps. I know you know this so forgive me for stating the obvious but sometimes you want an amp to cut through clearly, other times you may want it warm or dullish. Generally - the bigger the amp the more full range right? If you saw how small they were you would not be surpirsed at how bright they were - they cannot do low notes well ;) . Also the room was fairly bright as well - thee amps were arecorded in three different locations over time. The Vox was done in a booth but they were done in a stark treated room. No one amp works in every case for every mix setup.
This Saturday I will be paying a visit to a London studio to hire some exceptional amp combos and perhaps some power sections as well.
I would hope that in time you would be happy with the different tones available to you because I want to cover a few from Bass amps through, warm amps through to tiny bright, shrill, piercing amps. A flavour for every season ey? :D
The Small Vox is bright as well oh yes. Sigh :roll:
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby Formbank » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Henry,
I used to have a Fender Champ and while it was indeed 'bass-light', I seemed to remember the sound was more balanced (less shrill ?).

I look forward to your new amps, I only posted my observation as I feel that Nebula really is the way forward for guitar amps/cabs and any suggestions might be helpful all round.
Formbank
User Level VII
User Level VII

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries