Login

Pirates !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Pirates !

Postby Mplay » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:58 pm

I agree David. Eventually all CP fails! Please have more faith in your customers to keep buying your libraries! I think Nebula is already losing customers with it's current protection. I know I don't like the fact that I depend so much on software that I can't install on a new pc or when a disk fails without requesting a new key. A problem someone who uses the cracked version doesn't have!! If anything you should switch to a serial or key, so paying customers can have the same convenience and the pirates have one argument less for not buying Nebula.
Mplay

Postby cpwade » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:27 pm

david1103 wrote:
cpwade wrote:Protection is clearly the next step... Raising of lib pricing as well.

And goodbye community, goodbye trust, goodbye everything that makes Nebula great. Why not just sell the technology to Waves and be done with it?

I am sat here looking at MY laptop i paid for to do what i please with, not some virtual software prison that someone else holds the keys to, to me software protection is MALWARE on my system working against my best interest. I am expected to pay for this?

Copy protection outdated, backwards looking and self defeating. It hurts sales and spoils the relationship between the company and the user. Nebula is all about community. Its easy to get fooled, it seems like a solution to a problem, but the problem is extremely complex and copy protection is a simplistic and ineffective knee jerk reaction.

Go and look at one of the NFO database sites and see that every bit of software that was in demand has been cracked. The evidence is all there in black and white, even if you wish it wasn't. Have people forgotten that software protection DOES NOT WORK? Why do people want something that does not work?

Developers like Cockos have chosen to trust their customers to the point of zero copy protection. What has happened to their company as a result? Massive vibrant community and a fantastic product. Reaper and Nebula do have a similar background story, very small development team and mass community involvement. Can you imagine what would have happened if Reaper launched with an ILok?

Adding copy protection is much worse than it seems. It doesn't only cause inconvenience and risk possible disaster, it changes the relationship between the user and the company in a negative way. If you feel the same speak up before its too late.

Nice counter point. Thank you. It's what makes these forums great.
cpwade

Postby AlexB » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:50 pm

To my side, as I have said months ago, I have planned to upgrade all programs and if I'll do this it will be CP. The cracked libraries will be obsolete in comparison, so the CP is a good protection for both: developer and customer. If you dislike CP you can still use the old release. Personally I have all my software original and all with CP (syncrosoft, ilock, serial exchange...) and I haven't had any problems.
I don't like that a stupid guy uses the same software than a honest customer, and this stupid guy boast himself to have this fantastic sounding emulation. Sorry, it's my point of view and it is like the balls... Every one have his. :lol:
Mix with the ears, not with the eyes...
Facebook
WebSite
AlexB
Expert
Expert

Postby Antonello » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:10 am

I love this topic.
I think that a balanced solution is the right solution.
The Copy Protection is necessary...without exasperating the customers...
Antonello
God Administrator
God Administrator

Postby mr.tele » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:53 am

Mplay wrote:I agree David. Eventually all CP fails! Please have more faith in your customers to keep buying your libraries!

I agree. Here's an interesting point of view:
"Gaiman on Copyright Piracy and the Web"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

I know it's about books rather than software, but interesting nonetheless. I think david1103 makes a valid point about Cockos, as well.

A question to developers. Have any of you yet noticed a drop in sales since this piracy began?
mr.tele
User Level X
User Level X

Postby richie43 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:34 am

mr.tele wrote:
Mplay wrote:I agree David. Eventually all CP fails! Please have more faith in your customers to keep buying your libraries!

I agree. Here's an interesting point of view:
"Gaiman on Copyright Piracy and the Web"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

I know it's about books rather than software, but interesting nonetheless. I think david1103 makes a valid point about Cockos, as well.

A question to developers. Have any of you yet noticed a drop in sales since this piracy began?

While any CP can be cracked, it at least is not just handing over the software to the "free sites", someone needs to crack it first. I do quite a bit of testing for many plugin devs (not just Nebula/Aqua devs either), and I have seen a few circumstances where some very mild CP at least sends a message to "crackers" that someone cares and is watching. It's like seeing a security guard..... They are not police and can't arrest you, but they are present to deter some people from "going there".
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby cpwade » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:22 am

Perhaps more than anything, it's a sense of security to get everyone going again knowing maybe it won't be in vain.

Imagine spending weeks rebuilding and imaging a vintage console, all the while thinking that your work might be ripped off.

Although, that is the norm in the music industry. :roll:

But we alway keep right on writing, rolling tape and printing don't we?
That's that best part. It's still about love for the craft. No one can take that. :D

Let's just get on with it shall we?
Last edited by cpwade on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cpwade

Postby Mplay » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:06 am

I do get it must hurt, seeing your libraries pirated and I'm not against CP per se. But I wouldn't want to lose potential customers over it. At least some of the pirates should be potential customers and are just trying before buying. Hopefully Nebula has some hidden CP that will kick in. I know Urs from U-he mentioned his cracked synths have delayed cp and he can tell as he sees he's sales go up when it kicks in. Still he manages to use just a serial. I'm always glad to give him my money.
Mplay

Postby lordnielson » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:48 am

I wonder if the hardware companies would have liked to use copyright protection ?

After all we are copying their (for some lifelong) work. Cheaply and conveniently spreading them to the masses.
lordnielson

Postby dwagrimm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:21 pm

...oh yes please make a copyprotection and make it more difficult or problematic to your customers yes please...
here a small information, every copyprotection was / is cracked in final. people they dont want to pay the developers without a cp will not pay the developers with a cp. you make it only difficult to the "payer´s". thanks.

...the best is an use of ilok... then I´m definitaly gone...

yes I dont like it to pay for stuff and other use the same stuff for "free" as cracked version yes but are you realy sure a cp will stop that? send a question to waves or softube or plugin aliance or else. are they 100% safe with a cp? I dont think so.

please push your stuff and dont wast your time with the wrong question. how much people here pay for the developers stuff? not enough? we all will lose some things sometimes . sometimes more sometimes less. thats not nice but it is. hey alexb thats the best way if you dont support the user they dont pay you. you do it right. yes thats cool but do you realy belife a cp make it better to you? and you can be sure I respect you and your work. you are my favorite developer.

I think the best way is if the developers act as one and contact activ the crackers pages. some will respect your work and cancel your cracked stuff. they do.
dwagrimm
User Level IX
User Level IX

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries