Login

question about AlexB consoles

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

question about AlexB consoles

Postby enigma2win » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:52 am

Hey there everyone, I failed to find anything on the forum mentioning where to place the PAN LAW nebula preset for these consoles..

Ive read some ppl place it in every channel and bus as last plugin and other only on busses... Say I place it on every channel on bus as last plugin (after the console) do I also place it on the mixbus after console as well?
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III

Re: question about AlexB consoles

Postby botus99 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:13 am

First off, good question. I haven't put much thought into it, but it does make sense to put the panner at the end of the chain for each channel and each buss.

But I have never seen a master fader with a pan knob on it. In my opinion, there would be no pan knob on the master fader
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby Definity » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:20 am

Good question. I have recently been thinking about how different panners affect different songs. Is there a diffrence between the Alex B 4.5 panner and the VLZ panner? what is it diffrent? what makes it different towards the other panners ?
Definity

Postby botus99 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:15 am

I'm not sure about the difference between those 2 particular ones, but I would guess they are different pan laws. If not, the phase response, frequency response, etc. will be different regardless.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby fuseburn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Keep in mind though that the Panners which come bundled with the consoles are not actual programs of the consoles pan knob. It's rather a sample of a totally unrelated analog panning device which Alex built himself and which has the same pan law as the actual console had. So there's either -4,5 or -3, but the panner bundled with the A*I is identical to the panner in the Rupert N**e console.
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby musicgreator » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Someone told me, that it's mainly about the pan law and that the pan programs wouldn't really improve the sound. So he always sets his DAW to the desired pan law.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby gurth » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:59 pm

Someone told me that it is better to not even use your faders in a daw. Use as much nebula as possible!
gurth
User Level X
User Level X

Postby richie43 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:25 am

gurth wrote:Someone told me that it is better to not even use your faders in a daw. Use as much nebula as possible!

I don't see why anyone would tell you that. It you are used to working with a specific pan law, or even use different specific pan laws for certain things, I would think that you would be better off using the pan controls inside the DAW, for transparent functionality. I suppose if you have truly unlimited resources in your rig, unlimited time, and are really THAT hung up on the whole analog emulation, then maybe it makes sense to me. When I started my Nebula experience, I indeed was that hung up on accuracy to the point that I was losing momentum too often and less music was made. Add to that i wasn't listening as much as thinking about presets. I still use a TON of Nebula, but I have weeded out what I considered the inconsequential uses, and panners were probably first on the list!! Just my opinion though, for the record. Cheers!!
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby gurth » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:13 pm

In the consoles consoles cobsoles topic alex b writes about it (page 5 or 6 if I remember correct). food for thought if you ask me....

Not using the faders on my dawmixer is going too far for me I think, but using the nebula panner is really not an issue, but maybe my daws mixer has a very bad panner!

After reading the pirates topic I feel bad about quoting anyone, sorry for that!;
gurth
User Level X
User Level X

Postby enigma2win » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:14 pm

So, one last question for all you nebulaholics:

When mixing with these consoles, whats the best way to mix?

Ill give u an example of a mixing situation:

1 bassline
1 synth
1 kick

a) should I mix their volumes by using nebula input control and not exceeding -18RMS in either track? What I mean is lets say id put kick at -!8RMS, bassline at -19RMS and synth at -21RMS

OR

b) Put everything at 18RMS with nebula input control and use DAW volume mixer to set volume of each track?
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries