Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Pirates !

Postby kylen » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:46 pm

Now we're pushing $100 Acqua plugins into the solution...careful :cry:
kylen

Postby Cupwise » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:49 pm

kylen wrote:Now we're pushing $100 Acqua plugins into the solution...careful :cry:

100$ acqua plugins plus a 50$ ilok along with all the hassle and worries that ilok brings.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:49 pm

Cupwise wrote:slate already had a reputation as becoming a standard in the industry before they went ilok. i don't think nebula has managed that type of reputation yet. i think you have to show that you have easy to use technology that gets great results without hassle, before you can expect to survive a jump to something like ilok.

and yeah, i'd like to release acqua stuff, and yeah i expect the prices would be higher than what i've asked for my stuff in the past. but i would prefer it not have ilok. the glue doesn't. if i were a customer looking between an acqua comp that just hit the scene, had ilok, and cost $100, vs the glue which has been considered great for 5yrs so that it's basically a standard in the industry now, has great support, a dev who has talked with his customers for 5yrs, and which DOESN'T have ilok, which am i going to go for?

i'm not saying there shouldn't be any copy protection at all. i just think ilok is going a bit far. look how many posts are against it in this thread. the posts ok with it mostly seem to be people who already HAVE ilok. and they already have nebula, and must like it or they wouldn't be posting in here. but to be able to keep doing software you need new sales, and not everyone out there who doesn't have nebula, already has ilok. so the best opinions to have on ilok, would be from those people. would THEY be ok with buying ilok to get an acqua plugin which also costs them however much? of course some would but it makes it a tougher sell, for sure.

iLok is not as bad as most people think - in fact I like it now more because its so simple...you buy it once - then its done - and you have access to a load of the best plugins on the market...I have Slate, Kush, Eventide, L*****n and Soundtoys plugins on my system because of it. Why not some Aqua libs also?

Its not all that expensive either - I looked into it. Listen - Im just putting it out there.

No the Glue doesnt have iLok - and its now thoroughly cracked - and I doubt makes much sales.

I dont think The Glue is the best model - really Valhalla is- because his plugins are only $50 and the brand loyalty is second to none. But its a one man operation - something Acustica is not and cannot be...

Slate was only known for his drum samples before - and he went to great lengths doing deals with warez sites before he went iLok - so he always fought the battle - hard.

Im saying - fight the battle. Whether it be iLok or whatever.

Nebula has had PLENTY of time to mature. In fact - unless it shakes things up - its going to be a has been. If you witness the sentiment on KVR regarding Nebula - its already happening. So rather than gaining reputation - its on the decline as algo plugins have improved.

Tim the whole point of Nebula is the sound - and The Glue has a boring clinical sound with no harmonic colour at all. Why is it that Nebula programs should not be worth $99 whereas al algo plugin which has little interesting character can be? BTW the Glue is on the decline due to Slate VBC and IK Bus Comp.

iLok plugins retain value - do Nebula libraries? Im not saying use iLok for normal libs we have now. Im saying Aqua plugins I dont see any reason why you could not have a compressor collection worth $xx which is low latency, and VST AU AAX compatible under iLok.

Sure some users may protest because they dont get a library for $20 any more but you cant please all the cheapskates...Tim - even if youre not going to say it 'I' think in a well packaged plugin - your libs are worth $100.
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby Cupwise » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:10 pm

well, it's acustica's decision. if they decide to go ilok, i might stick around for a while. it'd depend on whether there was money coming in for me, i guess.

i still think ilok is a bad idea. but that's my opinion. i could be wrong. i probably am a lot of times, but who isn't? ultimately it's acustica's call, and it's totally their right to handle it however they want. i don't think there is a perfect solution.

i still think this thread should be moved, at least..
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby deehope » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:15 pm

wierd that Will's suggestion got ignored. Maybe its not practical? But its by far my favorite suggestion in this thread, because you get both a little horse power bump and security. Is it possible? The dongle wouldn't even need to handle much, I'd be happy if it could handle a couple reverbs lol
deehope
User Level X
User Level X

Postby kels » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:40 pm

wierd that Will's suggestion got ignored. Maybe its not practical? But its by far my favorite suggestion in this thread, because you get both a little horse power bump and security. Is it possible? The dongle wouldn't even need to handle much, I'd be happy if it could handle a couple reverbs lol

Yeah, that's strange people are not interested. I'm a long time advocate for this. But I admit it's not feasable at the moment even if Giancarlo is clearly testing some code for ARM architecture which, obviously, would have a key role to play in security too.
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby SWAN » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Cupwise wrote:well, it's acustica's decision. if they decide to go ilok, i might stick around for a while. it'd depend on whether there was money coming in for me, i guess.

i still think ilok is a bad idea. but that's my opinion. i could be wrong. i probably am a lot of times, but who isn't? ultimately it's acustica's call, and it's totally their right to handle it however they want. i don't think there is a perfect solution.

i still think this thread should be moved, at least..

no worries man - Im sort of just making a point but I dont know the best way either...I'd just like to see AA and Nebula technology evolve and maintain and improve its standing in the audio world...and if CP is needed for that - I think we should all support it...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:24 pm

SWAN wrote:no worries man - Im sort of just making a point but I dont know the best way either...I'd just like to see AA and Nebula technology evolve and maintain and improve its standing in the audio world...and if CP is needed for that - I think we should all support it...

I keep posting this on this thread..... there is already CP available for all library devs, and very few are using it yet. I hope that more devs try what is already available before ilok is adopted
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby koda » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:18 pm

Agree. Is what I'm trying to say since 2-3 posts as well :D

Anyway I downloaded CDSM N-TEN-AT-4 (which I own original) from on of those pirate sites and it's missing half the vectors :D
koda
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby SWAN » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:15 am

richie43 wrote: I keep posting this on this thread..... there is already CP available for all library devs, and very few are using it yet. I hope that more devs try what is already available before ilok is adopted

cool - the developers should use the CP :)

ok maybe we should consider having this thread archived - because it gets to the point where it kind of advertises the cracks...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries