Login

a couple Bricasti M7 presets

Officially Licensed 3rd Party Developer Libraries
Free 3rd Party Programs

Re: a couple Bricasti M7 presets

Postby Cupwise » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:53 am

kkunkel wrote:I used some reverb session templates that Enrique sent me and that's the way it was setup. Will more kernals equal a better sound with a reverb? I thought it was more for stuff with harmonic distortion? I a seriously a newb at all this so bear with me. :D

i think it would depend on the actual reverb you were sampling. for example if you were sampling some low budget, lo-fi crappy reverb, for use as a special effect, or an old hardware type of thing where distortion will be a big part of the sound, i'd say having some distortion kernels would be a good idea. but for something like the bricasti... i don't really know anything about it personally, but i would guess that since it's a super realistic reverb, distortion wouldn't really be a big part of it's sound. on the other hand, maybe part of their algorithm that they put into the unit actually generates harmonics to subtly enhance the sound. i've never heard of this being done for reverb, but i'm just saying it could be possible, and it would be something i'd recommend trying to find out. if that's NOT the case, then imho i would say it would be ok to have them as just 1k programs. IN FACT, since the size of reverb programs often becomes an issue, i would say that 1k for super realistic clean reverbs might be the best way to go... consider the fact that every kern is like multiplying the overall size of the final thing. if the harmonics aren't really adding anything, is it worth taking a 100mb program up to a 300mb program for them? increasing load times, ram, and adding a massive hit to CPU?

in my opinion, for this unit, i doubt the harmonics would add anything to justify the hit to resources. but the best thing would be for you to test, if you want to see for yourself. you don't have to re-do the sampling, just open the session, go to 'expert', then the 'deconvolution' tab, increase kernel count. to make sure you don't over-write your previous versions you should give them a new program name, maybe just add '3k' to end of it, then hit 'deconvolve'. i think with reverbs you can only go up to 3k, unless you use the 6k reverb template. if you are using default reverb session it probably has the 3k template loaded. id say try with 3k first anyway, that gives you 2 orders of harmonic distortion. compare the results to your current ones and see what you think. to get up to 6k, you'd have to go to 'expert', then 'tone' tab, and beside 'template' click 'browse' and find/go to the 'templates' folder, and pick the 6k reverb template. then raise harmonics count to 6, add '6k' to program name, then deconvolve.
Cupwise
Expert
Expert

Postby dream » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:58 am

Animus wrote:Uploading Rich Plate (1.9 sec tail). Give it about 30 minutes.

http://www.animusmundi.net/songs/RichPlate.zip

I will do a Room for you guys next.

Thanks again! :)
I'm really enjoying these presets.

I don't know how close we are with the real thing but at this point I don't care, for me this stuff is very usable and just sound so good!
Of course if it's possible doing better it'll be... better, :D but, I'm repeating myself, I love these presets.

Maybe it's just the Bricasti, you wanna make my buy it! And, just to say, sometimes I can play around with very good stuff like 480L, TC6000, a few old PCM... I never had a chance to try a real Bricasti yet, but it seems "under the L*****n school".
Mixing Engineer | Producer | Editing Audio Expert
http://www.davidefant.com
dream

Postby richie43 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:56 am

Had to chime in; Loving these presets too. I have worked with a real Bricasti, but I don't own one. Are these "as good" or "like" a Bricasti? That is hard to answer, but I have learned to use Nebual and not even think in those terms. I make decisions based on whether or not a preset enhances my audio or not. These presets sound amazing, definitely enhancing my work.
The Sounds of the Hear and Now
http://soundyaudio.com/
richie43
Expert
Expert

Postby dream » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:17 am

100% agree with you Richie, and I tell you what, tools are just tools. Or you're able to pick up the right one to enhance the emotion, the feeling, the vibe on the music you're working on or not. Tools are just tools. If your mixes are not good enough change your taste before your tools. :)

I've got really inspired to listen to these presets too.
Mixing Engineer | Producer | Editing Audio Expert
http://www.davidefant.com
dream

Postby Animus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:25 am

Yes, everyone should own a Bricasti M7 eventually if you can. It's the best reverb ever created for sure, and a great investment if you are serious about audio. I met Casey a few years ago, and I even helped design a couple of the presets in the version 2 firmware. He was very gracious and interesting †o talk too, definitely knowing his shit. The great thing about having Nebula and owning a real Bricasti is that I can edit the presets to my desire and then sample it. :D
Animus
User Level I
User Level I

Postby Animus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:32 am

Cupwise wrote:
kkunkel wrote:I used some reverb session templates that Enrique sent me and that's the way it was setup. Will more kernals equal a better sound with a reverb? I thought it was more for stuff with harmonic distortion? I a seriously a newb at all this so bear with me. :D

i think it would depend on the actual reverb you were sampling. for example if you were sampling some low budget, lo-fi crappy reverb, for use as a special effect, or an old hardware type of thing where distortion will be a big part of the sound, i'd say having some distortion kernels would be a good idea. but for something like the bricasti... i don't really know anything about it personally, but i would guess that since it's a super realistic reverb, distortion wouldn't really be a big part of it's sound. on the other hand, maybe part of their algorithm that they put into the unit actually generates harmonics to subtly enhance the sound. i've never heard of this being done for reverb, but i'm just saying it could be possible, and it would be something i'd recommend trying to find out. if that's NOT the case, then imho i would say it would be ok to have them as just 1k programs. IN FACT, since the size of reverb programs often becomes an issue, i would say that 1k for super realistic clean reverbs might be the best way to go... consider the fact that every kern is like multiplying the overall size of the final thing. if the harmonics aren't really adding anything, is it worth taking a 100mb program up to a 300mb program for them? increasing load times, ram, and adding a massive hit to CPU?

in my opinion, for this unit, i doubt the harmonics would add anything to justify the hit to resources. but the best thing would be for you to test, if you want to see for yourself. you don't have to re-do the sampling, just open the session, go to 'expert', then the 'deconvolution' tab, increase kernel count. to make sure you don't over-write your previous versions you should give them a new program name, maybe just add '3k' to end of it, then hit 'deconvolve'. i think with reverbs you can only go up to 3k, unless you use the 6k reverb template. if you are using default reverb session it probably has the 3k template loaded. id say try with 3k first anyway, that gives you 2 orders of harmonic distortion. compare the results to your current ones and see what you think. to get up to 6k, you'd have to go to 'expert', then 'tone' tab, and beside 'template' click 'browse' and find/go to the 'templates' folder, and pick the 6k reverb template. then raise harmonics count to 6, add '6k' to program name, then deconvolve.

thanks for the input! I will experiment.
Animus
User Level I
User Level I

Postby dagovitsj » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:06 am

Hi!
I just want to say thank you for these presets, they are really good! I tried the plate yesterday on a vocal, and I was astonished how well it kind of merged into the dry signal, instead of floating on top of it. It sits very good in the mix, the reverb has a certain firmness to it.

I haven't tried a real Bricasti, so I don't know the reverb from before - but I really like the quality of these presets, please do more short spaces if you have time ;)
|Win 7-64bit | Reaper 4. x64, Cubase 6.5.3., 64 & 32 bit | RAM:16 GB | CPU: Intel Core i5 760@ 2,8 GHz | Samsung SSD 830 (256 GB) | WD: Black harddisks | Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Accelerator | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 |Nebula 3 Pro |
dagovitsj
Vip Member
Vip Member

Postby yr » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:33 pm

Animus wrote:
kkunkel wrote:Thanks for sharing, they sound great! Just curios, why did you sample them with only one kernel? Is that enough to get the full sound?

I used some reverb session templates that Enrique sent me and that's the way it was setup. Will more kernals equal a better sound with a reverb? I thought it was more for stuff with harmonic distortion? I am seriously a newb at all this so bear with me. :D

There is virtually no reason to use more kernels. To get any level of harmonic distortion from the unit you will need to sample it using the analog ins/outputs, which will add an unnecessary ad/da conversion. The Bricasti manual states 0.001% THD+N (AD/DA), so if you get any harmonic distortion in your presets it will be more then likely "fabricated" by NAT. Add to that the increase in artifacts relative to the higher number of kernels and you soon realize that the more kernels you add, the further you move away from the actual sound of the unit.

If you like the idea of adding "character" to the presets, you could try going analog and running the Bricasti via a "colored" preamp.
Reuven | post-production & sound-design | scenography |
website | nebula presets
yr
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Postby kkunkel » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:29 am

yr wrote:
Animus wrote:
kkunkel wrote:Thanks for sharing, they sound great! Just curios, why did you sample them with only one kernel? Is that enough to get the full sound?

I used some reverb session templates that Enrique sent me and that's the way it was setup. Will more kernals equal a better sound with a reverb? I thought it was more for stuff with harmonic distortion? I am seriously a newb at all this so bear with me. :D

There is virtually no reason to use more kernels. To get any level of harmonic distortion from the unit you will need to sample it using the analog ins/outputs, which will add an unnecessary ad/da conversion. The Bricasti manual states 0.001% THD+N (AD/DA), so if you get any harmonic distortion in your presets it will be more then likely "fabricated" by NAT. Add to that the increase in artifacts relative to the higher number of kernels and you soon realize that the more kernels you add, the further you move away from the actual sound of the unit.

If you like the idea of adding "character" to the presets, you could try going analog and running the Bricasti via a "colored" preamp.

If I sample a hallway with a lot of character, is it also ok to just use one kernel + mojo from pre amp?
kkunkel
User Level 0
User Level 0

Postby Tim Petherick » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:55 am

nice freebie,

I really like the way the reverb blends into the background.

It's like a modern classic. Good work

Tim
Tim Petherick
Expert
Expert

PreviousNext

Return to 3rd party libraries