Login

Gemini Audio Releases G76!!! (1176LN) Compressor library

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: Gemini Audio Releases G76!!! (1176LN) Compressor library

Postby vicnestE » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Tuning program pad out effect feedback compressor too??
The limited 6dB output volume knob is different to the pad out?

Based on the demo program NC 12:1 demo under nebula compressor.dll, the fastest attack is kind of convincing, but once it's out of 1.0ms (says 1.09ms),the bassy transients jump back in unexpectedly.
Also the smallest 1s release generates lot of boomy distortion, must bring the value up a bit to avoid unmusical result.

Basically the pumping punchy effect is quite nice and new to nebula, but I find the useful setting range is a bit narrow. Do you think this could be improved at your side??

I've seen nice improvements to the KultComp. And the bundle price is attractive.
vicnestE
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby Gemini Audio » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:48 pm

vicnestE wrote:Tuning program pad out effect feedback compressor too??
The limited 6dB output volume knob is different to the pad out?

Based on the demo program NC 12:1 demo under nebula compressor.dll, the fastest attack is kind of convincing, but once it's out of 1.0ms (says 1.09ms),the bassy transients jump back in unexpectedly.
Also the smallest 1s release generates lot of boomy distortion, must bring the value up a bit to avoid unmusical result.

Basically the pumping punchy effect is quite nice and new to nebula, but I find the useful setting range is a bit narrow. Do you think this could be improved at your side??

I've seen nice improvements to the KultComp. And the bundle price is attractive.

Yes, the output volume knob is different to the pad out. Pad out will affect the display. The G76 NC programs have very fast attack and release. One of both parameters must be a bit slower in order to avoid big gain jumps. The fastest release will work well with slower attacks and vice versa. So while you may need very fast times for one of both parameters, using the fastest times for both parameters won't work. Don't get confused with the 1-9 display, it's just a number. The hardware as well as the G76 dont display the actual times, just a number from 1-9. Try pressing the shift key while adjusting parameters for finer tuning. Maybe nebula will offer better fine tuning of parameter soon.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby Gemini Audio » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:29 pm

The G76 has just been updated! An issue with the peak detection programs, and the missing ratio slider in some of the combo programs has been fixed.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby jorismak » Tue May 20, 2014 3:50 pm

I hope it's probably me, but I'm having trouble getting this to respond a bit like the software-plugs I know of 1176's. Talking specially about the all-buttons-in mode.

In all-in mode the amount of gain reduction I see in algo-comps is flying all over the place, which is what I'm looking for. The gr-needle is jumping from 3 to 10 to 3 again all the time (compressing a drum room mic) so to speak.

I can't seem to get this from G76, even with the NC9 programs and the UP/PROGRAMRATE tweaks in the .xml file.

Doesn't matter what I try to do with the input level and the threshold, but it seems to hover around a certain amount of gain reduction. (The reduction I _see_ in Nebula for example varies between 7.2 and 7.8 db of gain reduction. A far cry from the 'between 3 and 10' I see in algo-comps). Also listening to the result seems to confirm this.

edit: After playing some more I got a lot closer to the squashed-to-bits-room-sound. I need to put the release all the way on 1.00 (fastest, right?). If I even nudge it a tiny bit higher (1.01 with shift-fine control) it alters drastically.
It seems like (making up numbers here but for comparison) 1.00 release in G76 matches 1.00 release on algo-comps. But 1.01 release in G76 is closer to 6.00 release on algo-comps. So if I want something more close to '2.5' I have a problem :).

Also, what is that blinking Q doing in the top of the Nebula LCD?

And let's be clear, it's OK to say 'nebula cannot do that yet'. I just thought from the remarks in this thread that we had a turning point so to speak :).
Also, since I'm only comparing it to algo-comps, the answer might be 'the real thing is more like G76 than those algo comps'. Who knows, I haven't use a real 1176 or 'even' a reissue, so it's new to me :). But I did some bounces at work through NativeInstruments 76 and T-Racks Black76 and they sound so scaringly close with the knobs the same way, that I kinda expected Nebula to be able to match that, and then add all the nebula-goodness on top of it.
jorismak

Postby Gemini Audio » Sat May 24, 2014 7:53 am

The steps which nebula has for those parameters do not yet allow fine enough adjustments. I spoke to giancarlo about that, so it may improve in the future. Also the ability to enter a certain value would be great for that purpose. You have figured it out already, but i'll say it again, that you get the fastest values, when the faders are at the top (knob turned fully clockwise, depending on the skin) like with the hardware.
Gemini Audio
User Level XI
User Level XI

Postby jorismak » Sat May 24, 2014 6:22 pm

let's be clear about one thing, I don't get any distortion or artifacts, so it catches everything. This is already much better than the way older Nebula compressors.

After much fiddling I managed to get some sounds out of it which do what I want (and are quite impressive), but you'll have to play around with using multiple instances after each other (instead of one and cranking the threshold slider).

Also, for sounds in algo plugs (which have a range of 1 to 7) I'm playing around with attack/release values between 1.5 and 4. For the same kind of sounds, I need to play around with attack/release values of 1.00 to 1.08 in G76. So yeah, quite picky.. thing is, what comes out of it eventually is awesome.

I don't know in how many steps you samples the attack/release knobs, but it seems very coarse indeed. (In reaper anyway) I can do quite good fine tuning by holding keys while using the mouse-wheel to control the sliders, and switching to the 'no-GUI' mode of the plugin and adjusting the values in Reaper.

But I have the feeling the attack/release sliders could (should?) be more precise.. _way_ more precise... but for me it's workable now, and as I said, nice sounds out of it only 30,- euros. No algo plug can beat that :P.
jorismak

Previous

Return to 3rd party libraries