Login

Pirates !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Pirates !

Postby Will The Weirdo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:15 pm

No Ilok please but what about what Steinburg usees? Their products are almost never cracked and the users are happy with the protection.

Maybe a DSP card like UAD? More processing power and a very secure platform.
System 1 - i7 5820K Win 7 x64, Studio One 3.2, Reaper 5, Live 9.6

System 2 - AMD 1100T Win 7 x64, PT HD2 10.3.7

"In cognitively demanding fields, there are no naturals." - Simon and Chase
Will The Weirdo
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby mtalavera » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:19 pm

richie43 wrote:Yikes...ilok. Is there an "ilok-type" alternative? Given the recent HUGE fiasco that ilok users went through (and some are still going through, MANY months later), I think adopting a Pace ilok with Nebula will be a big dividing line for many people. I think with the big push to make nebula more popular and usable, as well as more protected, using ilok will not be a good thing in my opinion. A dongle-style..? Maybe. But I think that an affiliation with Pace will drive many current users away, as well as any would-be potential users. Maybe start a poll......?

I agree that iLok would be a very divisive move for Acustica. I use an iLok every day and am probably one of the few users who have never had an issue with it, even during the fiasco of last Summer that caused so many people real issues. But even though I myself have never had any real problem with iLok, I know the potential is there for very bad things to happen. And from the developers perspective, iLok is not free at all, and has requirements on the developers side on what they have to do to their product to make it iLok compatible.

I don't think anyone would argue the need to Acustica to protect itself, its product and its investment. I'm assuming this is their full-time job, their carrer, what puts food on the table for them. They are in a tough position to have to defend themselves, yet not alienate any current or potential new users.

If they offered iLok, I for one would take that option since I already have one, but I would not suggest that be the only copy protection mechanism that they consider.

I fully support whatever direction Acustica chooses to go, because I don't want to live in a world that does not have Nebula continuing to be developed and become even more awesome than it already is (hard for me to believe it can be even better since I think it is so fantastic today).
mtalavera

Postby giancarlo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:33 pm

ok we'll do our best, we'll check ilok too
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby zabukowski » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:52 pm

No issues here with iLok so far ...
zabukowski
Expert
Expert

Postby enriquesilveti » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:06 pm

I don't like USB dongle protections or hardware based protections.

Anyway if customers prefer to pay 5 euros for a water coffee in a cardboard cup than in our company, we may stop developing audio apps and start a company based on military apps for spy people on facebook/skype/whatsapp, etc.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Melon_Jack » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:12 pm

+1 for iLok. No issues here =)
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby SpliffSplaff » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:31 pm

Hmm...seeing what my Buddy went through with ilok, i would vote against that and hope you guys come up with something else. Did you contact u-he? Whatever way you choose...ill accept and continue to use this fine product.
SpliffSplaff
User Level III
User Level III

Postby kylen » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:31 pm

richie43 wrote:...Maybe start a poll......?

I vote for whatever keeps Mr. G and the gang in business, even something that exists already that works acceptably and doesn't cause unacceptable price or support pressure.

I have iLok and don't mind it, however I have never had any problem with it. Many, many people have had big problems and there is a lot of internet hate for the thing which could drive potential and existing customers away.
kylen

Postby richie43 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:47 pm

kylen wrote:
richie43 wrote:...Maybe start a poll......?

I vote for whatever keeps Mr. G and the gang in business, even something that exists already that works acceptably and doesn't cause unacceptable price or support pressure.

I have iLok and don't mind it, however I have never had any problem with it. Many, many people have had big problems and there is a lot of internet hate for the thing which could drive potential and existing customers away.

You hit some of my objections. I am certainly not against a more thorough copy protection, I am a huge fan of devs protecting their work. I am not a fan of the dongle style, but I'd adapt if I had to, I guess. But while some people have not had problems with their ilok (good for you!), I personally know 3 studios in my area (Minneapolis, Minnesota area) that were completely unable to work from 1 5 months because of the last ilok debacle.... That's 3 studios in one metro area that I know of, the actual number of affected people is exponentially larger. I know that the problem hurt them quite a bit, and I would love to avoid the Pace protection. I would hope that Acustica will use something other than ilok......
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:49 pm

enriquesilveti wrote:
I don't like USB dongle protections or hardware based protections.

Anyway if customers prefer to pay 5 euros for a water coffee in a cardboard cup than in our company, we may stop developing audio apps and start a company based on military apps for spy people on facebook/skype/whatsapp, etc.

To be fair Enrique, the resistance to ilok is rarely a financial issue, people here are willing to pay for some form of copy protection. I am confident of that. The last Pace debacle hurt many people (some are still having problems), and for some, it lasted many months with little help from Pace. Surely you guys are creative and resourceful enough to find a safer alternative.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries