Login

Gene Lennon Nebula Libraries

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Gene Lennon Nebula Libraries

Postby Owen » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:28 pm

I've asked Gene this evening if he could look at this thread.

Owen ;)
Owen
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby jpchartrand » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Barendse wrote:
beingmf3 wrote:Sorry but I have to ask again: nobody has the problem with the input levels???
This is one example I tried yesterday:
Voice @ -18dB max. -> send -6dB -> GL Reverb w/ FX level @minimum

Not only I get constant overload, with several programs Reaper will auto-mute the Nebula track – which means the output must have been higher than +18dBFS!
Nobody?

Same problem here. Very annoying.

I have the same problem. The ouput is far too loud, even with the fx slider at 0 is sounds distorted. I don't understand what's going on, previous release did sound great.
jpchartrand
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby genelennon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Hi all,

First, sorry for the delay getting back to you. The process of becoming an “Official Nebula Developer” caused a few issues with my original login account from the old website(long abandoned) , and the account I was asked to add for developer use. It is all cleaned up now.

As to my library levels, here is some backstory...my original release, was somewhat of a battle between me and NAT. Even using top pro converters, I was not satisfied with the results I was getting, particularly in my early attempts. I tried Digital to Digital and the best analog hardware and I could always hear a little metallic edge to the sound and I frequently had artifacts very low in the reverb signal. They were noticeable if you soloed up the reverb return and listened to the entire tail fade out at high level. This was not going to work for my use, and I was absolutely not going to do a commercial release with these kind of issues. First and foremost I had to be happy with the sound. After a few weeks of experimenting with the various NAT setting, as well as input and output levels, I was getting good results, but one of my “secrets”was to use conservative levels going into and out of the converters. This resulted in a far more realistic sound but with lower output levels from Nebula. After some more tweaking, I was able to get some of the samples to be essentially indistinguishable from the original, but levels were still a little low. Nonetheless, this astounded some of my producer friends who, quite frankly, did not believe that this could be accomplished. They encouraged me to do the commercial release.

To get 12 good patches, I had to abandon many of the original patches in the box that I wanted to use because no matter how many times I tried, some patches (particularly those with dense and complex modulation routing) still had artifacts. When I had 12 good ones, I did the release, knowing that I would continue to work on the process to get what I ultimately wanted.

I should interject here that NAT does allow a 2-part process where you can make adjustments to the wave files then do the deconvolve process. In theory, this would allow a standardized level. Unfortunately, using this method has resulted in secondary issues that I consider compromises in the sound quality, for the moment I have abandoned this approach. So, each sample is still done with individual input and output levels and the combination of the level variations within the box and NAT result in differing levels within the set.

Moving forward to the current set. I am now happy with the sound and happy with the headroom. I understand that the added gain is disconcerting to some, as are the differences between sample levels. From my perspective, these issues are not as important as the quality of the individual patches. I have tried to make this clear on the website before people purchase.

One of my first purchasers reported excessive levels that could not be trimmed using the Nebula input knob. After a few emails back and forth he let me know that it was resolved. He re-downloaded and reset some settings within Nebula that he had changed back to default. It was never clear to me which one of these two actions resolved the issue. There are many sets in use now with the exact same library with no issues, so this is still somewhat of a mystery. I have tried many things to reproduce it unsuccessfully. If you are having these problems, I invite you to contact me and we will try to resolve them.

At this time I am not planing a third version of the current set. I am working on a 96K set. This sounds simple, but 96 seems to have its own issues.
If you are having technical difficulties or you feel that the set has no value to you, I invite you to contact me directly. My new email address for Nebula user issues is: support at gene lennon dot com.
Thanks to everyone who has purchased.

Gene
genelennon
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby genelennon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:57 pm

One more thing...
There is nothing wrong with using the original set if that is what you prefer. The major difference is in level and headroom. If you purchased after the release of the second set and would like to get the original set, send me an email. Personally I will not go back because I greatly prefer the second set, but I am having no issues with either set.
I will not offer multiple versions going forward. I will offer a free sample of future sets and make it clear that my sets will not work for everyones workflow.
genelennon
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby ericus » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:19 am

Hey Gene,

Just a few words to say that I absolutely love your Reverb lib...no buyers remorse here. :mrgreen:

Eric
ericus

Postby robsogge » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:48 am

Another perfectly happy customer here...
robsogge
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby mr.tele » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:27 am

+1 :D
mr.tele
User Level X
User Level X

Postby dubu49 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:11 pm

I am also going to let you all know how amazing this reverb sounds...!

I already have the classic EMT140 reverb presets with the classic sound but this one by Gene Lennon is excellent in a very different way. Much smoother and finer and modern sounding with a spatial depth. Perfect for a lead vocal on a contemporary pop production without cluttering the track. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
dubu49
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby DavidMeShow » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 pm

I'll be honest, the first time I tested the reverb, I was not very excited ... BUT I swallow my first opinion after using it in a mix with orchestral tracks. I now understand the potential of this library. This is the first time I hear so much "depth" using reverb in Nebula. That said, it does not replace other reverbs that I own but it's having a new place in the world of Nebula. Really useful ! Thank you for making this library available !
DavidMeShow
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Vando » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:52 am

Sounds great! Thanks!
Vando
User Level XI
User Level XI

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries