Login

What kind of preset names do you prefer? (Please vote!)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

What kind of preset names do you prefer?

Names that are readable without truncation on all pages but can become rather cryptic because of the 16 character limit
54%
Long names that are easy to read but can only displayed in the preset menu and KERN page in full length (truncated on PROG page)
46%

Total votes : 26

Re: What kind of preset names do you prefer? (Please vote!)

Postby Cupwise » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:33 pm

you can get a quick look at the full preset name by clicking the gui as if you are changing programs, and navigating through the list to 'last'. then you see a checkmark by which one you are using. only problem is that it doesn't work if you've saved and loaded the project with the DAW/host.
anyway, it's how i usually check.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby analoginthebox.com » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:56 pm

anyway, it's how i usually check.

+1

A small and easy (IMHO) change would be to implement a new tag in the XML.

1) Keep the old tag faor LCD display:
<NAME> EAR Lg Room1 </NAME>

2) Add new one which will be used for preset menu:
<LONGNAME> E.A.R. Large Room 1 - 44.1kHz </LONGNAME>

But like I said, smthg like this has been requested since a long time, so let's organize the CURRENT THINGS
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby RJHollins » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:24 pm

?question before vote?

Are the Nebula SKINs that limited that a presets' name cannot be displayed in the VST title bar?

To the vote ...

Developer CDS has probably refined the Art of 'cryptic nomenclature' providing specific patch details.

In the heat of creative focus/work flow, the deciphering is like hitting a brick wall ... forcing a different mindset or distraction at that moment.

This is compounded due to the necessity of 'itemizing' an entire hardware unit [i.e.: EQ] into multiple patches.

To date, my most preferred naming method were those provided for REAPERs FX Chains. At the moment, I forget who did this fine work, as I'm horrible with names [and naming] :oops: Only wish that the latest libraries were included [i wish, i hope] :P

With current limitation ... I'd have to vote for naming that provides the most specific details ... particularly EQ & compressors.
i7-5820k, MSI X99A Plus, 16 GIG Ram, Noctua NH-D14, Win-7 Pro [64-bit], Reaper-64

NVC [Nebula Virtual Controllers]
RJHollins
Expert
Expert

Postby analoginthebox.com » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Are the Nebula SKINs that limited that a presets' name cannot be displayed in the VST title bar?

Yes. It could be done only by the main Nebula code, not by skins or programs.
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Cupwise » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:56 am

i just thought of a possible alternative. it's nice to have the 'description' entry filled with some kind of supplemental info about what the effect is or whatever, but how about just using it for the 'cryptic' preset name that tells the important info about the preset?

that way, the preset/program name can be nice and long and make sense when you see it in the pop-up list, even if it will be truncated in the main GUI window, which won't be so bad because just below it you will also see the 'cryptic', 'coded' program name that tells you all the details about what it is.

another thing is that instead of having the 'cryptic' 'coded' version in the description, you could just have written out in actual words, the rest of the program name that is cut off by the truncated GUI. for example, if you full program name is 'super badass preamp preset number five' and nebula gui only shows 'super badass preamp' then you could put 'preset number five' in the description which will appear right under it.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:42 am

again... +1 to Cupwise.. he's wise isn't he? ;)
lipa

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries