Login

Pirates !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Pirates !

Postby Cupwise » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:30 am

i dont see how it could be done as nebula programs currently are (watermarking). but even if you could watermark them, what would you do then? you could find which person bought, but you couldn't go after them, or at least it wouldn't likely get you anywhere. and you could refuse to sell to them anymore, somehow (it would be a pain for automated sales systems to have an ignore list, i wouldnt have any clue how to even do it), and the same person could just easily use a different account to buy the next set.

seems kind of pointless to even try to fight it really.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby davidgary73 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 am

I agree with Cupwise.

My team Trimix made some EDM tunes and it was on sale on beatport, junodownloads, iTunes etc and the very next day, it was pirated on the web.

Piracy is the "in" game for them. They will pirate anything they can get their hands on. If you've been to other countries like China etc, you can buy pirated DVD, Blurays movies and audio software for less than 5USD. Even clothes and shoes they pirate..hahahaha.

I also notice almost but not all new product announce on gearslutz get pirated within a few days or so. That's how fast they work.

So the truth is, we can't really fight them pirates and we just continously support software devs.

Cheers
MacPro 2 x 2.4 Ghz 6 Core Intel Xeon • 28GB Ram •
Logic Pro X 10.2.4 • OSX 10.11.6 • VEP 6 •
Magenta 3 • Green 3 • Navy • Pink • Sand • Lime • Nebula3 Server Ultimate •
http://www.purevolume.com/DavidGary
davidgary73

Postby souljah » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:42 am

Henry Olonga libs discounts are maybe little underpriced(i really think this is the only attitude what will win and theres some room to bring prices higher even) but why ALex, csm dont have any attractive discounts?I surely vote with my wallet for Olonga and others who dont take this Nebula project their job but as a contribution and im more than willing to pay them with their reasonable price gladly. People who doesnt make any money with music surely doesn't pay easily this kind on cash. Im not understanding why i have to pay 40€ for one console emu when many dozens of EAR reverbs costs only 14€. Isnt reverb more complex? just my 0.2 cents... just thinking out loud. If nebula is getting audience maybe its time to make profit with quantity selling lower prices?
souljah
User Level II
User Level II

Postby musicgreator » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:34 am

I've seen very attractive discounts from every developer so far! Henry Olonga sells many small libraries instead of huge ones like AlexB, CDsoundmaster, Gemini, Cupwise, Analoginthebox etc. So you can't really compare. And then all of them are super cheap compared to any other software anyway, while they offer the best quality you can get. Those libraries could easily cost twice or three times as much. And as far as i know their income hardly covers the expenses for producing the libraries. This is still a very small community. As far as pirated stuff, it's all fake. Certain companies create fake downloads from product news alerts etc. in order to get new customers for their hosting service, making money with adverticement and other motivations.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Henry Olonga » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:06 am

souljah wrote:Henry Olonga libs discounts are maybe little underpriced(i really think this is the only attitude what will win and theres some room to bring prices higher even) but why ALex, csm dont have any attractive discounts?I surely vote with my wallet for Olonga and others who dont take this Nebula project their job but as a contribution and im more than willing to pay them with their reasonable price gladly. People who doesnt make any money with music surely doesn't pay easily this kind on cash. Im not understanding why i have to pay 40€ for one console emu when many dozens of EAR reverbs costs only 14€. Isnt reverb more complex? just my 0.2 cents... just thinking out loud. If nebula is getting audience maybe its time to make profit with quantity selling lower prices?

For the record, Alex and Michael do offer discounts to former customers via their newsletter. I think you just need to request to be put on them. Don't really want to bring up pricing but as its on the table and is relevant. My pricing is probably just only a little cheaper as my presets are way more limited and I break my samplings up in a modular fashion. My expanding bundles are more indicative of my overall structure.
The attention to detail by other devs is incredible and they deserve to charge a reasonable fee. Either way, Nebula saves you thousands. I buy from them to support the community because they have enriched my work. All of them.
The question we all have to ponder, including music producers who sell,like most of us on this forum is, how do you compete with free? 1 copy in the wild is all it takes. So I do agree with the overall sentiment that pricing may be an issue that requires careful consideration but as mentioned already, those with a sense of entitlement ( a lot of people in our world today sadly ) won't pay anyway no matter how affordable.
Also I suspect that we are dealing with sophisticated syndicates that fund their illicit activities through ads or subs on these websites. Sadly, its a win win for everyone involved on that side of the fence. Pirates make easy money, consumers get free software.
I wonder whether folk who produce music using pirated software cry foul when their music is pirated? This is an idustry wide, worldwide debate that even gets debated in US congress because it affects every producer of digital goods from Authors to film makers to musicians. Heck anything that can be digitised. Our only salvation is doing things differently. Watch Seth Godins videos everyone.There is still hope.

musicgreator - I was just typing my message as you typed yours hence the overlap on similiar points
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby cehas » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:16 pm

I can now see Gemini KultComp and a certain HO product on that same site, AlexB console is hitting 1700+ downloads, AITB equalizer 1500+.

Worrying. I hope this dies out.
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby mpodrug » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:00 pm

maybe it's better we just stop talking about it? Wondering what you guys have to do on those sites, though??
mpodrug
User Level X
User Level X

Postby SpliffSplaff » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:13 pm

Then someone should close this thread.
SpliffSplaff
User Level III
User Level III

Postby botus99 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:30 pm

mpodrug wrote:maybe it's better we just stop talking about it? Wondering what you guys have to do on those sites, though??

HAHA I'm leaning on your side. A lot of people have made some great points and the last thing we need now is to FREAK OUT about this. It happens, it happened, now we as a community will have to deal with it. We all (probably) had a feeling this was going to happen eventually.

It sucks, really sucks, but all I can figure is to remain positive and laugh about this. LOTS of these people will give up on this because of various reasons (summed up in the word: stupidity) but maybe, just maybe, this could be good exposure. They say "Any press is good press." I'm still not sure who "they" are and how this conclusion was reached, but c'mon people: keep your head up and keep making good music :lol:
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby mr.tele » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:30 pm

A lot of these people are "collectors" that spend all their time searching and downloading, rarely actually using what they download. :twisted: Most would never have been customers anyway. Others actually try, and buy what they use. It may even increase product awareness. I think it will be OK in the long run. Almost everything gets cracked, but the software companies manage to survive anyway. What we *can* do is just keep buying from the developers and recommend to our friends.
mr.tele
User Level X
User Level X

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries