Login

Pirates !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Pirates !

Postby fuseburn » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:35 pm

giancarlo wrote:a library cracked in a bad way sounds different. A library with malaware inside stops your songs after a while. Why someone should mess with that?

They'll never notice it's related to copy protection. It just contributes to a bad image for the nebula platform and a lost potential honest customer: Unstable, mediocre sounding - next...

6 years into the nebula platform, lots of libraries bought. 3-4 PC systems later, and EVERY nebula installation sounded different. Some slightly, some not so. On some systems I didn't bother with installing the authorization because all my paid-for libraries opened fine. When nebula stopped working after a few months, I just installed the next update from the website and it was working again. YEARS later I read here this was related to a demo timeout which wasn't communicated in any way.

I can't recall a single project which was done on a previous system on my current one - they open fine but the sound different. Lost forever. And now this seems to make sense.

WHY no clear status informations ? I'd suggest "copy protection error". Or "This library is currently running without authorization - limited sound quality".
fuseburn
User Level X
User Level X

Postby giancarlo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:00 pm

you can't do it. When you say "this copy protection is working now" you are helping crackers. I think they sound different cause little improvements and bug fixes. If you bought libraries there is no reason why they should not work or sound differently, apart bug fixes. For example the library before was not converting to a particular sample rate and so on. Other tip, if you configured nebula in a different way you'll get a different result. It's something we'll try to fix in nebula4, saving the nebula xml configuration too.
About the trial mode I think it was an error created by the manual key generation. It impacted a small userbase, not everyone.
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby mightymosaic » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:44 am

The first and most simple step in this process is to cut off ALL support to the Pirates. Meaning unless you have a paid nebula license You cant access these boards. Just a thought.
mightymosaic

Postby RJHollins » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:01 am

hmmm ... but what happens to those that want to learn about NEBULA via the forum discussion ... to see if it is the way they'd like to go ?
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:05 am

RJHollins wrote:hmmm ... but what happens to those that want to learn about NEBULA via the forum discussion ... to see if it is the way they'd like to go ?

I agree with RJ. I understand the concept that mightymosaic is saying, but people need access to the info regardless of whether or not they have paid.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby mightymosaic » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:34 am

I get what both of you are entailing, There could be a Basic Get to know nebula section with all the logical things people need to know about the technology, We could also provide Sound samples in that section, Newest library updates etc etc

As for the in depth stuff like proper setup and how to utilize your libraries and how to use TIMED mode, How to get this version to work with that type of OS Etc Etc Should Strictly be Private. Cause only people who have bought Nebula would need to know this. And to get my point across even further, I would have NO idea what i was doing if i didn't spend countless hours on the forums getting my workflow and knowledge together so i can utilize it properly. The Forums are a big plus. I bet if the majority of the pirates couldn't reach the forum they would end up buying a license just to do so. Knowledge is Power and that's exactly what these forums are.
mightymosaic

Postby SWANG » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:07 am

^for what it's worth, i think this is a great idea.
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:30 am

mightymosaic wrote:I get what both of you are entailing, There could be a Basic Get to know nebula section with all the logical things people need to know about the technology, We could also provide Sound samples in that section, Newest library updates etc etc

As for the in depth stuff like proper setup and how to utilize your libraries and how to use TIMED mode, How to get this version to work with that type of OS Etc Etc Should Strictly be Private. Cause only people who have bought Nebula would need to know this. And to get my point across even further, I would have NO idea what i was doing if i didn't spend countless hours on the forums getting my workflow and knowledge together so i can utilize it properly. The Forums are a big plus. I bet if the majority of the pirates couldn't reach the forum they would end up buying a license just to do so. Knowledge is Power and that's exactly what these forums are.

I actually agree with you as far as "protecting" Nebula. But I am also feeling that as soon as you limit information to only those with money, then there is also a very weird precedence set that is not as friendly and inclusive as Acustica seems to want to promote themselves as. Have you read the manisfesto that they are promoting for their "mission statement" of sorts? Up on the top of this page, under "company", go to the "manifest" link. Heck, here it is for an easy one-click access.....
http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php ... Itemid=221

I feel what you are saying, but to make any part of the forum closed to paying customers only doesn't seem to coincide with the "vibe" of their manifest. My opinion, of course.
In the end, Giancarlo, Antonello, and Enrique will decide these things, as I am confident that they know more about what is best for the longevity of the business that they own and operate. I do know that the intense sense of "ownership" that many users feel is a huge plus for Acustica, we seem to be a weird and loyal crowd (reminds me of the Reaper folks, in fact). So your sentiments are based on that intense loyalty, and that is awesome. I just don't agree with the idea of closing off any part of a forum to unpaid people.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby Mauri » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:05 am

Greetings,

Also, closing the forums (fora actually ;)) to all but paid users would exclude, and lose some of the interested potential customers. New customers would really be jumping off the deep end (even deeper!) without having had a good look here first.

I think the way the guys run this place at the moment is very good.

Mauri.
Cubase Pro 8 x64 + jBridge, W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs + 3 SSDs for samples & project files, i7 5930K @ 4.2GHz, ASUS X99 Pro, 32GB RAM, RME HDSPe AIO, 2 x UAD2 Solo, Mackie HR624 MK2, 2 x 24" BenQ LED monitors, Nebula 3 Pro & Server x64.
Mauri
User Level X
User Level X

Postby Cupwise » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:45 am

i kind of think at some point, this thread is really having more of the opposite of its intended effect. i mean, if its practically going to be 'stickied' here at the top, forever, in the 3rd party dev forum, it's basically serving as a big red flag to anyone new to nebula that says 'hey by the way you can get all of this stuff for free!'

i understand the need for talking about this stuff, i just don't think it should discussed above the actual products that are being made for nebula. this thread has been literally above the threads announcing new products, commonly, for however long it's been running. it's getting more attention than some or most of the products that have been released. which to me, is kinda ironic. the thread about piracy is getting more support than the threads about products.

yeah its a problem that needs discussed, but couldn't it be in in a different subforum, out of the way of the product announcements, and maybe even tucked a bit into the corner so that it's not serving as such a big beacon to any newcomers? how long is it necessary to have this reminder here? (i just think maybe it should be moved to 'working with' subforum, is all i'm saying here)

just my 2 cents
Last edited by Cupwise on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries