Login

What kind of preset names do you prefer? (Please vote!)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

What kind of preset names do you prefer?

Names that are readable without truncation on all pages but can become rather cryptic because of the 16 character limit
54%
Long names that are easy to read but can only displayed in the preset menu and KERN page in full length (truncated on PROG page)
46%

Total votes : 26

What kind of preset names do you prefer? (Please vote!)

Postby analoginthebox.com » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:30 pm

We would really appreciate it if you take some time to read this post and vote in the poll.

I made this poll here, not in our AITB internal forum, so all 3rd party developers can benefit from this post and decide on how to use this information.

So, let's start...

As you might know Nebula has been limited to preset names of 16 characters in the past. This limitation has been removed partially when Giancarlo introduced the new preset loading menu. Here we can beyond 16 characters:

The drawback is that the the name on on the "PROG" page of the LCD display will be still be truncated to 16 characters.

Once loaded, the full name (if it exceeeds 16 characters) can only be viewed on the KERN page (in the bottom status line) or in the "Last Menu" of the loading menu.

The only solution to have the names displayed correct everywhere is to stick with the maximum of 16 characters which can lead to rather cryptic preset names. This example for our "PhantasyQ" is an easy one, things could get even more cryptic (as you might have experienced :oops: )

So, back to poll:
What do YOU prefer?

Again, thanks for reading and voting!
We will use the results for tuning our next libraries and maybe renaming the older releases.

Niklas
//analoginthebox.com
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Re: What kind of preset names do you prefer? (Please vote!)

Postby botus99 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:30 pm

More cryptic names that are readable on the main screen is something I would prefer. As long as the naming system makes sense, it will be memorized.

Plus it makes you look like some freak genius when you KNOW which one will work, select a program with weird names and numbers, then the track just explodes out of the speakers (in the good way, of course).
Win10 Pro 64 / i7 6700K / 16gb RAM / Reaper | Allen&Heath ZED-R16 / Echo AudiofirePre8
Nebula Ultimate - Ochre, Red, Charly, Tan, Orange, Blue, Navy, Purple, Amethyst, Lime, Sand, Pink, 2412, 7236, Titanium, Aquamarine, Coral
botus99
Expert
Expert

Postby adam73 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:39 pm

i voted for both because so far i've never really had any issues with the naming of programs, even the cryptic clue's can be easily deciphered as to what hardware/software has been sampled with a quick google search, all's well as it is, although i do appreciate if the desciption could be expanded upon then why not :D
adam73
User Level III
User Level III

Postby Cupwise » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:45 pm

i vote for having nebula updated to deal with both appropriately. same for category names. being limited to 3 letters for a category is just crazy. these things are a perfect example of the stuff people are talking about when they say the GUI is confusing, and they make nebula seem outdated.

i don't feel the need to say that i still love the program (i do, obviously). i'm just talking about some of the things that i think have combined to hold it back from exploding into a much more widely used/successful thing. navigating and finding favorite presets should be more of a 'joy' than a task. imagine if users could organize the presets right in Nebula, similar to how you can with NI stuff! that would = next level. even the 'description' is limiting. if each preset could have more detailed metadata to go into a little more depth about what they were and how to use them, or whatever notes a dev might choose to put in there, it would be a nice option.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby lipa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:21 am

+1000 to cupwise ;) it's 2013 goddamnit!! not 1985..

I voted for long names cause things like exact freq and gain descriptions in APEq combos presets saved me sooooo much time.. (You know names like: +50 -240 +1,5 -10 etc. - please do them in the future - both the combos and such preset names) ;)

Going through libraries like "the drum compressor" could be so much easier with these descriptions.. and now it can get me a headache..
lipa

Postby dagovitsj » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:17 am

+1 for both Cupwise and lipa.
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby analoginthebox.com » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:04 am

@Cupwise. Yeah! But we were already praying for improved preset management / more space way before there was Nebula3 or even NAT released! 8-)

So let's try to optimize what we have right now! :geek:

(But hope is the last to die... So let's see what Nebula4 will bring! ;) )
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby enriquesilveti » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 pm

More cryptic names that are readable on the main screen.
Enrique Silveti.
Acustica Audio customer and technical support.

MBP 11.5 (i7-4870 | 16 GB | 512 SDD)
SP4 (i5-6300 | 8 GB | 256 SDD)
UFX | Lyra2 | USBPre2
VM U15 | VM Win10 | VM OSX 10.12
N4/NAT4 | SPX3 | RX5 | LN2C | Smaart8 | R5 | PT12 | PX10 | NIK5
enriquesilveti
Expert
Expert

Postby Dogbite » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:21 pm

I think it would have to be the abbreviated names that make more sense, although I have a nervous twitch that starts when I see names like BAS-CLN-14-HI-10K in a list of hundreds.

Only because long names would still have to be too long in some instances to make sense!

Better to try and have a standard that everyone works to.
Dogbite
User Level VI
User Level VI

Postby analoginthebox.com » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks for your feedback so far - keep it going!

20 votes are not much - but there is a small tendency (which I didn't expect! :) )
analoginthebox.com
User Level XI
User Level XI

Next

Return to 3rd party libraries