Login

Pirates !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Pirates !

Postby kylen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:01 am

ok cool, richie it sounds like possibly ser/auth copy protection for all devs could be the answer. I'm in! But that's easy for me to say, I'm not a dev...hopefully it is not too intrusive for devs.
kylen

Postby Tim Petherick » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:35 am

Maybe my original message was not clear , I was not saying Ilok was the only way forward....

If the current protection on offer is what people would like , I'm happy for that although it does mean more work for something I would sell normally very cheap ...I'll have to look into it again. Maybe it would be not as hard to implement to my website for new releases
prices are as cheap as I can make them but prices are just gonna have to go up for new stuff .... My combo programs means that everything takes way more samples than the average nebula library. Plus I'm doing 4 native sample rates!

I will sit this out to see what other solutions we have.
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Martinez » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:44 am

I think the question is this. Is a form of copy protection going to stop piracy?

No.

Pirates will pirate. Decent people will pay for your goods and those are the people who you should be trying to make keep happy.
Martinez

Postby richie43 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:00 am

Martinez wrote:I think the question is this. Is a form of copy protection going to stop piracy?

No.

Pirates will pirate. Decent people will pay for your goods and those are the people who you should be trying to make keep happy.

I agree with this, unless you are advocating not using ANY copy protection to keep users happy. Are you? I think that you are right, pirates will pirate, for sure. In fact, many software hackers aren't even doing it to get use of the software necessarily, it is for ego and a sense of accomplishment. Because of this, some kind of semi-effective nuisance CP is good, but if it is too crazy (like an ilok), then the egomaniacs will try harder. Also, if the cost needs to be raised significantly to pay for expensive CP, then this aspect makes it more attractive to the crack-warez folks. Unfortunately, the only real solution is for people to start behaving more like decent creatures and stop stealing (you know, act with morality and such...). That's a dream, I know.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby SWAN » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:19 am

Martinez wrote:I think the question is this. Is a form of copy protection going to stop piracy?

No.

this is a theory. From what I have heard from developers who sell this stuff - sales go down or disappear when things are released cracked - coincidence?

People will pirate depending on how easy it is. If they see stuff and its very easily and freely available - they are tempted to take it. Some people have a theory of 'line of least resistance' - ie people will take something in the easiest way its presented. The moral aspect of downloading digital material is hazy for many people when they dont understand the direct consequence.

This is why copy protection is worth working with. People need to know that it will be difficult to use pirate libraries - or they may not even work well. There needs to be some hurdles in place - even if they dont always work - the effort needs to be there in order to say 'we will fight you and our work is worth it'.

Then the developers need to make easy shopping, good prices and effective delivery...simple and easy copy protection...and of course - build customer relationship. If all that is in place - who wants to go to some horrible crack site and use annoying links/torrent to download faulty material? If you like the developer who serves you well with nice emails, deals etc - why would you steal from him like that?

Its an effort that need to be understood and dealt with well on all fronts. We as customers need to help the small businesses otherwise they simply wont last.

I have been surprised even when policemen I know have quietly said to me 'damn I paid for that and then it came out on the scene I could have saved some money'...its not so cut and dried that 'pirates' will never buy anything...that is too simplistic...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby SpliffSplaff » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:41 am

The AITB stuff (at least i had to...flex bundle) must be authorized. One of the eqs in that bundle appeared on that site.
SpliffSplaff
User Level III
User Level III

Postby richie43 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:54 am

SpliffSplaff wrote:The AITB stuff (at least i had to...flex bundle) must be authorized. One of the eqs in that bundle appeared on that site.

The AITB library on the warez site was Doc Fear. Before AITB took their hiatus, when we all thought that they were closing down, Doc Fear and maybe one other library did not have copy protection in place. That is why it is the only AITB library available on those sites. None of the libraries that have copy protection have appeared on any of the sites I have been monitoring. Henry, Alex, Tim Petheric, Gemini, CDSM.... and some of those devs have started using copy protection, but those libraries have not yet been cracked.

Edit:
I stand corrected, and that's bad.... :(
The older libraries that did not need authorizing were the older ApeQ and the Germanos EQ set. But out of all of the devs that I have personally seen libraries pirated from, AITB is the least by far. I think that piracy will not stop, so I agree with the sentiment that some form of copy protection will slow a person down when trying to crack, so that will invariably lessen the amount to some degree. It broke my heart when I found practically everything Henry had out at the time, all available as a free download. It would be a terrible statement in so many ways if someone as upright and hard-working at positive change in the world as Henry had to quit because of rude and reckless thievery like this.
Last edited by richie43 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby sneaky » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:04 am

People will pirate depending on how easy it is

pirates focus their efforts on cp which is new or initially difficult..rich made this point. its a new challenge so theyre into it
if you ask me henry has a balanced approach & its appropriate. theres a layer of security involved in purchasing the library to start with. cracking a zipped archives not difficult but its difficult enough without being obtrusive. scumbags will have their way
sneaky

Postby giancarlo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:52 am

a library cracked in a bad way sounds different. A library with malaware inside stops your songs after a while. Why someone should mess with that?
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby hwasser » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:44 am

I have seen a lot of pirated "warez" lately. The worst are the ones from Olonga (in a moralic way):

Part of the proceeds of this work support my chosen charity,the Mumvuri Project. This is an orphanage that I am the patron of in my native Zimbabwe in Africa and this website is an integral part of my fundraising for them. - See more at: http://www.nebulapresets.com/?product=h ... uHl7y.dpuf

So for every preset that are being downloaded one child will probably be forced to skip a meal.
hwasser
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries