Login

Pirates !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Pirates !

Postby mpodrug » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:16 am

richie43 wrote:
SWAN wrote:I seriously doubt any legitimate Nebula users will download pirate libs. It is so disrespectful to the ethos of Nebula community.

While I like to be optimistic, I do think that there will always be "legitimate" users who still download the pirated wares. I think that Nebula software will not suffer as much as standard algo plugs since the upload and download sizes are typically larger for Nebula. What would worry me even more is if the Nebula software itself gets cracked, then there will likely be a bigger surge of pirated libraries..... :(

Sadly, the software itself is already cracked. I'm not gonna lie, long time ago i was also a warez user. Then i found nebula, since then i decided to go clean. It's not only its great sound, nebula also thought me to learn what i use, and depend on my ears. I found nebula to have a very nice community as well where users and devs are truly helping each other.
So it saddens me when i saw that it got pirated. This thread made me visit those sites i used to know, just to check it out. It felt weird though, seeing all the people who collect and collect, just what i used to do.

The only thing we as users can do is, keep buying from the devs, and don't get tempted, to steal them! Don't hear the bullshit like 'demo before buy'.

For the devs, especially AlexB, i can feel your pain, and hope that the discouragement gets over soon. We still need your wonderful works.
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby davidgary73 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Just a suggestion, can all developers start using AITB authorization method or some other methods to curb piracy for future products?

These pirates even pirate stuff that cost only 3 pounds which is really heartless & appalling.

I know that there's much hassle when it comes to protection schemes but..we as Nebula users can learn and get use to that kind of AITB security method rather than having to see our developers work get pirated and to assure that future products will not be able to be pirated.

Also, maybe the Admin here can make certain subforum only exclusive to Nebula Pro users just like how Slate digital forum is. Only when one purchase Nebula Pro, they are allowed to see the subforum etc. This is also good in a way to keep these pirates from getting information.
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram •
Logic Pro X 10.2.4 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta 3 • Green 3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • Nebula3 Server Ultimate •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73

Postby SpliffSplaff » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:25 pm

davidgary73 wrote:Just a suggestion, can all developers start using AITB authorization method or some other methods to curb piracy for future products?

..we as Nebula users can learn and get use to that kind of AITB security method...

+1

In fact that AITB registration process took me about 3 minutes (granted had to try two times but who cares...peeps at AITB were very helpful).
SpliffSplaff
User Level III
User Level III

Postby koda » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:21 pm

What are the difficulties, from a library developer standpoint, in implementing the challange/response protection method of Nebula and AITB?
Why this behaviour is not the default with the libraries?
For the user is a one-time istant procedure so it would bring no burden at all.
koda
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby SWAN » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:48 pm

I think users of cracked Nebula Pro downloading pirate libraries - may not count as a lost sale. THey might never have paid any money anyway.

I agree there should be benefits to having an official license like forum usage etc.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby vicnestE » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:06 pm

The authorization is related to hard drive.
So when you change your main hard drive for any cause, you have to wait for the new authorization from the library providers manually. Only AITB has automatic auth installation currently. Acustica audio still uses semi-manual process for authorizations.

There used to be a post about whether developers should use similar protection long time ago.

Before the post, AlexB handled auth code manually. The community favors no protection, so he released all libraries unprotected. It's a great move since people were afraid of no longer being able to use the library when you upgrade your computer if any 3rd party library provider quits or [use your imagination].
And I can use the libraries without any waiting time for manual auth code process. It IS NOT fair to ask every 3rd party library provider to provide automatic auth process.

I was hoping if acustica audio could take care the automatic auth process for 3rd party library providers. But since no one uses auth code protection any more (except AITB with automatic process) and I seldom need official programs in such hurry, the need for such hassle is lowered.

Creating a solid and convenient protection is hard.
Support the 3rd party libraries by buying their great releases.

I like the idea of secret sub forum. Without the knowledge from the contributing community, nebula could be too hard to use and just a waste of hard disk of the leeches. I got the best usage tips from the precious forum.
vicnestE
Expert
Expert

Postby koda » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Understand. I didn't take in account the non-corporate side of the question.
Anyway as someone already said in this topic I wouldn't be that bothered, since library are so cheap that anyone "serious" about music both working with or serious hobbist will be glad to buy original and in this case I'm confident leaked libraries are the greatest advertising at this stage of Nebula/libs life.
If it was more widespread it could have been an harm (but in that case developers already had thousands of sells so realtive harm let's say) but since Nebula still has a very small user base, I'm sure this will boost libs sales instead of ruining them.
Just my opinion. So all you great and talented library devs keep on with your work!
koda
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby botus99 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:50 pm

All I can say right now (that hasn't already been said) is that a portion of my tax return is DEFINITELY going towards some programs 8-)

Merely out of my own weirdness, I want to buy something from each developer because you ALL deserve more money than what you make, and have made my audio endeavors infinitely more pleasurable!
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby jeffbdavis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:57 pm

botus99 wrote:All I can say right now (that hasn't already been said) is that a portion of my tax return is DEFINITELY going towards some programs 8-)

Merely out of my own weirdness, I want to buy something from each developer because you ALL deserve more money than what you make, and have made my audio endeavors infinitely more pleasurable!

That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm just gonna' go on a library shopping spree when I get my tax refund and do my part to support the devs. I'd encourage any of you other folks to do the same... :)
jeffbdavis
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby koda » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:01 pm

Where is the "Like" button mate!? :P
koda
User Level VI
User Level VI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries