Login

G76 Harmonics or One176 Compo Mojo?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

G76 Harmonics or One176 Compo Mojo?

Postby beingmf3 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:11 pm

What do you guys think: in a "Mojo → algorithmic compressor" scenario, is it worth to buy the whole "G76" suite just for the "Harmonics" programs, or is the One176 Mojo delivering the same kind of tone?

When I tried the G76 "50% harmonics" demo, I was totally stunned how much it added to the sound I was looking for. Generally I love Henry's programs, so this might be a no brainer anyway, but I want to avoid too many redundant programs to choose from.

(I certainly would be happy if the G76 Harmonics could be acquired separately)
beingmf3

Re: G76 Harmonics or One176 Compo Mojo?

Postby musicgreator » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:33 pm

I personally prefer the G76 Nebula Compressor programs over algo plugins. In my experience algo plugins add something unpleasant which can't be undone with Mojo programs. Therefore i try to use Nebula instead of algo plugins as much as possible.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby beingmf3 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:59 pm

musicgreator wrote:I personally prefer the G76 Nebula Compressor programs over algo plugins. In my experience algo plugins add something unpleasant which can't be undone with Mojo programs.

I can't complain about algo compressors.
I have to admit though that the "mojo" thing doesn't work will all compressors I've tried – strangely enough the DC8C sounded much better without a Nebula instance before. In case, I'd still have outboard, but I'm getting so close with ITB compression now (thanks to Nebula) that I prefer "100% recall" to "100% analog".
beingmf3

Postby joshuagomez » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:12 pm

I don't understand "mojo"!

I think it's adding only character without any processing,right? But if we use any compressor after "mojo",we can't get compression character.Only "unit" character that we'll get.It will work like preamp.

It's useless for me.
joshuagomez
User Level II
User Level II

Postby ngarjuna » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:11 pm

joshuagomez wrote:I don't understand "mojo"!

I think it's adding only character without any processing,right? But if we use any compressor after "mojo",we can't get compression character.Only "unit" character that we'll get.It will work like preamp.

It's useless for me.

Not exactly. The amount that the circuit itself (and the resulting distortion/saturation/what have you) impacts the sound of the compression would probably surprise you. Just loading a well made mojo program, whether it be one of Henry's or one of CDSoundmaster's, will actually make the program material sound compressed: not in the sense of macro-gain changes (which require an envelope follower, obviously) but many of the micro-gain changes (like transient handling) seem to be captured during that process.
ngarjuna
Expert
Expert

Postby beingmf3 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:08 am

joshuagomez wrote:I don't understand "mojo"!

I think it's adding only character without any processing,right? But if we use any compressor after "mojo",we can't get compression character.

Indeed, you obviously didn't understand it yet :) My point is that the "mojo" programs in fact do change the character of the signal in an absolutely convincing manner. One chain to try is the aforementioned G76 harmonics program in front of the free Density mkIII. Thick!
beingmf3

Postby enigma2win » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:43 am

Correct me if im wrong, but didnt Henry olonga himself say once that the MOJO programs are to be placed AFTER the algo compressor?
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III

Postby SWAN » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:22 am

sorry I dont buy the whole 'mojo' before algo plugin idea...ok maybe its better than algo plugin on its own - but it doesnt turn an algo plugin into a hardware...

the g76 is much more comprehensive sampling but why not try the olonga one first seeing as its so cheap...
Mac Mini i7 quad 2.6

Logic X
Live 9
Reaper
SWAN
Expert
Expert

Postby RJHollins » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:56 am

The 'ordering' of plugs is always for technical and personal reasoning. There are times that 'science' is the rational, other times, the sonic judgment is at the sole discretion of the engineer.

Saying that :lol: If a 'pattern' has evolved, it seems more often that my preference is to use an 'algo' to DRIVE a NEB library.

It may be subtle ... but my thinking is that, say, I've an EQ chain choice.

The 'algos' tend to result in a 2-dimension soundfield. Whereas a NEB EQ seems to enhance with a 3-dimensional display [yes ... I TOO am so tired of that analogy :roll: ].

So if the final plug can maintain a better 'imagery', that would be my preference, and it's usually a NEB preset.

Second ... if I'm working a clean algo EQ ... it makes sense to my ears that I'm driving the following Pre-amp from the EQ. All frequency 'tweaks' are then being evaluated after passing through the Pre.

This is what I find, and more times like.

I'm actually trying to think of an example that would have me reverse the order.

The parallel consideration .... finding the proper 'algo' plug that is clean and transparent AND has all the controls I'd need. This is not an easy task in this day of 'MORE MOJO' ... regardless if the modeling has ANY relationship to the original hardware. [I'm speaking more in a 'purest' mindset].

As usual ... and to the other most despised [abused] statement ... 'there are no rules' ... what this REALLY means is that 'YOU' have to test these things for yourself, training your ears to listen beyond the notes and rhythms. Things like 'sonic textures' ... a basic building block of perceived sound. This is the areas where beauty, grace and kick-ass sounds reside :o

:lol:

Listen, Learn ... it takes a Lifetime ....

maybe more.
:|
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Return to 3rd party libraries