Login

Pirates !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Pirates !

Postby Will The Weirdo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:35 am

Ilok 1 was cracked, and it's only a matter of time until Ilok 2 gets cracked.

I suggested the Steinberg protecton because it's yet to be cracked, and has little issue. U-he products have been cracked I believe, so that would waste resources.

With the issues Ilok had I would look elsewhere first, but it is your company and you have to protect you work. FWIW, I will roll with whatever protection scheme is devised. I have my Ilok account, I just hate using it, lol.
System 1 - i7 5820K Win 7 x64, Studio One 3.2, Reaper 5, Live 9.6

System 2 - AMD 1100T Win 7 x64, PT HD2 10.3.7

"In cognitively demanding fields, there are no naturals." - Simon and Chase
Will The Weirdo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby dwagrimm » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:31 am

I will NEVER use an ilok. NEVER. that means automatically I have to go away from nebula if they use ilok? I get my money back from all the developers? when ilok is working so nice why are changing more and more developers there own copy protection from ilok to an alternative (Plugin Alliance, Waves for example)? maybe they want to sell some more stuff? to people like me? nice if ilok is working here for some people and maybe yes, acustica dont need single persons like me in the future. but this would be so sad. every protection is cracked in the past. this is not new. it´s ok to protect the developers stuff but why I have to pay for foolish thieves? sorry for my opinion. no ilok!
dwagrimm
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby myimo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:54 am

So why all the talk about ilok which is expensive for every one involved and also a sales killer for many potential buyers due to Paces arrogance and bad service.

I recently bought AlexB - Modern Flagship Console (Excellent
by the way) It has some kind of copy protection which older Nebula libraries don't have. Has this been cracked? I don't think Alexb would release his work if it could be.
So whats the matter with this latest protection? Probably nothing.
myimo
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby SWANG » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:48 am

i appreciate and sympathize with acustica's dilemma with regard to piracy. the fact that people are just downright ripping off a small-staffed and dedicated company makes me sad and - as a paying customer/supporter - offended.

having said that, i can't risk ilok protection. my system is far too "budget" and pace and its ilok product, it seems, are nightmares to deal with. i probably do need to upgrade my system, but i record and mix music with an old laptop. for now that's the best i can do, but i want to keep trying. i've resisted using dsp cards like uad because in addition to the cost, my old laptop just can't accommodate such a system.

what will a loyal customer like me do once these new systems are executed? are my days as a nebula user numbered? i certainly hope not. my discovery of this amazing product and the third party libraries have changed my music and, by extension, my life.

i will look forward to further discussions and developments on this subject. i have high hopes that giancarlo, enrique, antonello and the rest of the team will take care of us longtime supporters of their revolutionary work.
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby richie43 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:01 am

Worst case scenario for us "no ilok"ers is that we wouldn't be able to buy new libraries after the ilok goes into use. We will always be able to use whatever version of Nebula that exists before ilok, and all of the current libraries will continue to work. I do think that not all of the library devs will be interested, so this whole thing could get weird before it's over. Whatever is decided, I suppose we all need to be supportive and positive.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby jorismak » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:44 am

myimo wrote:I recently bought AlexB - Modern Flagship Console (Excellent
by the way) It has some kind of copy protection which older Nebula libraries don't have. Has this been cracked? I don't think Alexb would release his work if it could be.
So whats the matter with this latest protection? Probably nothing.

Well, since it seems to be the exact same copy protection Nebula uses itself, yes it has been cracked.

For me an iLok would probably be a showstopper. And since I bought Nebula when there was no iLok they had to continue to support it. Nothing stopping them from from making a Nebula 2.x with iLok though and providing users a free upgrade. That way they are legally OK. People who don't want / can use iLok can stay with what they have now (and payed for), users which are OK with iLok can continue to use the newest & greatest.

I would hate to see it though. If Acustica would supply the iLok device it would be OK and I would try it (though I have hard feelings after all the stories). But I don't see Acustica shelling out for iLok devices for all their customers, and I don't see myself accepting that I suddenly have to shelf out for one myself. Those things cost at least 40,- euro's here and that is almost half the price of Nebula itself. Just unthinkable.
jorismak

Postby andiw » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:06 am

As soon as you implement iLok I'm outta here (not that it matters to anyone ...) and it will surely change your userbase.

If it's for the better ... I highly doubt it.
my music: aj-guitar.com
andiw
User Level IX
User Level IX

Postby kels » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:25 am

Acustica, go for ARM my friends. Give us that crazy CPU power that Nebula needs and solve all your piracy problems at the same time for barely 2* the price of an iLok (stackable, so the price can go up)

for sure you know : (but for other users)

http://www.parallella.org/2014/02/05/co ... arallella/

- We should start a poll : iLok vs ARM -
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby jorismak » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:50 pm

kels wrote:- We should start a poll : iLok vs ARM -

Well, I think we should wait what Acustica wants to do, because it's their call. And they will collaborate with the 3rd party library devs. We can only forum-talk about nice ideas, but it's their call. A poll will do nothing I guess.

Technically, I see a bunch of problems from the start for those Parallella boards. You don't know the algorithm Nebula does and if it can be brought to the Epiphany multicore engine of that board. The dual-core ARM 9 main cpu's won't do much, that's less in most modern high-end phones :P. Since for example Cuda now only bigs an improvement in certain very special cases, I don't see the engine being parallized on an embedded para-engine quickly. It would be another engine rewritten from scratch for a new unknown platform. Thats another year of development.. will not happen.

And then you've got the problem of bandwidth. Those nebula libraries can be huge :), with only 1gb of RAM and MicroSD or USB2 to transfer data the engine will not be able to get it's vector data fast enough I'm afraid.

And with all that we're only talking about a single instance of Nebula...

No, Nebula in embedded hardware form I don't see happening quickly, and still would leave us paying users of the current Nebula left in the cold and angry.

The Nebula-hardware project they were having in their minds would consist of 'just a regular i7 style of hardware' with embedded high-quality inputs/outputs I guess :). I see embedded boards having trouble with the combined raw cpu power + bandwidth + storage Nebula needs.

So, just forget the idea of Nebula running on embedded hardware for now.
Acustica have the challenge of thinking about how to protect their software, their 3rd party products and keep their current userbase working... and then be appealing to potential new customers... I wouldn't want to be in their shows..
jorismak

Postby kels » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Well, I think we should wait what Acustica wants to do, because it's their call.

then, let's them decide if they go ARM or not. Reversibility of argument.

You don't know the algorithm Nebula ...

Because you do ? Really, I don't understand this.

So, just forget the idea of Nebula running on embedded hardware for now.

FYI, GianCarlo is on this :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27769&p=63850&hilit=arm#p63850
kels
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries