Behind the Kernel (#10 - November 2012)

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Behind the Kernel (#10 - November 2012)

Postby enriquesilveti » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:35 pm

Gabriel Schwarz from Gemini Audio interviewed

Acustica Audio: How did you know about Acustica Audio and Nebula?

Gabriel Schwarz: I heard about Nebula at gearslutz.com for the first time.

Acustica Audio: Which features do you look for when you decide what gear you want to sample?

Gabriel Schwarz: I usually sample the gear that i want to have available in the box my self. This can be anything that sounds great.

Acustica Audio: How do you handle the noise during the sampling process?

Gabriel Schwarz: I try to always work with the best levels and i use high end cables. Also I make NAT stay as far away from the noise floor as possible.

Acustica Audio: Tell us the main differences from KultComp and KultComp Tube?

Gabriel Schwarz: Both libraries are sampled from the same hardware which is a compressor with an adjustable tube distortion function. The compressor library is called "KultComp" and the tube distortion library is called "KultComp Tube".

Acustica Audio: How hard is it to sample a compressor and why?

Gabriel Schwarz: It's very difficult. I had to experiment for Months to find the sweet spot for sampling the KultComp. It's all about finding the right levels and settings without sacrificing the quality.

Acustica Audio: Are you thinking about releasing any Nebula library in Acqua FX format?

Gabriel Schwarz: Yes, I thought about it but my focus right now is about creating new libraries.

Acustica Audio: Which studio configuration do you use. ITB, OTB or Hybrid?

Gabriel Schwarz: I used to work hybrid a lot, especially for analog summing. Nowadays i almost exclusively stay in the box.

Acustica Audio: Do you use external DSP processing?

Gabriel Schwarz: I used to work with the LiquidMix a lot, however that was before I had Nebula. I've built a little server farm in order to outsource processing power, especially for Nebula.

Acustica Audio: Do you think that audio engineering is better today?

Gabriel Schwarz: I think it always gets better because current engineering is based on knowledge from the past, but we have a lot more possibilities now. Music changes and so does audio engineering. We are able to produce much cleaner signals today which some people might describe as sterile. I won't say better or worse but audio engineering certainly became more complex and it's a matter of taste if you like the results or not.

Acustica Audio: Did you have formal study in audio engineering?

Gabriel Schwarz: Yes, I have studied audio engineering six years ago.

Thank you Gabriel Schwarz!
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to 3rd party libraries