Login

Fate EQ / N**e 1073 - driving the preamp?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Fate EQ / N**e 1073 - driving the preamp?

Postby adambones » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi all

I was listening to a producer guy on YouTube talking about the N**e 1073 being the most-used preamps for colouring vocal recordings. I remembered that the Fate EQ (which I already own) is based on the box so wanted to experiment with it on a vocal track.

Now people talking about the 'big red knob' (the preamp gain) being some magical dial to increase the amount of colour. Is this what the Drive knob in Nebula does, or should I be experimenting with the Input knob?

I can't find anything in the Fate EQ manual about this.

Fate EQ has a 'line in' program, which is just the preamp with no EQ being used. To be honest, I can hear very little difference using this program from the raw track.

Thanks for your input

Adam
adambones
User Level I
User Level I

Re: Fate EQ / N**e 1073 - driving the preamp?

Postby Tim Petherick » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:08 pm

In general even though 1073 pre's are one of the more coloured preamps, they are still quite subtle when in nebula and this is probably very close to the hardware without getting into huge saturation .The sound of a 1073 is a slow ,round and slightly enhanced sound .The Transformer is part of what gives this preamp its round sound .The opposite preamp of this is Probably an A*I which gives a faster transient sort of sound .Again this is its colour .I would say what a A*I does is less subtle than a N**e.

Using the drive control will get you futher away from the hardware but may create some good results .For example cdsoundmasters bogen mic pre can get very fuzzy in a pleasing way with the drive up but it isn't how the original hardware sounded.

I leave the drive allways at the programs original position apart from the Bogen which I change to taste.

If you want to get into high saturation ,I would recommend the 1073 then multiple instances with Tube Booster.

Make sure you hit Nebula at -18db rms not -18db peak
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Masr » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:47 pm

AlexB's color suite has fabulous 1073 preset as well as many others (including fantastic A*I) - it sounds quite different from the Fate EQ. You will hear the difference more clearly on bass heavy material. Once you realize what it does to the bass, you will feel it more clearly on other sources. As mentioned - A*I kicks up the dynamics, N**e tends to impart some creamy heaviness to the sound. ;)
Masr
User Level IV
User Level IV

Postby Metalblast » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:31 pm

a creamy preamp...hm...for my ears are this the mighty Silver73 Smooth (Retro Analog Suite from CD Soundmaster) and the free sebatron presets.
Metalblast
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby adambones » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks all, great info.

Masr - which preset are you talk about from AlexB's color suite? I can't tell from the cryptic names...

Just grabbed the sebatron air/bright presets - loving it!
adambones
User Level I
User Level I

Postby elam » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:04 pm

Masr wrote:it sounds quite different from the Fate EQ.

It wasn't sampling the same "generation" of 1073 than the Fate EQ.If you want to "compare" a AlexB library to the Fate it'd be the "Vintage 73eQ".It will not sound the same anyway as every piece of hardware...

adambones wrote:which preset are you talk about from AlexB's color suite? I can't tell from the cryptic names...

He's taking about the AlexB PCS-PRO AN73 who sampled the AMS N**e 1073 which is different than the vintage units (Fate & Vintage 73EQ, but from the same family for sure...)
elam
Vip Member
Vip Member

Return to 3rd party libraries