Login

Pirates !

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Pirates !

Postby Jacquard » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:58 am

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to chime in and say with a bit of regrets that a lot of cracked versions of 3rd party libraries have been popping up lately on the web.

While it is showing that Nebula is truly an interesting and incredible tool (even if we all know it already !), it's still sad to see the hard work of AlexB, AITB, CDSoundmaster, Henry, etc... not getting the full support they deserve from real customers.

Just like every other quality audio plugin right now, it is no surprise that Nebula has become a target of choice for crack teams. It is kind of the end of the golden era of "Nebula, the secret weapon for ITB mixing"... :geek:

Cheers
J.
Jacquard
User Level 0
User Level 0

Re: Pirates !

Postby ericus » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:32 am

Which is really sad cause the software itself and the 3rd party libs are so affordable... :roll:

I have "friends" that are using cracked copies of Reaper...a 60$ software...like really guys? You can't afford 60$?

Maybe you should tell the devs (in private) about the different places that are leaking the libs?
ericus

Postby botus99 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:24 am

I'm going to be blatantly honest here. I was always a pirate, always, UNTIL I got on the Nebula train and saw the best side of everything this little community had to offer. Now I am REALLY doing more with less, and loving it! Between this and my UAD cards (which get less and less use the more Nebula libraries I get), I have no need for cracked plugins that frankly, sound worse than Nebula anyway!

EVERY person developing here, including Giancarlo, those who helped develop Nebula, and everyone along the way who has sampled their gear into the programs we all love and use today have created a utopia in a way. I have NEVER felt bad about sending my money in the direction of all the great developers! And I will continue to do so! Considering the extremely small-priced libraries out there and all the hard work that has gone into them, the developers deserve MORE than what they get, in my opinion. It's a sad turn of events to see it turn out like this.

Part of me hopes there is a way to identify who is the "traitor" but this emoticon really describes my emotion here... :(
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:34 am

ericus wrote:I have "friends" that are using cracked copies of Reaper...

That's especially funny considering the fact that Reaper works full featured even as an evaluation, so cracking Reaper is more about saying you have cracked it. Using a cracked Reaper won't give you anything that a regular download will..... people are so funny.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby RJHollins » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:08 am

The best hope ...

Those that 'got' the copy will realize the sonic value at a affordable price and would then consider legit purchase and support.

Back to the early daze of the first 'consumer' CD burners ... no music was safe from copies. The biggest group of perpetrators ... us recording engineers! :o It never did stop my visits to the local Record shops and dropping $300 on music that I needed to hear and study. [hey ... a business tax write off].

Without doubt, this hurts our Developers ... AND the NEBULA Community en masse.

I very much believe that monies received for library purchase end up going into procuring the next piece of equipment. Considering the sampling efforts required, the repairs/modifications that are performed on the unit have to be considered ... everyone wants the best quality unit to start!

Then you wonder how many units that have been rented just for the sampling session.

Then the time and expertise to not only create/organize ... but then provide bandwidth and product support.

The Dev know this and more!

The NEBULA Community, as a whole, must protect its' OWN personal interest! It IS our responsibility ... or we'll lose out and/or pay in the long run.

In a very 'selfish' thought ... I'd prefer a small user base. This product is NOT for everyone. Those that have made the leap do so for very personal reasons, and have ... or will ... accept the trade-offs of work-flow, convenience ...

Many of 'us' are NOT deterred by the potential 'ear-bud' consumer ... we had people playing music on crappy systems LONG before any of us ever got in the business ... we have no control over that.

Again ... this is personal. Protect what is important.
[Sorry for the poorly displayed rant/preach] :roll:

Sincerely.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby SWAN » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:25 am

oh dear. better not talk about it too much dont want to make it well known. But dont forget - many people who use pirate stuff would never pay anyway - so it does not always mean lost sales. Maybe it could mean more sales if they try it and love it-and want to try more programs...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby SpliffSplaff » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Doesnt make it better or worse if we discuss it here. The honest will stay honest and the dishonest will find it anyway with or without this forum. Lets hope the whole thing has got some advertising effect and will turn the illegal user into a paying customer. Not that anyone deserves this, dont get me wrong, but i feel espacially sorry for Henry :cry: ...even 2 quids is too much to buy...dunno if i should laugh or cry.
SpliffSplaff
User Level III
User Level III

Postby joshuagomez » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:56 pm

I think that's not problem.

So any cracked plugin users don't work on serious jobs.No big studio,no money making...The most important part is they are not professional.They're only looking for new toys.I think even they don't know how to use those plugins.Already they are not customer portfolio.

Cause they don't know what they do.Everyday new plugins!OMG! I could really go crazy with lots of plugins. :?

Don't think about them.

I'm developer,too.And they cracked my plugins,too.But no matter.

I know there are some honorable guys to pay us what we deserve. ;)

BTW i have no my own Nebula.I'm using free version and my friends Nebula Pro at his studio.I have to go his studio to recording.And i sample gears from other studios and gear shops.

Of course i can use Nebula 3 Pro for free with crack.But It makes me feel worse.

So,really don't think about those parasites. :mrgreen:
joshuagomez
User Level II
User Level II

Postby Henry Olonga » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:48 pm

I will speak for myself on this - Thought about this long and hard before launching into this and whether to use copy protection etc. decided piracy was an occupational hazard in a way. If I did use CP it may inconvenience customers somewhat and also no cheap CP seems safe. Also if I stopped being a producer then where would that leave customers if they wanted to authorise later? CP that is tied to a system dies with that system. I used to own Gigapulse VST and that is now a nightmare trying to authorise after Tascam abandoned it. So there are long term considerations for those who buy products like this and as a consumer of digital products I now appreciate CP that I can use easily - or none at all.

So after all that, I decided that customer satisfaction/convenience was uppermost and to be honest I believe most honest customers see what I am trying to achieve. Produce many high quality products,provide them on the affordable side and also raise a little for a good cause. Sadly not everyone in the world is idealistic and supports that but thanks to the folk who do. You are the reason I keep working to bring tools that make your music improve.
The sad thing of course is that there have to be legitimate customers who are seeding these files - how else do they get out? Hopefully some pirates will get converted to our side by realising the value the products bring to their final products. I am not one of the angry ones about this as I try to do lots of things and not put all my eggs in this basket. However - other developers really depend on people buying their products as they are more full time. Doesn't mean I condone it though. Thanks to the community for supporting me. I am a member of many forums - video, photography, art and many more but this is by far the friendliest and most rewarding - so far.

However there is a lot of mediocre music out there being made by pirates, even with Nebula products so I don't feel too bad. You can't polish a turd :D ( obviously everyone on this site makes great music LOL ;) )
Last edited by Henry Olonga on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Henry Olonga
Expert
Expert

Postby richie43 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:07 pm

joshuagomez wrote:So any cracked plugin users don't work on serious jobs.No big studio,no money making...The most important part is they are not professional.They're only looking for new toys.I think even they don't know how to use those plugins.Already they are not customer portfolio.

That is optimisitic, but not realistic. I remember more than a few studio sessions that I did as a musician-for-hire at other studios and being shocked finding out that they had many cracked plugins. And not just a few, but MANY. And not just one studio, but probably 3 or 4. One in particular had a huge Waves suite (which I hate the sound of anyway, but that's not the topic....) that retailed at the time for many thousands of dollars. And these 3 or 4 studios are all in the same metro area that I live in (Minneapolis area), and I haven't been in even half of the studios here, so...... I can assume that commercial studios using "crack-ware" is more common than we realized. I used to use cracked plugins to demo things that had legit demos that were so crippled it was ridculous. If I like it, I actually resisted the temptation and paid for it. But I had a near-disaster IN SESSION when one of my "try-before-you-buy" plugins almost brought my system to it's virtual knees..... I think that people eventually get what they put in, Karma is not selective in this universe. I respect the hard work that is put into the tools that I love, and am grateful for the lack of or simple copy protection in the software I use. That includes all of the Neb-Devs and a few "algo" devs that make plugins that I actually still use. I wish someone brilliant like Henry, Michael, Cupwise, or Alex would devise not a new copy protection, but a software time bomb that erases hard drives, but only on computers used by pirates..... lol. I am not usually mean-spirited, but whenpeople steal from good folks, it burns me up.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries