Login

Best Nebula Compressor for 2bus duties?

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Best Nebula Compressor for 2bus duties?

Postby enigma2win » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:10 am

I've searched many topics in this forum, and so far nobody can say "u can rely on nebula compressors for 2bus duties". Is this really true?

I've been using the FTS Buss Comp from AlexB for my 2bus duties... basically to glue things and make the mix for concise... But, idk, seems like it lacks something...

So, what do you guys think? Are Nebula compressors good for 2bus duties? And if yes, which ones?
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III

Re: Best Nebula Compressor for 2bus duties?

Postby musicgreator » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 am

You should definitely checkout KultComp from Gemini Audio, especially the "NC" programs. I know mastering engineers that use it.
musicgreator
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby fpoitevin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:14 pm

The answer is in your ears.
I compared the 4K bus comp by AlexB, the Snap Comp of AITB and a SLL bus comp clone that I made. The 4K Alex B and my clone are very similar. The Snap Comp is more colored. The only reason I use mainly my clone is because I love turning buttons... But these two programs are my goto comps for gluing punchy music.
For another kind of sound, more "classical", "natural", I use the AlexB Fenix. Simply gorgeous...
I only use these programs to glue with no more than 2 or 3 dB of GR. I never tried to go further.
My answer is that these comps programs (and others) are made for what you ask. Try to make some blind tests : same piece with different comps, match the levels (better than 0,5 dB if possible), shuffle the files and listen. You'll get here the right answer.
Have fun and trust Nebula...
fpoitevin
User Level VIII
User Level VIII

Postby botus99 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:00 pm

Nebula compressor on the 2buss? Yes please :mrgreen:

I always rock The Snap or The Fenix. A lot of times, I won't even hit them harder than 1db reduction, 2db at the most. I ALWAYS use the AlexB GMD or DTE afterwards as well, even if it's just for the color.

I like the FTS, but its usually TOO fat! I mean that in the best way possible haha. It's a great comp/color tool! I should throw that sucker on something soon :P
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby enigma2win » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

I dont own any of the S*L compressors. In terms of compressors I own the KultComp and the Fatso Compressors for Nebula.

I generally make EDM, the Fatso does give me great results no doubt. But, I asked this question because I wanted to know if there was something else out there with the same potential or more for EDM.

I agree, its very FAT (the fatso comp that is), I usually use the Fatso Buss comp followed by the ANAMOD saturation and tapebooster for extra punch. They are all pretty clean i must say. Cleaner then using R2R in my opinion...And punchier as well!! But for the kind of music I make im guessing the fatso is great.

I noticed someone said something about the S*L compressors, would u say the difference is better for EDM, between them and the fatso?
enigma2win
User Level III
User Level III

Postby botus99 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:59 pm

For EDM? I'm not the right person to ask haha. I can tell you this though, if it's S*L, it packs PUNCH. If punch is what you want, take a look at anything S*L. I've heard that AlexB's Modern Logic Console works great with electronic music.
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby sfunk » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:19 am

When i read comments on Nebula compressors i am never sure if its proponents are telling us how the compressors really respond or how they would like them to.

So when you say "the 4K Alex B and my clone are very similar"

Does this mean:

1. The coloration of the circuit
or
2. It behaves like the compressor it is named after

Two very different things!
sfunk

Postby vicnestE » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:49 am

MWD and Fenix.
vicnestE
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Cupwise » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:57 am

sfunk wrote:When i read comments on Nebula compressors i am never sure if its proponents are telling us how the compressors really respond or how they would like them to.

So when you say "the 4K Alex B and my clone are very similar"

Does this mean:

1. The coloration of the circuit
or
2. It behaves like the compressor it is named after

Two very different things!

there are other issues common with nebula compression, but on top of those, there is also the question of 'program dependent behavior'. as far as i know, no nebula comp even attempts to replicate that. these things can be measured and analyzed too, so it's not just a matter of opinion.
check this out for an idea-
http://www.uaudio.com/blog/digital-emulation-of-distinctive-compressors/

most of the 'beloved' classic comps have some form of that going on. am i knocking nebula or any comp programs? no, just pointing out that there is still a factor that simply is not present.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby SWANG » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:36 am

^funny you should show up in this thread, tim. i was just about to recommend your rayphlex library for 2 buss compression. i used it to parallel comp my 2 buss on a mix i did recently. what a pleasure it was to hear the results! i'll be happy to share them here soon, but in the meantime, i highly recommend it to anyone looking for quick, clean and warm 2 buss compression in nebula.
ok, bye!!!
SWANG
Vip Member
Vip Member

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries