Login

Pirates !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Pirates !

Postby david1103 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:25 pm

kylen wrote:May Sunny soon meet his darkest days and may any website he encountereth suffer the vengeance of a million swift arrows (approaching at such a rate and frequency as to cause a denial of service attack).
- Ancient Proverb and Curse :twisted:

Mmmmmmm... a DDoS attack on the enemies of Nebula. Punish them! :P
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jorismak » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:49 pm

I'm not talking it good in any way.. not at all..

but you're naive to think that sites like AudioZ are actually the source, they are nothing more than one of the most simplest roots. They are not the people releasing the stuff, cracking it, spreading it ('Sunny' isn't even, he's just a poster there).

The stuff is out there through the scene's exchange and pre-sites, and that are places you don't find on a www-page. You must be on IRC and known to people to have access. They do it as a 'sport', and most of the time also say nothing good about sites which spread their stuff to the public (like torrent sites, etc..).

Anyway, like I said: It's not good, of course. But stopping one poster won't do shit.

that being said, one poster is one poster, and I believe the admin from AudioZ is surprisingly willing to listen. I'm on the 'audiosex' forum, which is a legit forum for home-music producers, and there are a lot of visitors from AudioZ on there as will who sometimes discuss pirated copies like it's normal. And then get banned because there is apparently a rule as to never post the latest version from U-he stuff :). I find it weird to make rules from it, while it all is just plain forbidden in every country (even Sweden I think :)).

But the internet is 80% (or more) *, people will always flame you, specially the 12 year old kids and it doesn't matter how low-profile your application / media production or how big it is, it will be pirated. not much you can do about all those things unfortunately.
jorismak

Postby mightymosaic » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:11 pm

If you haven't noticed yet, all what has been happening in the past few weeks is retaliation for Alex B using new security on his latest libraries. The timing is undeniable.
mightymosaic

Postby richie43 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:00 pm

mightymosaic wrote:If you haven't noticed yet, all what has been happening in the past few weeks is retaliation for Alex B using new security on his latest libraries. The timing is undeniable.

Sort of, but this stuff goes in phases. If you do a search on a few of them, you will find HUGE amounts of big libraries, all of the uploads are dated. I found one post that contained most of what Henry had made up to that point, I was so angry. But I am sure that this current phase is in response to the new licensing, the announcements of a new Nebula and new Aqua plugins around the corner, and just because there is a bigger presence for Acustica. I think this hyper-awareness of the Nebula community is a good thing though, all of the present user-base can be watch-dogs and hopefully put some pressure on some of this.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby kylen » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:02 am

jorismak wrote:
but you're naive to think that sites like AudioZ are actually the source, they are nothing more than one of the most simplest roots. They are not the people releasing the stuff, cracking it, spreading it ('Sunny' isn't even, he's just a poster there)...

That is a fact...but the Curse I'm invoking inherits back upstream, no treachery will be unaffected...I promise! It just needs a little time and fear to spread.

Edit: @ David1103 - yeah Whip 'em good! In Public...
kylen

Postby giancarlo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:16 pm

really really angry.
Here my answer on gearslutz to an user who received a refund and told everyone he was waiting for a crack.
I think all our users (thousands) are using successfully our products and all users who can't use our products (few very few) were ALL refunded. Plus sometimes even we made DISCOUNTS for the time wasted on other products.
But I can't tolerate someone who is invoking piracy because a protected library (protected BECAUSE PIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) WAS NOT working.

Beware.
this is not a nice thing to say about the work of someone who refunded you.
You could say you will never use it, not that you will wait for cracks.

Anyway, lucky for us, we ALREADY started doing actions in order to protect ourselves. We are protecting ourselves and our paying userbase, I'm sorry.

About protection: it is not nebula to be cracked but the library. Each library is loading several DLLs from memory (or dylib on mac osx, this is the reason for libraries not working). The libraries makes something obvious like providing code for decrypting BUT also code less obvious which makes the sound worse if not correctly authorized. Plus anyone can embed malaware easily.

So here my suggestion: don't use pirated software UNLESS you are doing music just for a quick game with your friends. I know that introducing malaware is illegal, but it is illegal to download things protected by copyright too. The thing which is incredibly difficoult to do is getting a proof about WHO introduced malaware in pirated software, which is the main fuel for many anti-virus and anti-malaware and anti-malaware companies (a lot richer than us).

Btw alexb was not responsible about this protection failure, but ME. We started introducting better protection cause people who was sharing our libraries (which were not protected) and alexb reported ZERO sells in few months, so the rant should be address to them. Sometimes the protection FAILS, it means library can't work even if authorized. When we are sure about a trouble we rufund, as you can see alessandro refunded you so your money are safe. We'll try to do OUR BEST in order to make this protection code RELIABLE. I would prefer a simple way like ilok, but we discovered our customers don't like it; I don't see the trouble to be honest and I'll start using ilok as soon as someone will start asking loud for it
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby richie43 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:31 pm

My apologies..... I guess I was upset..... Feel free to remove my post entirely, I can't seem to find that function to do it myself.....
Last edited by richie43 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby giancarlo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:41 pm

mightymosaic wrote:If you haven't noticed yet, all what has been happening in the past few weeks is retaliation for Alex B using new security on his latest libraries. The timing is undeniable.

alessandro started after reporting the ZERO SELLS thingy. Libraries were ALREADY distributed in the past and shared.

We have 2 choices:
- no release
- a protected release

there is a third choice:
- a not protected release and a future complete lacking of releases
giancarlo
Founder
Founder

Postby AcousticYorick » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:51 pm

giancarlo wrote:I would prefer a simple way like ilok, but we discovered our customers don't like it; I don't see the trouble to be honest and I'll start using ilok as soon as someone will start asking loud for it

Please consider this a formal, loud request for iLok on Nebula.

The portability, ease of authorization, and ease of re-authorization if you ever lose a hard drive without warning (as I did recently) make the small cost of the dongle (and/or of another USB hub) no "trouble" at all.
AcousticYorick
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby richie43 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Yikes...ilok. Is there an "ilok-type" alternative? Given the recent HUGE fiasco that ilok users went through (and some are still going through, MANY months later), I think adopting a Pace ilok with Nebula will be a big dividing line for many people. I think with the big push to make nebula more popular and usable, as well as more protected, using ilok will not be a good thing in my opinion. A dongle-style..? Maybe. But I think that an affiliation with Pace will drive many current users away, as well as any would-be potential users. Maybe start a poll......?
richie43
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries