Login

Best Nebula Compressor for 2bus duties?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Best Nebula Compressor for 2bus duties?

Postby david1103 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:08 pm

Melon_Jack wrote:Did you change settings in MAST page? I tryed a few demo compessor and cannot say what i'm impressed. AlexB 76D is clippin, Gemini Audio 76 is to soft, and it's like no compession, it's strange. Focus Comp - not bad on very low GR, but nothing special. I've worked with real 1176, bus compressor on Studer and S*L, CL1B and nebula is heaven and hell with comparsion to real world compressors. Sometimes algo compressors works better (Logic comp suddenly). Maybe i'm doing something wrong or have a bad settings? Tried settings from Gemini - almost same result. =(((((

Have you tried:

http://www.cupwise.com/cup/rayphlex661x2-a/

?
david1103
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Melon_Jack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:38 pm

Nope. Is it worth to try? I want 1176 style compression mostly, and dunno, can this help me..
Sorry for my bad english =))
Melon_Jack

Postby Gemini Audio » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Melon_Jack wrote:Did you change settings in MAST page? I tryed a few demo compessor and cannot say what i'm impressed. AlexB 76D is clippin, Gemini Audio 76 is to soft, and it's like no compession, it's strange. Focus Comp - not bad on very low GR, but nothing special. I've worked with real 1176, bus compressor on Studer and S*L, CL1B and nebula is heaven and hell with comparsion to real world compressors. Sometimes algo compressors works better (Logic comp suddenly). Maybe i'm doing something wrong or have a bad settings? Tried settings from Gemini - almost same result. =(((((

If the G76 isn't compressing, you have to increase the input.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby cehas » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:45 pm

I just studied more about Nebula and as a result, flipped the AlexB "DTE Mastering Comp" to full TIMED mode on the KERN page..

:o

Nothing has ever sounded so good.
cehas
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby Tim Petherick » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:16 pm

Hi

about the focus comp, Did you install the last .np2, you'll get much better gain reduction with that, here-

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21072780/FOCUSCOMP.N2P
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

Postby Melon_Jack » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:44 pm

Thanks! I'll try it tomorrow! =)
Melon_Jack

Postby mappel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:52 pm

hi everyone,
I'm a little confused about all the different settings that come with the cupwise 609 and rayphlex compressors...
I quiete often use compressors with slow attack and fast release settings...
which program is a good starting point for 2-3 db compression to A) beef up some synth or vocals and B) for your drumbus? Do you use feedforward or feedback / rms or vu or peak detection? what's your to-go starting point program?
thanks for helping out,
michael
mappel
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Cupwise » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:39 pm

i would say you should just start with the base set, which is closest to the hardware out of all of them, and get used to it. try to get the results you want with those programs. and that's not the 'fast attack' programs in the main category, because those use less feedback to allow for faster attacks. so just use the standard default programs and get used to them for a bit.

then you might try the stuff in 'alt' which still uses 100% feedback but with different detection modes. maybe try the rms one in there. but at the end of the day you have to just start using the stuff and listening to what it does and decide if you like it with whatever you are trying to do.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby harmonik » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Cupwise wrote:there are other issues common with nebula compression, but on top of those, there is also the question of 'program dependent behavior'. as far as i know, no nebula comp even attempts to replicate that. these things can be measured and analyzed too, so it's not just a matter of opinion.
check this out for an idea-
http://www.uaudio.com/blog/digital-emulation-of-distinctive-compressors/

most of the 'beloved' classic comps have some form of that going on. am i knocking nebula or any comp programs? no, just pointing out that there is still a factor that simply is not present.

You only mean fast attack and auto-release (amplitude), correct? For example, Nebula should be capturing frequency dependent behavior, right?

In any case, what is the (full) list of issues?
harmonik
User Level V
User Level V

Postby Melon_Jack » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:47 pm

Still trying to figure out, what's wrong with 76D and cannot understand...
That's what happening then i try to compress some track..

AlexB, maybe you can help?
Tried with tweaked XML and stock.. No luck..
Attachments
BASS_76D_DEMO.wav
(2.8 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
Melon_Jack

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries